I ran into an ex-JW on vacation. We're everywhere.

by MegaDude 42 Replies latest jw friends

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

I took my summer vacation to Grand Cayman this year, a small island south of Cuba. I love the scuba diving there. The island is small. You could drive around the whole thing in probaby a couple of hours.

So my brother and I had finished a dive on the Cayman wall. I was returning my gear to Dive Tech, the dive shop at Lighthouse Point. As I settle up my bill I notice a copy of the "The Celestine Prophecy" sitting face down and open. A British man who was working the cash register, all smiles, asked me how I was enjoying the diving and I said I was. Then I made a comment about that I had read "The Celestine Prophecy" after I had gotten out of the cult I was raised in and found it interesting. He said, "If you don't mind, which cult was that?" "Jehovah's Witnesses," I replied.

He grinned broadly and stuck his hand out across the counter: "Put 'er there, mate. Me too!"

We briefly swapped stories. I had people waiting for me in the car; otherwise I would have chatted longer.

We're everywhere, man.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

What an encouraging experience!

You said: "We're everywhere, man". Sorry, can't figure out the quote feature - anyhow, I, for one, believe it. I think we've already reached the tipping point - there's more of us enlightened x's worldwide than the duped still ins', with exponentially more waking up daily - I'm looking forward to having this experience myself any day now - thanks for sharing.

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

So true!

I knew not one, but two of Mr. B's oldest and dearest buddies for almost 10 years before I found out, both were from JW families. Mr. B hadn't a clue, either.

Abundant ex-JW signals were there... but I was still a believer with a sincere JW blind spot. And they were far too respectful of my blind spot, my "daze."

Ah, the humanity! We can discuss our experiences now without fear or shame. But then we don't exactly sit around crying over it, it's distant past for them, and our lives
    are pretty damn good despite the Watchtower regime's family poisoning program.

~Sue

• White Dove
    White Dove

It's no wonder they can baptize thousands and only get a 1%-2% increase. My gramma noticed this, too, and wondered where and why there was a hemorage of people. She believes it has to do with people not being able to keep their legs crossed and keep it in their pants. My mom believes it is because people aren't humble enough to follow JH. JW's never give anyone credit for actual THINKING ability or figuring out things on their own. The question always is: What have you been reading? Who have you been talking to?

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Oh — My brother, another walk-away believer, met both guys at different times over the years.

He was impressed that one guy's wife refused to have a Christmas tree in the house, and the other one wasn't allowed to play sports growing up.

Ding ding ding!

But I agreed at the time. (Duh.)

~Sue

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

White Dove, you're right: It was thinking ability. But from what I also understand, the total lack of love.

Pretty much the same in my court. We are truly blessed.

~Sue

• rebel8
    rebel8
    What an encouraging experience!

I'm sorry but that made me giggle. It reminds me of something a dub would say after hearing a story of how an angel protected a woman from being stabbed in fs.

Maybe we should have apostate dramas, reinacting our experiences. LOL

Good story though!

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Thanks for sharing this experience. It is encouraging that one is not alone, just as this forum has shown.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

rebel8, I'm with you on that, because I had the same initial reaction.

Yeah for exjws!

• oompa
    oompa

maybe we all need bumper stickers.........oompa.

secret sign?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit