Have You Had A "Superconscious" Experience?

by metatron 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Robdar
    Robdar

I would be interested in learning about any experiences you have had that are similar - and have you found any way to make this stuff happen more reliably?

Your experiences do not surprise me because I've had some experiences that are really "out there" myself. I seem to come by it naturally but I noticed it really took off after I started meditating.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Big Tex said:

I'm really interested in this. If you don't mind, how exactly do you begin?

I don't mind at all, Precious Tex! In fact, I have been tempted to start a thread on meditation.

I know what you mean, because I was always afraid that I was doing it wrong because I couldn't stop thinking in words! But that is not wrong at all, it is to be expected. One is not to panic or make a judgement about the thought or the fact that the mind thought it... but rather, just gently (and without judgement) bring the mind back to quiet. When the mind "speaks" again...again, you bring it back to the quiet.

I highly recommend a CD intended for physical wellness and healing by doctors Weil and Kabat-Zinn. Truly the best I have encountered in getting a start in meditation. Called Meditation for Optimum Health: How to Use Mindfulness and Breathing to Heal.

http://www.amazon.com/Meditation-Optimum-Health-Mindfulness-Breathing/dp/1564558827/ref=sr_1_5/185-3283310-0454502?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1250645606&sr=8-5

• Satanus
    Satanus

Met

I agree w you on the casting of curses. Dangerous. Perhaps, the 'dark side'.

S

• Satanus
    Satanus

Big tex

Why not google 'kinds of meditations'? Choose one that you think you can do. A simple one is sitting upright, comfortably on a chair. Mark down the time. Now, simply audibly count your outbreaths, maybe from 1 to 5, over and over. That will keep you focussed on your breathing and counting. You might find yourself forgetting time. Aim for 15 minutes of that, although, doing it a lot longer is good, too. It will likely shut off your mind for a while, resulting in you feeling refreshed, afterwards. But, don't go into it expecting anything. Just keep doing the meditation. If you wander off, go back to it. One 15 minute session might be good, for staters.

S

• metatron
    metatron

Exactly, Mary. You do something that appears to be beyond your normal abilities or intelligence and then wonder "Did I do that?" "How did I know?", "Who told me?".

I have observed very small kids display unusual knowledge of things that we would term "instinctive" - which is just another way of saying "I dunno where they got that". Animals, too. I can recall a hummingbird dropped by my (seed) feeder and looked around for a while as if to say, "Hey, you gonna put a feeder out for me, too, dude"? Ok, Ok............I'll get to it.....

metatron

• lurk3r
    lurk3r

Oh, and listen seriously to Wicca and other folks about avoiding trying to "curse" people. It can boomerang in very nasty and oddly synchronistic ways. At least that was my experience and it was so awful I'm unlikely to ever try it again.

Could you elaborate on this Metatron? Perhaps a link to more info? Love to hear your personal perspective though. I am interested and all eyes!

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Lurk3r,

I believe Meta was referring to what Wiccans call the "Threefold Law", which is basically that whatever you put out into the Universe comes back to you, times three... whether it was good or bad.

Best to stick with those intentions which are "pure of heart", shall we say. Even if one does not believe this, it is certainly good practice. It is the pagan "do unto others" but multiply it by three!

• Satanus
    Satanus

I had a couple, that i remember.

S getting back on the subject.

• lurk3r
    lurk3r

I believe Meta was referring to what Wiccans call the "Threefold Law", which is basically that whatever you put out into the Universe comes back to you, times three... whether it was good or bad.

Best to stick with those intentions which are "pure of heart", shall we say. Even if one does not believe this, it is certainly good practice. It is the pagan "do unto others" but multiply it by three!

Thank you Baba.

Indeed what you say does make sense, even on an everyday level. "Do unto others..." It was the "curse" perspective that caught my eye. It kinda changes things up from an overall level of doing goodness to particular starting of an event or something. Perhaps the "Threefold Law" would be brought into effect on a more intense level or something along that line?

• poppers
    poppers

Meditation is a subject close to my heart, having practiced some form of it since 1973. There are many kinds of meditation for accomplishing various things (including awakening kundalini and acquiring special abilities/powers), but in my opinion the most profound thing that meditation can reveal is what "You" are. Some people use a "sacred word"/mantra, others use visualization, some use breath awareness - the variations are many. And then there is a kind of meditation where you simply allow everything to be as it is - this is my favorite because it doesn't force the mind to do anything in particular, and the best part is that this kind of meditation can be done during activity.

A very good start for people who want something simple, easy, and effective is what Satanus suggested. A more formal approach that combines breath awareness with mantra meditation is Herbert Benson's "Relaxation Response". Another mantra style meditation that comes out of a Christian perspective is "Contemplative Prayer" as taught by Thomas Keating. His method is very much like the TM technique except you choose your own mantra (what he calls a "sacred word"). He has an excellent book called "Open Mind Open Heart" which gives you lots of guidance and background information - you can also easily find lots of things on the internet on his teaching as well, inclucing youtube vidoes.

I would caution against learning TM since it is not really upfront about a lot of things, plus it's unbelievably expensive now, somewhere around $1500 (I learned it for $35 in '73). The TM organization will focus on getting as much money out of you as they can. The meditation itself is OK, if you don't mind the Hindu overtones (which they'll deny) but the organization is cult like and has a veneration of its founder, Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, that should set off alarm bells. My advice is to stay away from it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit