For Oompa

by sd-7 18 Replies latest jw friends

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    But what if I am a monster?
    But I'm nobody. Why do you even care?
    You don't even know me. Why bother?
    Listen, I'm sorry for this entry. Okay? It wasn't anyone else's concern. I don't wish to upset anyone. I'll be fine.

Ok, so what if you are a monster? Child molester, rapist, serial killer...what kind of monster are we talking about here? As repugnant as those types of people are, there is help out there for them. So, it's safe to assume there's help for you too.

Look, at some point most of us have stood where you're standing now. And although our circumstances may be wildly different, we are all still the same in many respects. You aren't "nobody" and are no stranger to us. By virtue of you learning the truth about the "truth", you are one of us. Like it or not, you are part of our motley crew. Resistance is futile, LOL!

There is no need to be sorry. And the only real upset a veteran exjw could have from being on this board is to know that one of us ended our lives for nothing. The longer you are out and the older you become, you will realize that the Watchtower is nothing. It is a liar. It is a deciever. It is a cult. But in the grand scheme of things, its hold can be broken. It's already happening to you.

Please check your pm's.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Come on guys..shake hands...

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga
    But what if I am a monster?

In my life, I have come to the very firm conclusion that there is no evil or good... only hurt and heal. Hurt comes from others who are hurt, healing perpetuates from the healed or healing.

A monster, aye? Well, even as recently as the 1800's, the medical community used to call children born with birth defects "monsters". We all have defects of one sort or another (whether others can see them or not), we all hurt, we all do the best we can. Hopefully it is good enough and we are able to help others heal instead of hurt. But in that effect we are all monsters.

I'm glad you're here.

Love,
    Baba.

Oh! And P.S., on the subject of 1984, here is the thread I mentioned. What do you think?

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/social/entertainment/179818/1/Was-There-a-Fictional-Work-Helped-You-Realize-the-Truth-About-the-T-ruth

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

sd-7:

I'm glad you are here. Please keep posting. I want to read your thoughts on 1984. I read Animal Farm back in the 9th grade. It started to open my eyes.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

sd-7

If you are nobody, and nobody is perfect, then you must be perfect. Just the way you are.

• sd-7
    sd-7

Every so often, I look back on old threads, and this one definitely stood out in my mind after Oompa's untimely death. I had made a long-winded thread (most of mine still are) and he made a snide remark and I took offense at the time, but I got over it. I guess...in hindsight I realize just how pathetic I sounded back then, especially compared to him, and the bigger problems he had, and how it sadly brought him down to the point where he gave up altogether.

I guess...it's particularly poignant since my thread here clearly had some thoughts of suicide. Thankfully, I managed to beat them, with inner strength and the support of some great people on this site, especially Jamiebowers, who became like my lifeline through some of the toughest stuff that happened over the course of my marriage and struggling to get past the indoctrination and emotional abuse.

I don't know if I was lucky, but I do know that I don't find myself pondering suicide anymore, I've got so much to live for and to explore and to be, really. Even with everything that happened, even with a sub-par marriage and the specter of JWs hanging over my life probably forever, I'm closer than I have ever been since childhood to actual, real happiness.

I have experienced to an incredible degree in the past few years the meaning of the statement "knowledge is power". I've been able to grow so much through understanding what was done to me. Now I feel like I can do anything, if I really want to.

It's still tough. I occasionally talk about the marriage problems I've had, and there are moments when the feeling of depression or helplessness takes hold again, for awhile. Money's tight, I'm sole breadwinner, there are lots of late nights, there's still the JWs and sometimes elders giving me trouble, etc., etc. Sometimes it does seem like there's no way out. There was one night I was just heading out to the grocery store and I felt so sad that I literally could not get out of the car for an entire hour. I had this overwhelming sadness come over me, and I thought about just driving away and leaving everything and everyone behind. Just go as far as I could before I ran out of gas and money. But that's just not me.

There's still work to do, things to learn, a journey to undertake and see to its end. A child of my own to raise, and a child not of my own who I have taken in and watched grow in leaps and bounds. And a wife to cherish and try to forgive and understand and take care of. Maybe there will come a time when Atlas will shrug, if you will, but today, I'm still holding 'em on my shoulders as steadily as I can. They're all I have left now, apart from you guys, most of whom I've never met and will probably never meet.

I don't know why I'm writing this. I just wish I'd had the clarity of perspective back then that I have now. Maybe I wouldn't have gotten so worked up back then and started this thread. I was so close to freedom then, and so far away. That said, I'm glad I didn't hold dear Oompa's remarks against him back then, and I kinda wish I'd gotten to know him a bit better...he seems like he was a great guy, with so much on his shoulders.

Sorry if this one makes anyone sad all over again. I do think of him from time to time, though and this thread has often been on my mind since his passing.

--sd-7

• cantleave
    cantleave

This has just made me well up a little. I remember this well.

• dinah
    dinah

I miss Oompa.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I was going to visit a friend a few days ago. The last time I was there, so was Eric.

I guess we're at that age we're friends and family leave us

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit