Joshua and my father

by mrsjones5 21 Replies latest jw friends

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I wonder how your father will feel about excluding family members who need care when HE ages enough to where he needs to rely on his kids and grandkids.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Is there some education or something similar your father can take or read to become more informed about autism and how to handle an autistic child? Maybe a help group? Perhaps he is uncomfortable or just at a loss as to how to handle things. Then again, maybe he's just bein' lazy.

I agree that he shouldn't be allowed to exclude Joshua. I don't agree with your father about the kids not looking after him either. You're a family... that's what family does.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

GrandDad can`t be bothered to take Joshua to the movies,with the rest of the Kid`s??!!

That does`nt work for me..Kinda piss`s me off..

GrandDad needs to find out your shoe size..

He should be able to get it off the boot mark on his ass!!

..........................LOL!!...OUTLAW

• carla
    carla

Did you ever mention to the folks that your kids watching out for little brother was much the same as when you had to look after your brother?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

"Did you ever mention to the folks that your kids watching out for little brother was much the same as when you had to look after your brother?"

No, I haven't yet. I think I give my parents too much credit thinking that they can see how both situations relate. I should know better myself. But I will point out the obvious the next time it's brought up.

• carla
    carla

Yep, with some people you must become Mr. Obvious, but nevermind, you can say all sorts of things to them and they never really get it anyway! as frustrating as that can be you can also let a few really smart ass comments fly that they never catch therefore relieving some stress of being around the dimmer bulbs in the package. ohh, that's mean isn't it? Not that your parents are dim must be my projecting my own circumstance again.

As a side note, I would think exposing an autistic child to as many different things as possible would be beneficial, you would never know what might catch their fancy and they could get really excited about something and you & teachers could use it for learning experiences in some way, yes? You must need a terrific imagination to help an autistic or learning challenged child, if one way doesn't work then you must find another. Of course that is true for the rest of the population but am hoping those dealing with challenged children would find optimum learning experiences even if they may be less than mainstream or as accepted by academia. Good luck with your folks, I know you have had your difficulties with them in the past.

• White Dove
    White Dove

If your dad is old school, he may not have a very high regard for "defective" kids. My grandparents and dad are very closed minded when it comes to special needs kids. They are so rude and see no use in even educating them. It really burns me up to hear crap like that. I'd say that if they want to take any kids, they will have to take them all.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I am "very" Old School..

Dis`n your GrandChildren is not cool..

I wonder how the Grandparents would like a Talk`n-to..

By Whitey..

..................LOL!!...OUTLAW

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Thank guys. Good advice and hugs.

Even though our circumstances are difficult I'm blessed with a wonderful hubby and good kids. My mother keeps telling me it must be hard handling Joshua but ya know what it's hard just having four kids and Joshua doesn't really add anything to it. He's a sweet smart boy who brings joy to my life/our lives every day. It's a shame my parents can't see that.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Josie..

Your a good mom..

Your just going to have to be firm with them..

....................OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit