The Faithful Steward and it's Governing Body

by Mickey mouse 51 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

From a neo-apostolic perspective, the link from the NT apostles to the current "apostles" is not one of traceable historical line (as in the classical, Catholic or Eastern versions of "apostolic succession" which confers to the successors apostolic authority but not necessarily the title and status of apostles). The new "apostles" are validated otherwise, usually by cooptation in practice, but theoretically because they fit the qualifications and role within the community. Self-validation for the institution and then validation of individuals by the institution.

The WT "history" as presented to and believed by JWs (starting with Russell restoring "scriptural truth" against Christendom on doctrinal issues like Trinity and hellfire, iow negative doctrine, and 'foretelling 1914') works as a miraculous or providential "sign" which validates the WT globally in the eyes of the adepts.

I think donuthole aptly sums up the current practical although unofficial JW belief: to the average JW, FDS = GB = WT = modern-day apostles. The WT current writing line doesn't make this equation official (and maybe never will) but comforts it in practice.

• besty
    besty

this was a chance to apply the FDS solely to the GB. they didn't take the chance.

in fact the fds is the gb as we all know, just sayin' they didn't nail it up

• heathen
    heathen

Just looks like another of those articles where they want to claim infalibility yet won't come out and say it . Since God apointed them we have to accept their inconsistancy as the perfect will of God . Of course they won't say that all "anointed" are equal since women are yet a sub group of the anointed and not allowed to lead the organization nor preach or hold any authority in the congregation . I don't like the part where they make it sound as if the "anointed" were always good christians , the apostle Paul was clear that they were just as immoral as everybody else prior to their conversion and many did leave to start their own sects . Some returned after commiting gross sinful acts .

• donuthole
    donuthole

This article implies that while as a whole the entire anointed-remnant acts as a Faithful & Discreet Slave providing spiritual food at the proper time, individually this authority/responsibility only falls to a select few, namely the Governing Body, and those directed by them. According to the article, this is keeping in the line with that in the first century there were few apostles, and even fewer Bible writers.

Now within the Organization it is pretty nebulous how one receives the "heavenly calling" to join the "slave class". But even more foggy is how one scripturally receives the calling to one of the select few members of the slave to provide food at the proper time. More precisely how is one chosen to be part of the Governing Body? Now we know in reality, that prospective members are appointed by the current Governing Body so we have a bit of an apostolic succession.

But according to this article Paul was appointed as an apostle by the congregation of Antioch (though Paul himself claimed this calling directly from Jesus), never the less, what would prevent a "Paul" today, some random anointed person in some congregation decided that he was called to serve on the Governing Body? I think perhaps Robert King has found his loophole to get a spot on the GB.

• heathen
    heathen

donuthole- If you read the public version of the WT and awake they recently had an article on how the anointed are chosen by God . When you get baptized at some point after God give you holy spirit which would make it obvious beyond a doubt that you are in the flock but only to you today , back in the first century they had gifts from the spirit such as speaking in toungues , prophesy , healing and such but today they don't claim any such power , even tho the scripture does state ," in the final part of the days men servants would prophesy and have visions and female slaves would prophesy and old men would dream dreams," (I'm guessing it's to do with dream interpretation). Now I do know an "anointed" that claims to experience nothing out of the ordinary .

• caliber
    caliber

Galatians:thenafter three years, I went up to Jerusalem to get acquainted with Peter [b] and stayed with him fifteen days. 19 I saw none of the other apostles—only James, the Lord's brother. 20 I assure you before God that what I am writing you is no lie. 21 Later I went to Syria and Cilicia. 22 I was personally unknown to the churches of Judea that are in Christ. 23 They only heard the report: "The man who formerly persecuted us is now preaching the faith he once tried to destroy." 24 And they praised God because of me.

Paul showing in context that he did not meet with a "governing body"

Galatians 1:16 (New International Version)

16 to reveal his Son in me so that I might preach him among the Gentiles, I did not consult any man,

How about new updated insight we may need today ?

Paul only never went to Jerusalem until a problem arose 14 years later

Galatians 2: 1
    Paul Accepted by the Apostles

fourteen years later I went up again to Jerusalem, this time with Barnabas. I took Titus along also.

Where is this Bible consultation precedent with a governing body INPUT AND CONTROL ?

When Paul did go he was the one giving correction to the Jewish believers ... (such as circumcision)

• caliber
    caliber

WT aug 30

Was this picture ever reality or is it more an "artist conception"...to imprint the desired mental image ?

Were the early Christians more of a loose confederation of believers rather than organized with a centralized body ?

How can a parable become a prophecy ? (A faithful slave ) if they can ...where are Jesus's other parables turned into prophecy ?

• marcopolo
    marcopolo

How can a parable become a prophecy ? (A faithful slave ) if they can ...where are Jesus's other parables turned into prophecy ?

Can samebody do know me about this questions?

is true who Jesus when speak parable not say prophecy? not are also prophecy?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

marcopolo,

I'm not sure I understand your question correctly but I'll give it a try:

The point of the text, as a parable, is to warn Christian leaders/teachers that they can either behave like the "faithful and discreet slave/steward" (who is nobody in particular, not even a "class of good leaders/teachers", but the type or model of what a good leader/teacher is), or like the "evil slave" (who is the symmetrical type of the bad leader/teacher), and be judged accordingly (reward or punishment).

The opposition is basically between attitudes and actions: being busy in "feeding" others vs. feeding oneself, self-indulgence along with "beating" others.

The moral lesson to the target audience (Christian leaders/teachers) is, beware what you do with the responsibility you have been entrusted.

The text only functions this way only if it is understood that the master/Lord has not yet returned: judgement is yet to come, so be careful how you behave.

With their assumption that the master/Lord has already returned and pronounced judgement, the WT doesn't allow the parable to function as it was meant to. What was initially an effective warning to all becomes unconditional validation of a particular "class". What was meant to question the way any authority is exercised becomes a "blank check" to the authority structure of a special group.

Now, to the question (again, if I understood it correctly), 'do they similarly transform other parables into self-validating fulfilled prophecies,' I'm not really sure but I think they do (the parables of talents/mines or virgins come to mind, but I don't remember how they have been treated in WT literature; maybe others will help you with that).

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

This part from para. 13 is interesting:

"This personal invitation is from God. They, in turn, respond at once without question or doubt or fear in accepting this begetting as God's sons."

I had relatives who claimed to be of the 'anointed.' Their respective congos accepted their claims and even had the attitude 'we always suspected as much, what took you so long to come out?' (so they weren't the wacko types where everyone was skeptical). However, according to their stories about 'how they knew,' they said they agonized for ages over their 'calling' or 'experience,' questioning, doubting and feeling apprehensive!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit