Learning to Ski ! (time for a mid-year resolution)

by Simon 23 Replies latest social physical

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

chillfactor

You could have skied at home!

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Pardon my late entry on this thread, I haven't seen if you've gone for a ski yet or not.
    I highly recommend renting skis the first go or so, this can be done right at the hill or from sportsrent, the experts there are very helpful.
    COP is sure to have lessons for beginners which is totally worth any expense incurred, IMO.
    You need to learn how to stop before you have fun learning how to go very fast.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter
    Rent your equipment until you decide to take it up as more than a hobby.

Definitely rent the first couple of times.

Then when you get past the bunny slope with rental gear and find yourself seriously hooked on the sport (living in Alberta makes the "hooked" part quite likely), here's a way to save money. When you're at the beginner-becoming-an-intermediate stage, you don't need the very lastest and fanciest gear, and anyway you'll "outgrow" it as your skills improve. So it doesn't make sense to drop a lot on entry-level gear you'll only need for a season or two. Instead, buy used rental equipment: they usually sell it off every year as the season starts winding down, for a very nice price. Shop around and look at how many times you can rent for the price of buying the same used rental gear. If you'll be skiing many times a season it's probably a good deal.

Have fun, you've earned it. And wear a helmet, we need you Simon!

GLT

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

Although I've lived four hours from the Rockies all my life, I never learned to ski. Main reason was that it was very expensive when I was young and we could never afford it. And of course as JWs it was not really that important (we did ice skate, which I never enjoyed cause my feet always hurt).

My first experience skiing was as an adult. We had played a new years eve gig at a nearby resort and they gave us all free skiing the next day. my younger siblings had all learned to ski and they enjoyed it. I put on the skis, screamed all the way down the bunny hill, terrified and unable to control myself or stop. Took the skis off at the bottom of the hill, and then went into the lodge and enjoyed the rest of the day with hot toddies in front of the fire! I put it down to one of those experiences that just was not going to work for me learning it as an adult.

I bought my youngest daughter a snowboard at one of our first xmas's, and she was so ecstatic - I remember her running around the house hugging the board all evening. Two of my daughters snowboard and love it, but it usually involves a weekend at the mountains and the accompanying expense, so they don't go that often. But they are passionate about the sport and recommend it highly.

I've heard that snowboarding is easier than skiing and a lot more enjoyable. I would definately recommend lessons, though, in any case. But since you are so close to all those wonderful hills...

• zagor
    zagor

Well you never know we just might see you in Vancouver this year then ;)
    Calgary must be too cold anyway, Vancouver would be one of the nicest places I've ever been to. Mind you, I'll leave skiing to professionals lol

• Simon
    Simon

Yeah, I wonder if I can still make the Olympic team? LOL

We have some very good friends who are very good skiers and they are going to take us out and show us the ropes.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Go for it Simon, skiing is fun to learn and as its been already mentioned, renting your skiing equipment

is recommended for the first couple of times, they have boots, bindings, poles everything you need you can rent at the hill.

Do bring sunglasses if its a bright day and warm head gear and gloves of course, an extra pair of socks is a good idea,

to put on after your day of skiing because the ones you wear tend to get sweaty and cold.

A small camera is a good thing to carry with you too, the scenery up the mountains is beautiful.

• Simon
    Simon

I've threatened to turn up in one of those skin-tight olympic style ski-suits

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Modesty Simon Modesty

You'll have a bunch of cute ski bunnies chasing you if you do

• Satanus
    Satanus

If your friends want you to go up any higher than the bunny hill, suggest the bunny hill, instead. Make sure you can snow plow really good, before you go much higher.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit