witness "poem" with scriptures sited... what would you say?

by New light for you 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• megs
    megs

Sorry Didn't mean to hijack the thread... I think the poem is idealistic... I wish it were true, but I don't have the blinkers on anymore.

• OnToYou
    OnToYou

MEGS Point taken. You seem to be well versed in the bible, although I never said if I personally believe it or not. For instance, I never understood, there was something in the new part about third heaven, what ever that is, makes no sense to me. Anyway, what I found confusing, it sounded like NLFY was knowingly going against the book but wanted to "dispute" based on the same book. There are arguments for and against every religion, cult, belief, dogma, etc. in the world. Everybody tells me they can "save" me but noone can show me how. Now I'm just rambling.......T.T.F.N.

• linp24
    linp24

--Hi ontoyou: "You don't believe the bible if you celebrate holidays." Lets say you just received a birthday card from a neighbor who is grateful to you for your recent helpfulness to him/her. Or perhaps you put a few christmas lights on a little bush in front of your home. Are these things wrong? I am a "civilian." Never been a jw. I lurk on this discussion board trying to learn jw beliefs. Thanx.

• megs
    megs

LOL I'm a novice here compared to some... I have a degree in comparative religion, so I can hold my own, but many of the former witnesses here know the bible with a zeal I have never possessed!

Good to see you on the forum, I hope you stay a while, there is a great deal of information on here, and a really diverse crowd of people with very strong opinions! I look forward to hearing what brought you here!

BTW, Paul talks about "third heaven" in Corinthians "I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up to the third heaven." (II Cor. 12:2 KJV). Basically this was the Jewish interpretation of the universe in that there is the sky and clouds (our atmosphere) for first heaven, the place where the sun, moon and stars exist (second heaven), and the place where God resides (third heaven).

• OnToYou
    OnToYou

MEGS That is a very curious explanation which may bring up a couple of questions if you don't mind. Let me look into it and please check back here in a day or two.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

And all who are thirsting for Truth are invited .... Rev. 7:16,17

I think I would have to tell your friend what you have found out about the organization thirsting for the truth.

Whatever your convictions are personally, whether it's the UN thing, flipflopping, etc etc,

purps

• Dagney
    Dagney

I depends on what you want to do. I don't refute the JW dogma anymore with JW's. I choose to remain approachable, if not confusing to them. So I usually try to find the good and thank them.

Like with that email I probably would just say "Thank you! What a clever poem!"

• OnToYou
    OnToYou

MEGS In regards to that third heaven thing, a friend of mine left JWs recently and one of the reasons was that this was not explained properly. I did some checking and apparently the JW interpretation is same as yours. The best I can figure they ware just grasping at straws trying to come up with a good reason. I figure a person does not need a reason to come and go. Why do I have to explain my life to anyone? So I don't get what the whole point of "showing me the light" was. Anyway, since you seem to have some religious education, tell me this. Why do people want to be "saved" so badly, whatever that means? What are they getting saved from? And to what? What is the point anyway? Personally I've lost all my will to live anyway. There is nothing I can accomplish that dying won't arase, so why bother? Just don't get it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit