Do/did you like to read Daily Text?

by Albert Einstein 37 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

It was really just a review of the WT dogma. I did look up the scripture, read it in context, and cross reference it, then think about what was meant without WT interference.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

was never a fan, waste of time, my first wife loved it though, the problem with starting the day with the day's text was that it could lead onto other shite , like " lets do the watchtower prep" or even worse "lets go out into F/S!" I always kept as far away as possible from the stupid little brown book.

• undercover
    undercover

I hated it...never did it. I kept it my bookbag in case I had lead the group in service.

oompa said (as only oompa can):

at some conventions......when they do the text.......they try to make you feel like cornshitted if you are not reading it every day.....some even want you to pull out the old frikkin mag and review it!!!!!!!!!

I remember those daily text demos at the conventions. I hated those things. The family in the demo spent as much time going over the daily text as I spent going over the book study material. Did they really expect everyone to cover the daily text as these demos did? But as oompa pointed out...that was the point. It was a guilt trip for not doing it.

• BirdFood
    BirdFood

My mother LOVES the daily text! She always wanted to do it, but about 50% of the time we were too busy. I hated doing it though because it was never enough to just read it, we always had to TALK about it. And then she and my father would find some way to apply it to me so that I could see how I didn't measure up in some way... it just sucked!

Conventions were always like that too, on the way home my parents would point out how a particular talk applied to me and my rebelliousness. /sigh

• reniaa
    reniaa

I enjoyed and liked the daily text it ususally spot on with the scriptures thought and usually led me to reading a chapter of the bible.

Reniaa

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

Similar to Undercover, I tried to keep a copy in my bookbag so that I wouldn't look like a slacker at the meeting for service.

I estimate that less than half of U.S. Witnesses (can't speak for the rest of the world) read the text on a regular basis. Among those in their 20s and 30s, I would say that the number is more like 25% or less. These young JWs are too busy working overtime to pay the mortgage on their new houses, buy the latest gadgets, and take vacations.

They feel like they're doing fine if they make most of the meetings and get out in service 2 or 3 Saturdays per month. Personal study, daily text, "improving their minstry," "reaching out" are not priorities for these gen-X Witnesses. At least that's my first-hand observation.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

Ren, did it also inspire you to swim across crocodile infested water's, a mine field, drive across war torn Chechnya, to do a bit of street work, right after reading that small biblical text and the stupid,corny comment that accompanied it?

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

So this time I prepared a Bible at breakfast (NOT NWT!!!!!) and when my friend was about to pick up DT, I said "Well, lets read some Bible..." and I started reading Matthew.... To prevent him from reading DT I read two chapters slowly while we were eating.... until the breakfast was over.... I just dont like Daily texts

Sorry AE, I almost fell asleep just reading your post!

nj

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I refused to read it. I felt that it was an unacceptable intrusion on my mind at a time when grogginess makes me vunerable. I don't want anyone or anything bothering me before I'm fully awake and alert. That means I shower, eat breakfast, and have my coffee and smoke before I acknowledge the existance of anyone or anything else on earth. It's my personal time which I'll defend to the bitter end.

My ex thought me a "poor head" and assumed it was ok for her to read it aloud at the breakfast table. It wasn't. I made it clear she could read it silently to herself or aloud in any other room as long as I wasn't in it.

W

• bibledike
    bibledike

I forgot all about the d.t

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit