WHY ALL THE QUESTIONS ?

by iknowall558 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• iknowall558
    iknowall558

"AND NOW WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? GET UP, BE BAPTISED AND WASH YOUR SINS AWAY, CALLING ON HIS NAME." Acts 22 : 16

What are you waiting for.........?

The Ethiopian Eunuch had this attitude when Peter preached Jesus to him. He IMMEDIATELY requested and RECEIVED baptism. (Acts 27 - 38)

Does this not show that you dont need to know everything to get baptised. The Eunuch was religious but was lost, but his conversion, as with many others in the new testament, occurred after ONE sermon. Jesus stated that much teaching would FOLLOW, not PRECEED baptism. (Matt 28 : 19,20 ) So, what qualifies a person for baptism is - BELIEF IN CHRIST, REPENTANCE AND WILLINGNESS TO FOLLOW HIM. With these things, you are ready for baptism.

I have been thinking about this in light of how the Org. conducts itself regarding those wishing to be baptised.

In the 'Organized to do Jehovah's will' book, there are 104 QUESTIONS split over 3 SECTIONS. Their criteria for qualifying for baptism is explained this way : -

" By having each candidate comment on EVERY question, the ELDERS get a clear picture of his depth of understanding, leaving no doubt as to whether he is READY for baptism or not." (page 217)

"Additionally, THEY will want to ascertain whether the prospective minister deeply appreciates the truth and demonstrates proper respect for...(Jesus?)....JEHOVAH'S ORGANIZATION." (PAGE 218 )

According to the NT every person who BELIEVES IN JESUS CHRIST should be baptized and should be baptized as soon as they have believed. Why does the org. not follow this ? Instead, according to their rules, a person needs to be studying and coming along to meetings, and going out in field service and handing in a report and commenting at meetings, all of which can take up to a year, before they can even approach the elders to ask about being baptized. They presume they need to know everything the Bible teaches (everything the org. teaches) and accept it fully before they can be baptized. This is in the instructions given to elders, to make sure this is the case..:_

" If the person does not understand primary Bible teachings (JW teachings), the Elders will arrange for him to receive NECESSARY personal assistance so as to QUALIFY for baptism at a LATER TIME." (PAGE 218)

" Others may need to be given TIME to demonstrate more appreciation for field service or SUBMISSIVENESS TO ORGANIZATIONAL arrangements."

" ALL QUESTIONS SHOULD BE REVIEWED" (all 104 of them)

"Elders assigned to help a baptism candidate will meet after the THIRD session and decide whether the person SHOULD be accepted for baptism or not. .......Thereafter, one or two of the assigned elders should meet with the person and inform him whether he QUALIFIES for baptism or not"

(All quotes from page 218)

BELIEF IN CHRIST, REPENTANCE OF SINS, AND WILLINGNESS TO FOLLOW CHRIST. This is what qualifies one for Baptism.

"And now WHY ARE YOU WAITING? Arise and be baptized and wash away your sins calling on the name of the Lord". (Acts 22 : 16)

"As they travelled along the road, they came to some water and the eunuch said, 'Look, here is water. What can stand in they way of me being baptised? And he gave orders to stop the chariot, Then both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water and Philip baptised him" (Acts 8 : 36,37)

Was even ONE question asked of the eunuch that made Peter decide if he was ready for baptism.

As a JW, who really does make the decision to be baptised ? Is it truly a personal decision ?

If they truly followed the examples of baptism recorded in the Bible, then a person could request to be baptised on a first call at the door, or even at the return visit, or whilst studying, and certainly before engaging in field service.

Even when a person expressses their beliefs within the org. they can still be made to WAIT at the elders discretion if they think they are not 'spiritual' enough, or not 'progressing' enough.

All in all, Jesus is barely in the picture. Yet, HE IS CENTRAL TO BAPTISM AND DEDICATION ! The org. yet again have got it all wrong. The decision is most definitely not yours, but is theirs. They decide, and do it on their terms. ! Jesus only gets to poke his nose in at a Jw baptism in the first question asked of the candidates, with the most important question, about DEDICATION being for the support of the organization, following a close second.

I have therefore decided after a lot of thinking on the matter to renounce my JW baptism, by being baptised again, THE PROPER WAY - IN CHRIST !

Sorry about the long post but it's been eating away at me. Thanks for reading.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

They forgot to include the most important. It should be the first question on the list:

• Are you aware that once you get baptised as one of Jehovah's Witnesses you will be forever expected to remain one?
    • Did you know that if you succumb to typical teenage sexual drive and 'experiment' with sex as your body insists, that you will be interogated by three men who will ask deeply embarrassing questions and then will announce to all the world that you are evil and removed from God's favor until you grovel and beg to be reinstated?
    • Did you know that if you find out the deep things we are hiding from you and elect to leave the organization for any reason officially, you will be shunned and hated and lied about and gossipped about for the rest of your life and perhaps labelled with our most infamous term, 'apostate'?

Sorry, that is three.

Jeff

• hotspur
    hotspur

I remember my 6 year old nephew who after watching the proceedings at an assembly, wanted to be baptised.

His father said "What about all the questions you have to answer?"

His reply has stuck with me for years.....

..... "There's only two and the answer to both of them is yes"

PRICELESS

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Yep, it's a good point. Once again they show how far removed from the 1st C Christians they really are and how much they add to God' word. The sole purpose? To elevate their organisation.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

They probably learned way back that the less a person deeply understood the doctrines, the sooner they would walk away. This way, they have no doubt that the anxious candidate for baptism is being properly "conditioned" for faithful blind following.

Imagine studying a couple of times and getting baptized. As soon as an adult convert realized that WTS wasn't for them because of the field service expectations, they would bolt out the door. And if they didn't require field service back in the day, the empire would not have expanded.

• blondie
    blondie

They only started doing questions in 1967 and then it was in a large group with one brother from the "Your Word is a Lamp to my Foot" book released in 1967. There were only 80 questions then. The congregation servant handled it and we did not have to answer every question individually.

Before this people just showed up at the baptism with towel and suit in hand. No screening through the congregation.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

They only started doing questions in 1967 and then it was in a large group with one brother from the "Your Word is a Lamp to my Foot" book released in 1967. There were only 80 questions then. The congregation servant handled it and we did not have to answer every question individually.

Before this people just showed up at the baptism with towel and suit in hand. No screening through the congregation.

Now it's infinitely more cultish.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

My questions came from the 'lamp' book, but by the early 70's it was individual elders one on one with the 'candidate'. Who the hell calls someone who wants to get baptised a 'candidate' anyway - geez.

Jeff

• boyzone
    boyzone

What still rankles with me is the 2 biggie questions your supposed to stand and answer yes to.

On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

Ok, haven't really got a problem with that one.

Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovahs Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization?

Got BIG problems with this one. For a start it reads like a contract from some dodgy insurance deal. Then the clincher, Holy Spirit being totally replaced by "God's spirit-directed organization".

Do you remember saying yes to those 2? Yeah, me too. Did you have any idea what you were really saying yes to? No, me neither.

• iknowall558
    iknowall558

Boyzone -- I remember saying yes to both these questions and only since I've left have I realised what I was saying yes to. The second question isn't identifying you as a follower of Christ, but as a follower of an organization run by men.

Blondie -- They obviously realised in 1967 that questions would chart how much their indoctrination was taking hold of people in their org. There were only 80 questions back then...? Its still 80 questions too many. I was born in 1967 , so for 42 years they have shoved Jesus mostly out of the way of any personal dedications and baptisms and put themselves in his place.........again! Thanks for the info.

Onthewayout -- They probably learned way back that the less a person deeply understood the doctrines, the sooner they would walk away. This way, they have no doubt that the anxious candidate for baptism is being properly "conditioned" for faithful blind following.

-- I agree completely with what you say. They are being brought to blindly follow an organisation. Their sole aim is the conditioning of the minds of people.....not their hearts, and yet the Bible says that .."with the HEART one exercises faith.." They steal people away from having a proper view and a proper relationship with Jesus. They are sucking the life from these people.

Hotspur -- Did his father sit him down and explain how he has to be indoctrinated first ? Is your nephew a baptised JW now ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit