To: Ex-JW Women - Your Side

by Amazing 49 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

Ladies,

Have any of you read, Visions of Glory, by Barbara Grizuti Harrison. It is out of print but you could get it through inter-library loan. It is the only book I know of that tells the JW leaving in detail, from a woman's point of view. Barbara is a gifted writer, who went on to write several novels after writing this book. Her last book, An Accidental Autobiography, talks about her Witness experience but with less detail.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I haven't larc, but with your recommendation, will start looking for a copy. Thanks!

Andi

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Andi, my fathers ex-wife (never a witness, but two of her kids are) slipped me (when her witness daughter wasn't looking) the Visions of Glory book last time I visited. I'll slip it to you this weekend, if you like. The book, Neil, I'll slip her the book.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Oh yeah, forgot to say to hemp lover: Woman, Feet!

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Larc,

Have any of you read, Visions of Glory, by Barbara Grizuti Harrison. It is out of print but you could get it through inter-library loan. It is the only book I know of that tells the JW leaving in detail, from a woman's point of view. Barbara is a gifted writer, who went on to write several novels after writing this book. .

I concur with your opinion. Ms. Harrison writing style is wonderful. I read 'Visions Of Glory when it was first released and it had a profound effect on me, due as you note, to its unusual persepective.

I well remember the comment made to her by Knorr when she resigned from Bethel. If you remember he accused her of being 'too smart'. It was meant as an insult.

If this link works a person will be able to track down used copies here :

; http://www.addall.com/Used/

Best regards Larc -- HS

PS : I have made a smaller link. Just type 'harrison' for author, 'glory' for titles and hit enter.

Thank you Disciple Six for pointing this out to me. Even the Master needs to be Mastered sometimes!

• FreeFallin
    FreeFallin

(((to everyone)))

What moving experiences, some of them are so sad. It sounds like most of you have conquered your oppressors. My story is so boring in comparison. i never had a problem with the headship thing, or elders being superior, because for as long as I can remember, I felt women were inferior to men. I always wanted to be a boy, because that would have made my father happy. We weren't in the truth, he had a drinking problem, but when he was in a good mood, it was great. When I started to "develope" that's when all hell broke loose.

I've always had almost a fear of men in authority: cops,teachers, and yes, elders. But with that fear comes a later reaction, seething anger, resentment and stubbornness. I guess that's why I was so shaken by an elder that showed humility and compassion.

Lady Lee,
    That sign language story was incredible! What must people in the real world think of this nonsense.

Someone else mentioned a sister putting a towel over her head to offer a prayer because of 6 or 7 year old boys being present. Guess I was never in the right place at the right time to see this bit of foolishness.

Thank you Amazing for starting this thread. I think I'm seeing things clearer everyday.
    FreeFalling(Almost Free)

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Sexy Sixy,

Thanks for thinking of slipping me the uh...er...ahem...the book. Would love to read it!

Hillary,

I well remember the comment made to her by Knorr when she resigned from Bethel. If you remember he accused her of being 'too smart'. It was meant as an insult.
    I heard this several times from my very own father when I left at 19. I've heard it a time or two since then when I question him on his own beliefs. It usually is in the form of "You think you're so smart, don't you!" or "You're really wise, aren't you?". If my questions strike too closely to the quick, he'll just stop talking to me. It amazes me to this day how scared they are of TRUTH and how quick they are to be spiritual ostriches.

Andi

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Once again, a man, thinking he will solve womens problems, has destroyed a perfectly good conversation. Hillary, your link has ruined this tea party! Fix it or I'll cry like a woman.

Edited to add: thank you Hillary, you're the best master a disciple could have.

• Erich
    Erich

Pathofthorns:

19 Single sisters, not having a human head to consult with and confide in, may be more apt to ‘throw their burdens upon Jehovah.’...

I accidentally put this text into a language translating program, which translates automatically into German..

Ooooh that was funny. I did not laugh so much since a long time...

• Kay Francis
    Kay Francis

This is an excellent thread because so many JW women are oppressed. It is a shame to be stripped of all of your dignity, especially when you know you're smart. I never gave in to the condescending attitudes that resulted from the folks in the cong. In fact, I really didn't have many friends in my local congregation. I had friends around the Nation though because they too experienced the same dilemma that I did. It's amazing because I pioneered long enough to snag a brother from Bethel, and after we got married he did not make demands that I pioneer. Therefore, I only aux. pion. from time to time. We had about 42 hungry single sisters in our congregation that snidely reminded me that I was not doing enough in the field ministry and especially not setting the example as an elder's wife. I recently found out from a sister that the single sisters felt that I was spiritually weak, and that I just got by on my husband's merits. My husband and I left the org some four years ago, and before we quit going I was self-employed and quite successful. I used to shop at boutiques and always had on a new suit or dress. The JW's could not stand that. Yes, I had it going on, and I really flaunted it in their face. In fact, one brother and his wife would ask me if an outfit I was wearing was "new" or not. I would reply "I got this out of the back of my closet." Then the next time they would see me at the KH, I would have on another new dress or suit, and they would remark "now I know you didn't get that out of the back of your closet." What a trip! That's all I'm going to write for now because I could actually write a book. In fact, look for my personal story later on this forum. I just started posting here and have not had the time to write it up as yet. I just wanted to throw in my two cents while this topic is so hot.

Ain't no thang but a chicken wang!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit