Hello id like to intruduce myself

by Belly 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Anne
    Anne

Is there any Profession, Occupation or Trade that interests you? If so, do an online search and find out what the qualifications are.

Junior or Community colleges are usually easy to get into and reasonably priced.

I took correspondece high school (stupid!!, stupid!!, never let anyone do it). I started out at Tech/ Community College. I was scared at first, but it was the first step.

Yknot is right, there are loans and grants available . I remember sitting at my kitchen table paying bills one evening when a few friends stopped by (back when I was still trying to be a Witness). One of them spotted my payment book for my student loan and his eyes bugged out. I then showed him my last paystub. At the time I was making 2-2 and half times more than him, so my investment made sense. I'm not sure how true this is, but the rule I've been told is don't borrow more for your education than you will make in your first year on the job.

• villabolo
    villabolo

Welcome belly.

villabolo

• LockedChaos
    LockedChaos

Belly

Welcome.................

Advice

GET

AN

EDUCATION

• bibledike
    bibledike

Hey I was in the same circumstance except I'm 22 was bap. at 10. You should diffently leave under bad terms. If you can't move out right now maybe you should fake it while still holding your own as far as mindset goes. There are different aveunes you can take school, military, or job corp ( they gave you a place to school and provide training.) Right now you live with your parents but you can take the steps to make life there less stressful by not feeding into arguments or just obeying their rules like curfew while savin up to move out remember your not stuck and you do have a future.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Welcome! Most colleges have work study. That means you would work and earn money through the school and attend classes in your off hours. It can be a real blessing for those who are strapped for cash and need to go to college, too. It's funded by the federal government, I think. Faking it with your parents might be the only way to make this work without getting kicked out. They will also need to co-sign your student loans because you are under the age of 24. Staying in their good graces for now may pay off big in the long run. Follow the money, in other words.

• AuntBee
    AuntBee

Comment on FAFSA: WE've gone through the FAFSA process recently with several kids. One thing that did surprise me is that it is only for VERY rare circumstances that they will process your application without the parental information. I believe it's until you are age 23, or around there. For example, they are in jail, you have no contact whatsoever, etc. -- This can be very detrimental to some of the college-age students who need it the most! One gal i knew - her parents just refused to give the info. She had no idea why, and they would not help her financially with college either! (i wondered if they were into conspiracy theories, and didn't want the gov to have their info? Or involved in something shady?)

I wonder if it would be worth researching more in depth, and producing some kind of paper or article, explaining why students leaving Jehovahs Witnesses NEED and DESERVE Fafsa help, without their parents' info.

• darkl1ght3r
    darkl1ght3r

It's going to be rough getting up on your own two feet, but if you keep your head on straight and stay determined, you'll start to discover just how great life can be. Hang in there... and welcome!

• White Dove
    White Dove

How to get connected with a college: Ask a guidence counselor at your old school, look online, make sure it's accredited, visit a university or community college in your area, go to the registration desk at a college and ask how to become a student. Ask lots of questions. Go to financial aid office and ask what you qualify for in terms of loans, grants, and work study. I remember not knowing what to ask for or who to ask. And finally, decide to be a good student and succeed.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Welcome to JWN! Google AmeriCorps. It's a program that provides work with a stipend and credits to pay college tuition. I know you feel scared and helpless right now, but you're not. You're young and have your whole life ahead of you.

• oompa
    oompa

welcome belly.....i bet you want to just scream out sometimes.....try and wait a bit and try to be real patient with your folks and friends....they are duped just like you may have been once......but it is very real to them and they do have a right to their own faith

and ya.......you are lucky to be so young, but that can also be a tough time......esp for knowing what you want out of life and usually not having the money to live on your own and move ahead....esp in this economy.....

so start making friends fast.....esp of the opposite sex!!!....get those priorities in order..........oompa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit