"God's morality is higher than yours" as an illegitimate argument

by gubberningbody 48 Replies latest jw friends

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Farkel

Moreover, Bible-God's "standards" are not immutable as they have changed MANY times in the Bible. The changes from Old Testament laws to New Testament laws is monumental.

Humans can't live up to any standard.

That's what grace is all about

• Farkel
    Farkel

deputy dog,

:Humans can't live up to any standard.

That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Humans can live up to millions of standards.

What makes more sense is, "humans can't live up to any standard their made-up God said humans should live up to."

Farkel

• darkl1ght3r
    darkl1ght3r

Why was a virginity test perscribed for women but not for men? (Deut. 22:13-21; Numbers 5)

Why is it acceptable to sacrifice the life of a woman to save the life of a man? (Genesis 19:7; Judges 19)

Why was an unmarried woman required to marry her rapist? (Deut 22:8, 9)

Why were married women punished by death for not screaming during rape? (Deut 22:28, 29)

Why Jehovah command the Benjamites to kidnap wives for themselves? Why didn't the women have a choice? (Judges 21:14-21)

___

Why does God allow slavery and even the beating of slaves nearly to death? (Exodus 21)

___

Why is Jehovah so bloodthirsty? (Ex 1:10-13; 2 Sam 24; Numbers 31:17, 18; 1 Kings 8:62, 63; 2 Kings 2:23, 24; etc... etc... etc...)

~~~

No God of mine would be misogynistic, condone salvery, or be so violent. Based on these verses, I am morally superior to Jehovah. :)

• White Dove
    White Dove

I give up. I'm on summer vacation from college. I don't want to tackle anything more complicated than Family Guy right now.

My simple answer: Since there is no yard stick with "God's morals are here," his morals can be changeable and erratic.

He kills babies, makes rape victims either marry their rapist or get stoned for fornication, invades cities without warning, floods the whole earth only to fluck up again and wants to destroy it again. If you don't have morals hight than that, I don't want to know you. If I don't have morals higher than God's, I'd better shoot myself right now.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Darklighter, You beat me to it. Why do the others have to make it sound so complicated?

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

gube

You appear to posit the OT as a standard of sorts, but that's incoherent. What passages do you feel define and circumscribe said morality?

In the garden, the law was simple. Don't eat this fruit. So, man ate the fruit.

A law or moral standard, doesn't serve to make anyone righteous. Its causes us to sin. Its purpose is to make us guilty before God.

If you read judges alone you'd be sorely pressed to find your average citizen whose morality doesn't exceed the wondrous "examples of faith" in these tales.

Working around law enforcement for the last 20 years, tells me you don't know what you're talking about.

So, DD your conception of God is a beer-drinking, pot-bellied wife-beating tin-tyrant wearing a stained guinea-t.

That's the problem, we can't really conceive of a perfectly righteous God.

Where did your righteousness come from? That you can be the judge.

• White Dove
    White Dove

When someone uses the words "circumscribe" "posit" and "incoherent" so late at night, my eyes glaze over. I'm on VACATION, dammit!

• White Dove
    White Dove

So, a guy stole a friggin' piece of fruit 6,000 years ago. Who the HELL holds a grudge that long? If the gawd of the Bible can't get over a small thing like that and has to act like a California peach farmer in the dust bowl migration days, he's not worth my time.

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

If the Psalmist was right about Ps 145:16 where it says "You are opening your hand and satisfying the desire of every living thing", I suppose that means when you're dead all bets are off.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

The argument kind of boils down to: is God the good or a good? Is God a good because he adheres to an external moral standard, or is he intrinsically the good, such that his actions thoughts and deeds could not be but any other?

God is himself the standard. In Himself the highest moral standard exists. If it were not so, God would not be God. He does not merely possess goodness. God does not possess attributes. He is these things. He IS the Good. Evil is merely the absence of good to a greater or lesser degree. God is the absolute fullness of moral goodness, and he cannot act against his own nature. He cannot lie, for example, because he is truth as well as good. This is his one limitation.

Who is God?
    "He's smarter, stronger and able to leap tall buildings by just moving them about with his mind."
    None of that argues for moral superiority.

You are correct, but only because these left out a great deal. This "god" is a mere superhero.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit