I want to do volunteer work - this is classic

by heybaby 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• heybaby
    heybaby

Thanks for the support everyone!!!!!!!!!

• Mary
    Mary

I used to make homemade soup for the local Soup Kitchen years ago when I still went to the Hall. I was specifically told that it was "a waste of time" by the local elders bozos, which I found most annoying. Didn't Jesus feed the hungry and do charitable works? Didn't he tell us to 'look after orphans and widows'? Didn't the early congregation have people in charge of giving out the necessities to those in need?

The Society's view of charity (outside the Organization) is one of the most tell-tale signs that they really don't give a damn about anyone but themselves. They love to pat themselves on the back whenever they do rebuilding after a natural disaster, and for that they are to be commended. It's on the day-to-day basis of giving to the needy where they are appallingly selfish. There have been countless articles in the Witchtower and Asleep! magazines over the years they tell you what a rip off all the charitable organizations are and indeed, many of them are. However, for those who like to give their time, their own resources and their labours, charitable works are one of the most positive things you can do.

One more sidenote: I remember about 15 years ago, the DO (Bernie Pandachuck) gave a talk at the ASSembly where he told the story of a brother who had never married or had children, and who left $100,000 to the Humane Society when clearly he should have left it to the Borg. Far from praising him, the DO sneered and said "I guess you can literally say that his money went to the dogs." This statement really offended one person who had just been studying and she got up, walked out and never went back.

• mouthy
    mouthy

A friend of mine Nancy was a pioneer for years.
    She now goes every so often to other countries
    with a group to put roofs on the poors homes
    Takes clothing,shoes etc brings back pictures
    of the grateful receivers faces ,She said
    " Grace when I think of the wasted days ,years,
    money I spent in the WT .I feel THANK GOD!! I am free"
    They dont even care what religion the folks they help are

• White Dove
    White Dove

The WT's lack of charity work for the community is one of the first things, besides no holidays, that bothered me from early childhood.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hello HB,

Great thread! Once again the WT go directly against what the bible says.

Here's a good example

James 2:14-17 (New International Version)

Faith and Deeds
    14 What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? 15 Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. According to verse 17, JWs faith is stone cold dead. All the best, Stephen
  • thomas15
    thomas15

I'm an evangelical Christian and a volunteer firefighter. Also I'm the fire company Chaplain and I get to tell people about Jesus all the time, people who I would never get the opportunity and or willingness to hear under normal conditions. They see the Chaplain pin on my dress uniform or sitcker on my helmet and ask me questions. It's a great ministry for the Gospel.

I'm currently in the process of taking EMT classes and will start running medical calls as a volunteer in January. By the way, I started in the fire service in 2004 when we moved to a new state. I didn't know anyone in my area and decided this would be a great way to meet people. I'm 51 years old and love the fire service service, I've taken over 600 hours of state fire school, certified as a firefighter nationally, state certs in car and truck rescue technician, HazMat operations, swift water rescue, confined space and high angle rope rescue, I have extensive training in pump operations a CDL for driving trucks, so on. You local volunteeer fire company can use anyone and for me it has been very rewarding.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit