Typically How Much $$$ Do You Spend Going Out To Eat Each Week?

by minimus 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    And am I the only one who noticed restaurant food is becoming really crappy? I'm not just talking portions, but quality.

I've noticed, and that's the biggest reason I have for cutting out the restauranteering. If I go to a restaurant I get the runs every time, no matter where I go or what I order. That never happens when I cook for myself.

W

• undercover
    undercover
    And am I the only one who noticed restaurant food is becoming really crappy? I'm not just talking portions, but quality.

I don't eat at fast food joints like McDonalds or Burger King or most of the other fast food giants. If I eat junk food (rarely since I'm trying to eat better), I'll get local BBQ or burger/dogs from a locally run joint. Food there tastes much better (though the places are more run down and dirty looking, but it's been my experience that the best tasting food comes from the greasiest, nastiest places).

When dining at full service restaurants I tend to avoid the big chains as well. I'd rather stay at home and eat a PB&J than go to Applebee's, Olive Garden or Texas LoneStar Longhorne Roadhouse Land & Cattle... I go to quality, locally owned restaurants, or a smaller chain that is well respected in dining circles.

If I'm going to eat out, I go where I can expect quality food and quality service. Since I spend so much, it better be damn good.

Or maybe my palate is changing after abstaining from fried/processed/salty/overly sweet stuff.

We've changed from fried, high fat foods to grilled seafood, salads and vegetables. At first it was tough but you're right, your palate does change. The foods I used to order are now most unappetizing to me when I see them on someone else's plate.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

I always pack a lunch for work, hate the idea of being out to earn money and spend money while I'm there. My kids always take lunch to school. We can usually have great meals at home like steak, potato and salad way cheaper than going out. Do love a little diner about a mile away for a weekend morning treat breakfast or the mom and pop Italian restaurant that you eat left overs for days. I agree with an above poster that the chains are kind of a rip off. We try to do cocktails at home, cheaper and less DUIs.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Good deals....Little Ceaser's cheese or pepperoni large pizze to go for $5.

Also, Perkins has a "kids eat free" each weekday all day.

Sweet Tomatoes has a great website that sends terrific coupons for lunch time specials.

As for me and the family, I'd say between $20-$50, depending on the week and my schedule. We eat out about once a week, usually grabbing fast food for the rug rats and Taco Bell (my favorite) for me.

Skeeter

• oompa
    oompa

i only spend about 10-15 bucks on lunch a week, and when my wife works the day of a meeting night, i like to get some great Chinese takeout or a pizza from a great place nearby as well so we neither have to cook, so that would up it another 10-12 dollars..........

for the most part....i HATE to eat out!!!!.........almost ALWAYS disappointed!!!......plus i LOVE to cook....this is not bragging but will sure as hell sound like it, but it is just a fact.......there are several here who i have cooked for and i have ALWAYS got an OMG!!!! this is the best steak/salmon/chicken/shrimp/potato/grilled veggies/boston butt/pork tenderloin/lambchops i have ever tasted!!!! (i also do a mean stir fry of all types and have guacamole sauce to die for, as well as freschetta (there is not such thing as too much garlic) on perfect crusty french bread in real just filed parmesan

i like my food served HOT....really hot and on a hot plate!.....and i want at least warm bread (and it better not be soft and mushy...give me a crust) and SOFT REAL BUTTER!!!

however...i eat out lunch a lot on the road and am a cheap bastard....i like the half pound beef and potato burrito from taco for $1.79 with free ice water...........that hits the spot for less than two bucks

and sometimes maybe one or two micky dees double cheese burgers with water..........also about 2 bucks.........

i splurge with the hardees or carl juniors angus burgers!.........almost like homemade for about three bucks.....mickys and others suck by comparison......

my worst example of awful night out was at Ruth Chris steakhouse........first time eating there and was really lookin forward to it......and my bad night had to be a fluke!!.....it was a treat from another couple so i did not complain, but DAMMM...........my rib-eye was $36.00 and TOTALLY sucked!!!......this cow was NOT PRIME!!!......(this does happen sometimes).....i could not frikkin believe it.........gristle, fat galore, and tough as a bad SELECT grade!!!....everybody else had great food so i will go back for their new special meal deal.......it was a great deal for this place.......

lol.........sorry for the length but i take good food VERY SERIOUS!!!....oompa

i may share my original 8 minute potato creation if you pm me....or i may not!

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

OOMPA,

Like you, my husband is a great chef. He can prepare the BEST food ever. It's usually a disappointment if we eat out at a nice restaurant. Even our guests want to eat here, if he cooks. LOL.

Skeeter

• restrangled
    restrangled

Oompa I too have been disgusted with the High end places. We ate out at Kobe's Steak house for my Son's bday.....lots of flair, entertainment from the cooks wielding knives, over a hot grill. A few pieces of meat, lots of noodles, many veggies.....I was not impressed with the food. Everyone else seemed to be enamoured.

It was OK....just that. For Two hundred dollars for 5....we will never go back....I have made better dinners with my eyes closed, and no one had to wait 2 hours to eat.
    What a rip off.

r.

• ferret
    ferret

Lunch 6 times a week @ $20 Dinner one or two times a week @ $40 so about $150 to $200 per week

• chickpea
    chickpea

not really a weekly breakdown

but maybe pizza 2X/ mo and a specialty coffee
    about the same...... so about $40/mo?

• Blithe Freshman
    Blithe Freshman

30-50 dollars, depends how many I'm feeding, 2-4 times a month.

We have started going to or getting takeout from the local church & firehall dinners.

Better food, meet new & old friends, supports charity and I get a break from the kitchen on a busy weekend.

BF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit