What Makes Blood Sacred?

by cameo-d 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

And don't give me that parrot phrase "the life is in the blood."

That tells me nothing.

Of course, life is in the blood because if you don't have blood you would not be alive.

What I want to know is what makes your blood any more sacred or special than mine?

By not having a transfusion, does this make you a "pure blood"?

How does your genetics figure into this?

If you are considered "pure blood" because none of your family has ever had blood transfusions...then why would it not hurt to share a little of your "clean blood" with me if I need a transfusion?

Why so damn stingy with your "clean blood"?

Is a person made special or sacred according to his physical blood?

What of people who had blood transfusions before they became witnesses? According to the rules and regs of Jah, does this mean they are forever damned? Or does baptism "clean up that transfused blood"?

• Robdar
    Robdar

I know you are probably directing your question to the JW's but I would like for the lurkers to read my answer because I believe it will help them :

The Jews believe the spark of the divine, the breath of God, is carried in the blood. This breath animates us and will continue to do so until the spark returns to the One who gave it. This is what makes blood sacred.

I don't worry about blood transfusions anymore because Jews believe it is an absolute commandment from God to choose life.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Robdar....

My questions are directed to anyone who reads them and has a possible answer.

Your answer was a very good one.

I wonder if most people equate "breath of god" with lung activity?

Breath as a metaphor for blood makes a lot of sense.

• saywhat29
    saywhat29

Hmm, I think blood is 'sacred' because it caontains the history of so many people of the past...I mean as long as there have been people on this planet, there has been someone here that you are connected to somehow. I remember this one line from a bar of a song that said "My blood is a million stories" and I think that has some truth to it.

Its not the end all and be all of relationships, and I wouldn't call it 'sacred'... and I know now better to equate blood with family but its pretty effin amazing to me what blood contains. And hell what it even does..

As for the 'blood contains life' questions.. eh, I think those are silly because blood can't exist on its own and requires a bunch of other things to = 'life'.

• sacolton
    sacolton

JW DAD:
    There are Jews in the world.
    There are Buddhists.
    There are Hindus and Mormons, and then
    There are those that follow Mohammed, but
    I've never been one of them.

I'm a Jehovah's Witness,
    And have been since before I was born,
    And the one thing they say about Witnesses is:
    They'll take you as soon as you're warm.

You don't have to be a six-footer.
    You don't have to have a great brain.
    You don't have to have any clothes on. You're
    A Witness the moment Dad came,

Because

Every blood is sacred.
    Every blood is great.
    If blood is wasted,
    God gets quite irate.

CONGREGATION:
    Every blood is sacred.
    Every blood is great.
    If blood is wasted,
    God gets quite irate.

JW GIRL:
    Let the heathen spill theirs
    On the dusty ground.
    God shall make them pay for
    Each red cell that can't be found.

JW CHILDREN:
    Every blood is wanted.
    Every blood is good.
    Every blood is needed
    In your neighbourhood.

JW MOM:
    Hindu, Taoist, Mormon,
    Spill theirs just anywhere,
    But God loves those who treat their
    Plasma with more care.

JW MEN:
    Every blood is sacred.
    Every blood is great.
    JW WOMEN:
    If blood is wasted,...
    CHILDREN:
    ...God get quite irate.

MINISTERAL SERVANT:
    Every blood is sacred.
    BRIDE and GROOM:
    Every blood is good.
    ELDERS:
    Every blood is needed...
    ELDERS WIVES:
    ...In your neighbourhood!

CHILDREN:
    Every blood is useful.
    Every blood is fine.
    CIRCUIT OVERSEER:
    God needs everybody's.
    MOURNER #1:
    Mine!
    MOURNER #2:
    And mine!
    CORPSE:
    And mine!

GOVERNING BODY:
    Let the Pagan spill theirs
    O'er mountain, hill, and plain.
    BETHELITES:
    God shall strike them down for
    Each red cell that's spilt in vain.

EVERYONE:
    Every blood is sacred.
    Every blood is good.
    Every blood is needed
    In your neighbourhood.

Every blood is sacred.
    Every blood is great.
    If blood is wasted,
    God gets quite iraaaaaate!

• journey-on
    journey-on

I still have a problem with the blood issue even though I am no longer a JW. Something tells me intuitively that putting someone else's blood into my body is a very very serious thing, not to be done except possibly in a life or death situation. Sanctity of life = Sanctity of blood. Your life story is in your blood and it carries the details of that story and indeed, your family tree's story.

I think the story(?) of the killing off of all people except Noah and his family, the command to the Israelites not to mix with other nations, blood sacrifices, and the account of Jesus and his geneaology, even the Cain and Abel account, all have something to do with "blood" line.

• villabolo
    villabolo

From I gather, in Genesis 9:4,5, God simply wants us to acknowledge that he is the owner of the animal kingdom and that by allowing us to eat meat we are indebted to return something to him in exchange. That something could in theory have been the heart or the brains but it just so happened, for cultural reasons to be blood. However, if the creatures' or humans' life is not taken there is no need to apply this scripture. Bleeding the creature or human of a small amount of blood and using it does not violate the intention of the Scripture.

villabolo

• BorgHater
    BorgHater

Sacolton - OMG ILMFAO. Did you make that up yourself? It's brilliant! I imagined it being sung by the cast of Monty Python, playing all the different jw characters and that made it even funnier

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

What always confused me is that if god calls the blood back to him because it's sacred, what's he getting so worked up about, I'm just borrowing it till I die, it's a pretty sound investment that I'm going to croak sooner or later so what's the big deal? Does God have patience issues? If the blood is such a big deal, why let thousands of years of blood shed happen? I mean, it's got to be a pain in the arse to have to magically vaccum up all the sacredness over the timespan of human existence and what the heck does he do with it when he gets it back?

• sacolton

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit