"God's morality is higher than yours" as an illegitimate argument

by gubberningbody 48 Replies latest jw friends

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

This sort of thing is often posited by religionists and yet it's really just a postulate with no foundation.

Who is God?

"He's smarter, stronger and able to leap tall buildings by just moving them about with his mind."

None of that argues for moral superiority.

If God's were higher than mine in any given instance in order for anyone to know it he or she would have to establish a standard for judgment and then make a comparison. If the standard is self-defined and self-defended then how is it in any way God's? If God did tell you, then don't you have to reason out whether or not it makes moral sense?

• Farkel
    Farkel

This is my argument for your case which is based upon an ancient argument by Socrates:

What's Right About Right?

Farkel

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

gube

God has every right to determine what is right and wrong for humans. Humans have no right to impose any standard on God. He is above that.

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

That's quite the thing Mr F.

I would say that right and wrong are judgments made by individuals with respect to themselves as the standard. This includes God.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Scientifically speaking, where is the measuring rod that determines highness of morals? Read the Old Testament and if your morals are lower than Gods, I don't even want to know you.

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

You miss the point DD.

"God has every right to determine what is right and wrong for humans. "

My answer "Says who? By what method of argumentation?

"Humans have no right to impose any standard on God. He is above that."

My answer "I'm not aware that humans are imposing anything. Impositions are the prerogative of the biggest dog. God is that dod in this equation."

• Farkel
    Farkel

:God has every right to determine what is right and wrong for humans. Humans have no right to impose any standard on God. He is above that.

Obviously, you never read the link I provided. Humans have pleaded for a higher, more merciful standard for God. Lot, for one did, and he was considered one of the most righteous men who ever lived in Hebrews 12.

Moreover, Bible-God's "standards" are not immutable as they have changed MANY times in the Bible. The changes from Old Testament laws to New Testament laws is monumental.

Bible God is anything but consistent, and that makes his standards arbitrary, just as I argue in the link I provided.

Everything I just said is Bible-Based(tm). Really.

Farkel

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog
    My answer "Says who?

God.

By what method of argumentation?

God's will

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

WD, I'm not sure you know what the word "Scientifically" refers to. Let me help. It's when you posit a scenario and then you devise an experiment which can confirm or deny the position. The position is strengthened on confirmation.

You appear to posit the OT as a standard of sorts, but that's incoherent. What passages do you feel define and circumscribe said morality? If you read judges alone you'd be sorely pressed to find your average citizen whose morality doesn't exceed the wondrous "examples of faith" in these tales.

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

So, DD your conception of God is a beer-drinking, pot-bellied wife-beating tin-tyrant wearing a stained guinea-t.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit