God confused peoples language so they couldn't build Babel....a load of crap!

by Witness 007 49 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ninja
    ninja

someone is taking it serious

• ninja
    ninja

and what about this E U poster?.....many tongues .....one voice.....what are they hinting at?

and again to show what they mean....they have breughel the elders tower of babel picture

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

The WT once claimed that God confused the languages, because technological advancement would have gone too fast and the thermonuclear war would have occurred long before 1914.

They made a similar claim for the reformation, that the world would have turned on religion before 1914 had the reformation not happened.

HB

• parakeet
    parakeet

Henry Higgins's take on the Tower of Babel:

Oh, why can't the English learn to set
    A good example to people whose
    English is painful to your ears?
    The Scotch and the Irish leave you close to tears.
    There even are places where English completely
    disappears. In America, they haven't used it for years!
    Why can't the English teach their children how to speak?
    Norwegians learn Norwegian; the Greeks have taught their
    Greek. In France every Frenchman knows
    his language fro "A" to "Zed"
    Arabians learn Arabian with the speed of summer lightning.
    And Hebrews learn it backwards,
    which is absolutely frightening.
    But use proper English you're regarded as a freak.
    Why can't the English,
    Why can't the English learn to speak?

• reniaa
    reniaa

SO if you don't believe in the bible explanation on how the world got to have such a multiplicity of languages....how did we get so many languages?

Reniaa

• Simon
    Simon
    SO if you don't believe in the bible explanation on how the world got to have such a multiplicity of languages....how did we get so many languages?

Development of language can be clearly traced, blowing a huge hole though the rather childish bible account.

And the reason given in the bible account doesn't even fit the rest of the theology or reality ... what, humans were really going to reach heaven? What a pile of crap. They couldn't go further that a few stories high with the materials and technology of the day.

Maybe god needs to wake up, get off his arse and take a peek at the towers being built now.

• Farkel
    Farkel

reniaa,

:SO if you don't believe in the bible explanation on how the world got to have such a multiplicity of languages....how did we get so many languages?

The same way we get so many dialects in areas that started out with a common language and dialect and then people expanded into new and remote areas. There is no rocket science to that one. The longer people are isolated from other groups, the more their languages diverge.

All spoken languages are living languages. That is, they are under change constantly and words morph into completely new meanings. Just look at early or middle English (like Beowulf or Canterbury Tales) and you probably cannot understand 1/10th of it, yet it WAS English in its day. Even Shakespeare is hard to understand and that was written only about 500 years ago. What would any language look like after thousands of years of morphing? Much different. That's what!

Farkel

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Parakeet-

Honey I dont see how on earth quoting a GAY man from "My Fair Lady" proves ANYTHING.

Henry Higgins spends the entire show dressing Audrey Hepburn in FABULOUS costumes, and do any of us believe he wants her bodY? How gay is that?

God confused languages so boards like this could engender stimulating debate, and ensure that GAY men designed dresses that reduced women to non sexual artistic artefacts.

HB

• parakeet
    parakeet

hamsterbait: Honey I dont see how on earth quoting a GAY man from "My Fair Lady" proves ANYTHING.

A gay man can't have a say about language diversity? I wasn't trying to prove anything about the tower of babel, which is a myth and not a serious topic for debate except for people like Reniaa. It was a comment on the diversity of language.

BTW, in "My Fair Lady," Higgins DOES get Audrey Hepburn in the end. But in "Pygmalion," he doesn't. So maybe gay, maybe not.

• ninja
    ninja

and the stars........two points up.......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit