An Open Letter From Jeff

by AllTimeJeff 58 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Jeff, I read your first comment. Are you seeing a therapist? I hope so.

• donny
    donny

Hey Jeff,

Count me in as one of the many on here who look forward to your posts and replies. They are always well written and easy to understand. While I was not a born-in, I too feel extremely cheated that I threw most of my 20's and early 30's in this cult. Like David Reed once stated, "I get up every morning and examine the hole in my head where my brains leaked out."

It's been 17 years since my departure and I sometimes get frustrated when I think about the wasted time, but overall I am so glad that I have broken those chains and I enjoy life so much more. It's better to live in the now instead of waiting for some future non-existent paradise.

Donny

• parakeet
    parakeet

Did you know I have an unusual fear that I will end up homeless? It isn't logical, but it fuels my anxiety.

That's not an unusual fear, given the economic turndown. Many of us worry about that. But, as long as you can drag yourself to a computer and log onto this site, you will have many friends, including me, who will help you out. No cardboard box house for you, my friend.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Hey Minimus. Yes, I have seen a therapist in the past, and it has helped immensley. I just wanted to share some emotions instead of just deep thoughts all the time...

That is a great point though, mental health being so LOW on the borgs priority meter. Many of us could probably use some professional help. I certainly am in that boat....

• Robdar
    Robdar

Jeff, you're a better man than you give yourself credit for.

I promise you it does get better.

• minimus
    minimus

I know some JWs that went to the therapist and miraculously got out of their fears and depression. Everyone that started going gave up their depression meds because they didn't need it.

Good luck, my friend.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Minimus, whether you ditch the meds or not, to get help is something everyone should at least consider and give some thought to. Thanks for caring enough to mention and suggest it!

• minimus
    minimus

You are a good guy. Very reasonable and likable. I hope you get thru it.

• VIII
    VIII

Hi Jeff--I enjoy your posts. You left a very abusive, manipulative cult. That is very impressive. (As everyone here understands and should be patted on the back for).

It is hard, as we all know, to leave, stay out, and not reflect on all that. As noted, depression seems common. I won't give any advice. I will just ask you to keep posting as long as you feel up to it. I don't post on your threads enough, but, I do appreciate them.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Jeff, another fan here, that just adores you and your posts. My husband did the rapid fade thing with me a 16 months ago, he doesn't post here but reads and always asks me to point him to your most recent. We totally understand the roller coaster of emotions you are experiencing , just when you think you have a measure of clarity and peace you run into someone from the hall or there is family drama like an illness or a funeral. Then there is a whole other set of guilt and issues when you raised kids in this mess. I keep Steve Haasan's books and CoC on my nightstand because it is an ongoing process and have come to the conclusion I may always be a little messed up. What took 40 some years to do may take a while to undo. I look at my poor elderly relatives and parents now and feel sorry for them, but we got some life left in us, so it's worth the struggle. Hang in there, we love ya. NMKA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit