Scientist At John Hopkins Say Magic Mushrooms Are Good For You

by frankiespeakin 47 Replies latest jw friends

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

A warning to those who are on Antidepressants including SSRi's, Tricyclics and Maoi's; Please be careful if you decide to use any hallucinogens, as they can have different effects if you are on medications. There is also an increased chance of getting "Serotonin Syndrome" which can be deadly if you mix meds, so please do research before you try it.

I do believe that mushrooms and plants can sometimes help a person if they are healthy and in a good frame of mind, and am not telling anyone not to do them. I am just asking that people use common sense, as they are not right for everyone.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    There is also an increased chance of getting "Serotonin Syndrome" which can be deadly if you mix meds, so please do research before you try it.

It's true, but this won't likely happen with mushrooms, they do not contain an MAOI (monoamine oxidase inhibitor). Neither are they a strong serotonin agonist. However, with other psychoactives such as Ayahuasca (Yage), it can happen, since one of the ingredients is an MAOI (Caapi vine or harmala) in order to potentiate the DMT (psychotria viridis contains Dimethyltryptamine) in the other main ingredient, and also if you eat foods rich in tryptophan you are at risk if you follow up with the MAOI.

Shrooms are very safe. But definitely, do the research. Erowid.org is the best site out there.

Here is a tripping jaguar in the Amazon. Looks like he ate some Caapi vine. Wild animals do this regularly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqGDv0KCJl8

We've been tripping since the stone age. In fact, Timothy Leary's theory was that psychoactives were the trigger that expanded our conciousness and helped us develop society and culture. AKA "stoned ape" hypothesis. I don't know that I buy it, but interesting nonetheless.

BTS

• beksbks
    beksbks

Big Cat Nip

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Rowrrrrpurrrrrr.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Just goes to show - "mystical" feelings are all just chemical processes in the mind.

People having these induced hallucinations are attaching lasting meaning to the images they see. Doesn't that strike you as potentially dangerous to their perception of reality?

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

ML,

People having these induced hallucinations are attaching lasting meaning to the images they see. Doesn't that strike you as potentially dangerous to their perception of reality?

Actually all we have is perceptions of reality be it in altered or normal consciousness. All the colors that we can see are all imaginary or processes of the brain, and that goes for all the senses. By perturbing the brain functions through chemicals, meditation, or trance inducing monotonous drumming.

All indications are that our diet as hunter gatherers included these mind altering substances for many thousands of years and may be responsible for our brain evolution and creativity, as it is well know that entheogens use often spawn creativity as it cause one to break out of routine thoughts, and perceptions of the world. The Internet, the double helix of DNA were all thought of and product of hallucinogenic use. Some people have great breakthroughs in insights while under these substances.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

As long the experiences are unique to yourself and are not manipulated by some nutjob with a dangerous agenda, I don't see any danger.

It is certainly less dangerous than having a religious crank altering your perception of reality with a Holy Book.

Cheers

Chris

• Mary
    Mary

I've always wondered if magic mushrooms were the catalist for John's visions that became the Book of Revelation. Think about it: John was banished to the Isle of Patmos under Roman persecution. He had probably been beaten and starved beforehand. The Isle of Patmos was supposedly one that grew lots of these mushrooms and, after walking around this island, eating these mushrooms he happened upon, John had the most "religious" experience of his entire life and interpreted it as a message from God about the actual "end of the world."

The part in chapter 10:9-10 about John eating the "little scroll" the "angel" gave him and how it made his belly "bitter" sounds like he ate mushrooms. Then the visions that ensued seems to be reminiscent of a very heavy trip on psychedelics.

• brinjen
    brinjen

Never tried magic mushrooms but have smoked a bit of the ole weed in my time. Like Burns with mm's, marijuana helped get me through some tough times. To just be able to deal with what was going on at the time, my past and not want to block it out of mind but rather go with it... without wanting to bawl my eyes out. It was a huge relief for me and helped me put a lot into perspective.

I haven't smoked in at least a year now... haven't felt the inclination. I never became 'hooked', I never experienced any unwanted side effects. Everything in moderation I say.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I've always wondered if magic mushrooms were the catalist for John's visions that became the Book of Revelation.

My neighbor has tried the mushies from Kos and says they are very good, so you can't discount it on the basis of unavailablity.

I can still visualise scenes from my first MM experience that are relevant.

In the absence of external distractions your trips are influenced by your background, so if you are a very religious type you will probably have a spiritual experience.

Cheers

Chris

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit