Learning to Ski ! (time for a mid-year resolution)

by Simon 23 Replies latest social physical

• Farkel
    Farkel

simon,

:Does anyone else here ski and have any tips for us?

I skied for many years, but can't afford to do so anymore. I grew up in Utah where they have the finest powder snow in the world. Skiing in northern Utah deep powder is like skiing in feathers!

It takes patience and years to get any good at it and to be able to handle the black diamond runs. A good teacher is a must if you don't want to learn how do it it the hard way, like I did!

One of the biggest mistake beginners make and the mistake which causes the most injuries is how to fall. There is a natural tendency to want to fall forward and break your fall with your arms. That's the best way to ruin your knees. Fall backwards on your butt and back with your legs up in the air in most cases and you'll avoid those twisted knee injuries.

You've got some of the best snow in the world up there. I envy you being able to ski.

Good luck!

Farkel

• blondie
    blondie

Get a good teacher. If I can ski, anyone can. I'm afraid of heights, no sports champion, and hate the cold. But once you have a grasp on the basics, it's fun.

Blondie

• Heaven
    Heaven

Awesome, Simon! I hope you have/had fun! I learned to ski about 15 years ago at Mount St. Louis-Moonstone in Ontario and have also been to Horseshoe. The snow conditions change so there are varying surfaces you'll encounter. Skiing on ice was tough .... that really works out the leg muscles. You're in the right neck of the woods out West. They have some of the best skiing.

Definitely be prepared to have a few falls. Getting off the lift is a challenge the first couple of times. You will definitely fall! As Farkel said, try to avoid twisting your knees. And I totally agree with Farkel and Blondie... get a good teacher/instructor.

Skating is fun too and a little less expensive. Of course, my bro loves the snowmobiling in the winter. I love it too as well as tobogganing. There is also snowshoeing and cross-country skiing as other winter activites. And of course I love horseback riding any time.

It's always fun to learn something new. "To Learn" is one of the 4 human needs.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

With friends is my favorite way to go. :) I've never taken an official lesson in my life but have always seemed to luck out ending up with the best folks to go and end up with great tips to get me by on the rare occasions that I've gone. Skiers are awesome people. :) I second the comments that the view from the top is spectacular. Well worth it all even if you're not a regular! Snowmobiling is great too if you have a group to go with and especially if you go to a lodge somewhere in the thick of a mountain range. :) Hope you have fun and stay safe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit