Is the NWT the best...

by Narkissos 44 Replies latest watchtower bible

• possible-san
    possible-san

Thus, if we are talking freely, it may stray from that topic.

Sorry.

• Earnest
    Earnest

I think that the any NWT with footnotes is the best Watchtower publication. When the NWT was first produced there were numerous footnotes showing how certain words were rendered in the LXX, the Latin Vulgate, Syriac versions, some of the uncial manuscripts, some papyri as well as the J references. I think that this served as an incentive to quite a few to read further about textual criticism, to learn the original languages (esp. koine Greek) and to compare how other translations rendered these verses.

I cannot think of any other WT publication that provides even a shadow of that stimulation for further research.

• possible-san
    possible-san

I think that the person who knows the "good point" of the NWT knows the "weak point" (defect) of the NWT well concurrently, IMO.

Usually, the LXX of A.Rahlfs is used in the footnotes of the NWT.
    But the divine name is not used in that LXX.

Therefore, people who examine the Bible like the Beroeans discover that those footnotes are not sincere. (ACTS 17:11)
    For example, "2 CHRONICLES 3:1" etc.

And they have committed the same fault also not only in Greek but in Latin.
    For example, "Joshua 22:22", etc.

In Latin, it is written as "Dominus" instead of "Jehovah."

possible
    http://godpresencewithin.web.fc2.com/

• LanDi
    LanDi

Hi Narkissos

It is in my opinion, one of the worst Bible translations. I sat down one afternoon and sat the NWT on the table with four others ( they were part of a huge deluxe compilation, so you can cross reference) and I compared many key scriptures about Salvation. The concept of these ( Many) scriptures is that a man must give his excess to the poor, in order to be saved ( remember Jesus , a rich man cannot get into the kingdom of God)

I was blown away by the end of this day, the NWT is so dramatically different to the other FOUR translation in these key areas, it was difficult to undewrstand what these passages were trying to say in the Jehovahs Witness bible. In other words, they have deliberately obscured the light, to confuse you about what you must do to be saved. What does the bible say about ' if anyone adds something or takes away therre will never be any salvation, they will be eternally condemned) By rendering these important passages so inaccurately, they have done you and all their readers a huge dis-service - if you believe the bible - it could arguably be to the ruin of all of you.

If you have a revelation book , the part about " the witness work that they used to have " (you know the passage surely) check that Bible scripture in the NWT against as many bibles as you can find, I did. Only one other bible had the same rendering of that passage - the others were translated as " the testimony that they were KEEPING " ! That's a huge change.

If you are searching for the truth, keep a thoroughly open mind - "Watdch nobody misleads you "-jesus. He wasn't talking to JW's he was talking to everybody............

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hi LanDi,

You are actually replying to the other thread (that from which you linked to here), but never mind, you're not alone... :)

I'm not sure what scriptures you're referring to in your 1st paragraph. Might be interesting to check. There are a lot of differences among NT texts on such a topic (that is, if I understood you correctly: how wealth and/or the use thereof relate to "salvation"). I don't think I have ever noticed any particular NWT bias on this issue but I may have missed or forgotten something.

Is the other text you are thinking about Revelation 12:17? The NWT (over)translates it as: "who observe the commandments of God and have the work of bearing witness to Jesus." On this one I would agree with you: the notion of "work" is read into the text, literally, "those who keep God's commandments and have Jesus' testimony/witness/martyrdom'. "Jesus' testimony" (or "the testimony of Jesus", marturia Ièsou) is also found in 1:2, and strangely the NWT explicits the genitive (the 's or "of" relationship) in the opposite (subjective) sense, as "the witness Jesus gave"; in 1:9, 12:17, 19:10b, 20:4, on the contrary, objective sense, "bearing witness to Jesus"; the notion of "work" first appears in 6:9 as an overtranslation of the verb ekhô, "have": "the testimony they had" becomes "the witness work that they used to have" (the tense is a schoolish rendering of the Greek imperfect); again in 19:10, "who have the work of witnessing to Jesus"; cf. "their witnessing" in 11:7; 12:11, without the verb...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit