The more I think about it, the more the eternal condemnation of Adam and Eve makes no sense

by gubberningbody 27 Replies latest jw friends

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

I know the narrative, but no where in the narrative were Adam and Eve informed that Jehovah would use their dying bodies to create a world of a holocaust with bodies smoking up to the sky and seas filled to the brim with floating bloated corpses like some bloodied, stale Dinty-Moore stew left to boil dry under an angry sun.

They just thought they would die.

Surely they would have said no to all that if they'd known the consequences.

Moreover "I" need to know what they were thinking and feeling. The Bible doesn't give me jack-squat. I'm just supposed to suppose that in 900 years of living they hadn't a thought in their heads about all they'd see and how they felt.

I need to see them and judge them myself before I can condemn them.

I can't just have some uber-being say "trust, me, they were shit, now shaddap ere ye be next me boyo!"

• Robdar
    Robdar

I have yet to find in scripture where Adam and Eve were supposed to live forever. Maybe the story is not true and is instead an allegory?

You have been misled but I see you are wising up. Congratulations.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Key thought here....

The more I think about it
  • gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

It's implied Rob.

The consequences, the picture you're painting (which I find unacceptable) is that Jehovah is just some demonic demi-urge for having dabbled in creating anything.

Where's the allegory in that?

I call BS.

Oh, and the other thing is that I already know that mind is a necessary thing for this universe. The multiverse theory is and will always remain an unprovable idea.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Oh, so it is implied? Really? How so? I call your BS. Show your cards.

the picture you're painting (which I find unacceptable) is that Jehovah is just some demonic demi-urge for having dabbled in creating anything

What in the name of sweet jesus are you talking about?

• Robdar
    Robdar

Gubberning, do you have children?

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

That's easy Rob, "blah, blah...if you eat of this tree you will die". If it was necessarily so that he would've died anyway then the whole thing is senseless and there would be no conceivable psychological reason for a culture to preserve the record.

The onus is on the anus who says "allegorical" and that it was treated as such from the beginning by those who superintended its recording/preservation.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Christianity should toss Genesis out of the Bible. It causes them too many problems.

Explanations for some of the silliness in it are often sillier than the passage they are trying to comprehend.

Once I worked out that it was just a collection of old legends, Genesis made sense.

If I was an Australian Aboriginal I would have the Rainbow Serpent as creating Australia, but I'm not. If I was descended from middle eastern goat herders I would have Jehovah as the creator, but I'm not. If I was a NZ Maori I would have Maui pulling Aotearoa up out of the sea, but I'm not.

I reckon you should just go with the traditional stories of the society you were born in, but don't take them too seriously. Science has moved on quite a bit since the originators of our 'histories' sat around their fires entertaining their grandchildren.

Cheers

Chris

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

Rob, look up the gnostics in wikipedia or their writings on the Fordham Uni. web site. In their minds (as in the minds of the Greeks) any creator worth his salt would be a do nothing creator. Jehovah, was a demiurge in their view - a lesser god for having created the evil material realm.

• Robdar
    Robdar

If it was necessarily so that he would've died anyway then the whole thing is senseless and there would be no conceivable psychological reason for a culture to preserve the record.

I believe it says "in the day you eat of it you will surely die", meaning that the dying process would speed up. If Adam and Eve didn't know of death, this threat would mean nothing.

Of course, I do not believe the story. Well, I almost believe the part where Adam blamed Eve for his misery. That is pretty much human nature.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit