Off to a JW "Gathering"

by treadnh2o 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

I have not been to a meeting this year. Yet I was invited to a witness "gathering" through my wife and kids.

I really don't want to go.

However, if my reason for not going is because of someones religion, I am really no different than they are.

Guess I need to go based on principal.

I won't change my mind, but am interested in your take on this situation.

• Gregor
    Gregor

How do you imagine the gathering to be? Do you see yourself=

- possibly having a good time?

- feeling stiff and out of place?

- going for the sake of family thus avoiding guilty feelings?

- boning up on some apostate zingers, then go in, kick ass and take names?

• Gayle
    Gayle

It seems it may be a neutral ground. They may have a way of "love-bombing" you. I went to a nephew's graduation and after dinner in May. My nephew has never been a JW, but his parents had been before (raised in it). But his aunt (a JW) and her husband (elder) came. All was pleasant, no religion discussed. I think a respectful diplomacy by you confuses them (JWs) but it does set a good example to your children and keeps open what a wonderful dad they have. They will see how a non-JW can still be a wonderful, respectful person (and not the evil, wicked person that JWs teach).

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

I would like to see what conversations take place there. Spiritual? Secular? Anything about the convention? Are you planning to throw out a few questions?

Let us know.

Bonafide

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

I showed up for 10 min. and ran out for supplies. No real conversation. Three elders here so far.

They definitely are more uncomfortable than I am. This could be fun. I won't stir the pot too much.

Let you know it goes. I'm off again...

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

and there goes the seed of Satan off to corrupt those loyal JW's

• Heaven
    Heaven

However, if my reason for not going is because of someones religion, I am really no different than they are.

It's a cult so I think you're covered if you don't go... oops... too late.

• White Dove
    White Dove

The elders are more uncomfortable? It sounds like social retardation.

• White Dove
    White Dove

That tired scripture about bad association is still valid. At the most you'll get re-converted. At the least, you'll feel like you wasted your time. But the most important question there is: WILL THERE BE ?

If not, I wouldn't waste my time The refreshing taste of makes almost any situation tolerable.

• homeschool
    homeschool

However, if my reason for not going is because of someones religion, I am really no different than they are.I haven't been to a meeting in years, but was invited to a gathering by my jw sister. I went & all was fine until a "sister" made the comment that she didnt need to guard her stuff since it was an all jw event. Now I will not be attending jw functions anymore....not because of their religion but beccause of the comments the religion teaches them to say

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit