Is Shunning an Act of Revenge?

by cameo-d 60 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Does WT demand an act of wickedness to prove loyalty to the institution?

Is shunning a wicked act of revenge?

• reniaa
    reniaa

2 Thessalonians 3:14 (New International Version)

14 If anyone does not obey our instruction in this letter, take special note of him. Do not associate with him, in order that he may feel ashamed.

1 Corinthians 5:9-13 (New International Version)

9 I have written you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— 10 not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. 11 But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat.

12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 13 God will judge those outside. "Expel the wicked man from among you." [a]

1 Timothy 5:20
    Those who sin are to be rebuked publicly, so that the others may take warning.

these are some of the bible scriptures on the why and wherefores.

Reniaa

• CHILD
    CHILD

Shunning is a way of exercising control and emotional blackmail that forces people to obey WT rules.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

I agree with CHILD. It is the way cults operate.

• blondie
    blondie

It is an act of control.

Shunning is the act of deliberately avoiding association with, and habitually keeping away from an individual or group. It is a sanction against association often associated with religious groups and other tightly-knit organizations and communities. Targets of shunning can include, but are not limited to apostates, whistleblowers, dissidents, people classified as "sinners" or "traitors" and other people who defy or who fail to comply with the standards established by the shunning group(s). Shunning has a long history as a means of organizational influence and control. Extreme forms of shunning and related practices have rendered the general practice controversial in some circles.--Wikipedia

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Renaii,

Since you are quoting Corinthians, which was written by Paul....are you saying that WT follows the rules and laws of Paul rather than the leadership of Jesus?

Did Jesus say that you should not associate with people who do not believe as you do?

Shunning seems very spiteful to me.

• carla
    carla

Guess they skip over this part "who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler."- Reniaa ignores this part - Do not associate with him,- here she stays associating with all these wicked apostates. No where in the bible does it say to cut yourself from any who do not believe exactly as you do, no where does it say to toss your children, parents, and siblings out like a bag of garbage and have nothing more to do with them.

Joining the jw's is like joining the mafia or a gang, no way out but death.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

Ren responses are starting to sicken me

• reniaa
    reniaa

hi cameo

Yes I agree it can be used spitefully and it's a measure of the person if that is their motives. I have questioned the scripture above that certainly make a distinction between worldly wrongdoers and brothers who have turned away and should not be associated because of their new ways. Why does the bible especially warn us to avoid them? and I can only see from my experience on here that it's becasue our relationships with them friends or family make us vulnerable to following them. Certainly many on here openly state to an agenda to get as many 'Out' as possible.

It was the biggest surprise for me when debating on these forums that the agenda is set to try and and bring others out of JWs with them and damage the Jws as much as they can for some which actually validates the bibles stance of avoiding brothers/sisters that have turned from the faith.

Reniaa

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Reniaa, if you're going to quote a scripture you really need to look at the whole passage to get it's meaning, rather than just picking out a sentence to misinterpret scripture.

2 Thessalonians 3:14 and 15

If anyone does not obey our instruction in this letter, take special note of him. Do not associate with him, in order that he may feel ashamed. 15 Yet do not regard him as an enemy, but warn him as a brother.

Paul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit