"Happy day" as a Christmass substitute???

by Albert Einstein 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

Some years ago me and my wife we were visited by a relative and his wife (all JWs...) ... it was few days after Christmass.....

Upon arival they gave us nicely wraped gifts ....

We joked "Wow how nice of you to get us Christmass gifts...!"

They replied: Well it is not for Christmass, but we were with our inlaws recently, and they have this nice tradition of celebrating "Happy Day". They held between Christmass and New years eve ... You know, its good for kids, so when kids get back to school, they are not embarassed by not having any new presents... So we thought, its neat and decided to celebrate it as well ... How do you like the idea, it is not Christmass, its just a substitute...????"

We were really surprised (and probablky looked so...) so they never came back to us with Happy Day gifts...

Did you have any similar experience?

BTW - It made me to want to go a brothel, of course not to have sex, just to pretend I have some...

Or to walk in a Kingdom hall with a lighted cigarette, but not inhalling the smoke...

Albert

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Not with Christmas. Always thought it was funny eating the turkey the day after Thanksgiving.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I'm the kind of person who likes to get at the root of things. I would preferr happy saturn day, or happy santa clause day. Or, better yet HAPPY SUN WORSHIP DAY, in recognistion of the days getting longer, and the sun surviving to shine for another yr;) Hehe. Maybe, jws could have happy tower day, or happy governating body day, a day to exchange gifts and worship the gb and extoll their virtues.

S

• sir82
    sir82

My parents did this for me. Didn't give it an official name, but....

My mom always felt guilty about me not having a Christmas, so a few days after Christmas, when toys went on sale, I could go with my parents to the store and pick out what I wanted. That way "...when the kids at school are talking about their new toys you'll have something to talk about too."

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

We had 'family day' or 'kids day'. It was fun and our kids really looked forward to it.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

How many heard the line: "We give our kids presents all year round. We don't wait for a holiday or birthday to do so"?

Somehow, I think most JW kids never got an equivalent amount of gifts as "wordly" kids got.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I got birthday cards from my JW aunt on my birthday and she crossed out the word "birth" so that it would read "Happy Day".

• VIII
    VIII

*WE*, meaning my direct sibling and I, got the "You get food, clothing and shelter from your father and I. You don't need presents. It will make you greedy and materialistic. We buy you presents everyday just by those items."

Uh, yeah, riiight.

My cousins, my Moms sister, had XYZ Day. They put up a big banner in their home, in a back bedroom, and everyone gave each other gifts. They also did this to my other aunts and cousins. We apparantly were the only ones left out. I found out by accident when I had to use the bathroom. My aunt told me to go use the one upstairs and when I got there she screamed for me to not and it was too late. I cut through my cousins room and discovered the banner and all the presents.

It actually caused a rift in the family. It was between Xmas and New Years.

My mom tried to explain that they were weak in the truth (Uncle was an Elder) and we were better for not being *Materialistic* like them.

Uh, yeah, riiight.

She is and was a cheap person.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Reminds me of "Turkey Day"... this day just happens to fall on or about Thanksgiving Day.

• villabolo
    villabolo

How about Fireworks Day on the fifth of July?

villabolo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit