I want to do volunteer work - this is classic

by heybaby 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• heybaby
    heybaby

It has always bothered my how Witnesses are discouraged from doing volunteer work because "preaching to them about the truth is the best thing we can do!" Ok, yeah, whatever. It's true that the Bible talks about preaching as being important for Christians, but that's FAR from being the only thing that Christians are encouraged to do for their fellow humans. Doesn't the Bible say that "the form of worship that is clean and undefiled" is to "look after orphans and widows in their tribulation"? Yes it does! I always get the same old answer when I mention volunteering: "they can't solve the world's problems, only Jehovah can." Ok, so here's my beef with that. NOBODY is talking about solving the problems of the entire world; I'm just talking about doing what is within my power to help those that I can. It's like saying to someone with the flu "these pills won't cure the flu, they'll just ease the symptoms, so it's not worth taking them." That's freakin' ridiculous!! The flu will get cured in it's own time, but nobody would rightly object to getting a bit of relief while you're waiting for it to happen!! Am I right?! It's just so frustrating. There was a sign in a shop near my house that was asking for clothes to be donated to a shelter for victims of domestic abuse. I went home and told my husband that I wanted to get some clothes together, and he got this look on his face as if I'd told him I wanted to start smoking crack. He was shocked and against it!! Then it was that whole crap about "not solving the world's problems." ANYWAY, that having been said, I really want to look up volunteer opportunities in my local area. Any ideas, thoughts, etc etc?

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

When a dear friend of mine stopped coming to the meetings, he became a volunteer for the local police and fire departments. Another former witness I know she volunteers in cooking meals and distributing food for a local homeless organization.

What you say is the common line of reasoning for JWs. But it is strange that if a JW is in field service and notices a person in need then they should help. Such as getting medicine or food for an elderly householder. JWs suppose to show concern for their immediate neighbors also. But when it comes to times other than field service or the local neighbors, then it becomes entirely different.

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

http://www.volunteermatch.org/

You should try meetup.com. There's a meetup group that does all kinds of volunteer work in my area. If there isn't one in yours, you can always start one. I've read to residents in a nursing home, baked cookies for battered women and walked dogs for the shelter. In the future I hope to be able to take in foster kids or join a big sister program.

• sir82
    sir82

"If you've got so much spare time and money that you can afford to spend hours doing charity work, why are you spending those hours doing charity work instead of the far more important life saving door to door ministry?"

Excuse me a moment.........OK, better now....

Thoughts & ideas...

1) You don't have to tell any JWs what you do with your time. If you want to volunteer go for it

2) Think about a cause you believe in, and google it along with the name of the city you live in...I suspect you'll see all kinds of hits for organizations that would love to have you help out.

• heybaby
    heybaby

sir82: I've heard that one a million times. It makes me sick also!!

I'd really like to do something for a women's shelter or a shelter for abused kids. I can relate to that. My hard-core JW father saw nothing wrong with beating the SHIT out of us, then getting on the stage to give a nice spiritual talk at the TMS. Lovely isn't it?!

• cantleave
    cantleave

I am spending some time volunteering to create a new local nature reserve, hard work but very rewarding.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Battered women's shelters and children's services are always looking for volunteers either in house or to collect donations of clothing, food, toys and money.

• lancelink
    lancelink

Heybaby :

I really appreciate your viewpoint, and yes you make a great point and your basis is very solid !

When I began to think of doing volunteer work, i also was discouraged by the witnesses. Yet I just ignored them

and moved on doing what my heart always wanted,,, working with animals.

There will be something inside you that really improves and glows when you do something such as volunteering for your OWN cause .

As Rocky said to Clubber lang "go for it:

• Girlie
    Girlie

I do volunteer work. It is very rich and rewarding. Not to mention the possibility of meeting some very good people. I say do it and don't give it a second thought. It is truly a "spiritual" experience.

• I discovered
    I discovered

hey baby

NOBODY is talking about solving the problems of the entire world; I'm just talking about doing what is within my power to help those that I can. It's like saying to someone with the flu "these pills won't cure the flu, they'll just ease the symptoms, so it's not worth taking them." That's freakin' ridiculous!! The flu will get cured in it's own time, but nobody would rightly object to getting a bit of relief while you're waiting for it to happen

How long do they really continue helping some one in need. They always have to get back into the field.

How do you think that makes the person in need feel?

I do a lot of vounteer work and I found that is more rewarding than any time I spent

going out in the door to door work. What happened to the good smaritan that they preach about in the door to door work? I say go for it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit