Learning to Ski ! (time for a mid-year resolution)

by Simon 23 Replies latest social physical

• Simon
    Simon

So we've been here in Calgary for 2 and a half years now, through 3 winters and right near to snow-covered slopes of Nakiska, Lake Louise (Sunshine Village), Banfff, Golden (Kicking Horse), Fernie, Kimberley and probably others.

How much skiing have we done in that time? None!

People fly half way round the world to ski here and we haven't bothered driving down the road. I feel bad ... like a rubbish Canadian (we can't ice-skate either!)

We were actually supposed to learn last winter - one of my colleagues offered to take us to Canada Olympic Park (where the 1988 Winter Olympics were held with Eddie the Eagle and the Jamaican Bob Sleigh team) and give us some lessons (she and her boyfriend are into skiing BIG time) but they closed just the day before we rang up & planned to go (even though there was lots of snow - I guess they have to pick an end-date for the season to employ people etc...)

So, this year, we vow to go to COP as soon as it opens, strap some planks of wood to my feet and launch off a mountain. That's what is going to happen in my head ... in reality, we'll be on the 'bunny hill' but she's promised not to make we wear a harness that the experienced skier can use to control your descent (oh, the shame).

Does anyone else here ski and have any tips for us?

I went into MEC (Mountain Equipment Company which has the coolest web address ... mec.ca !) and ski equipment does look really cool but complicated. I have no idea what style of skiing I want to do until I try them (back country, downhill etc...) or if I should try snowboarding even and what the hell are bindings?!?!

It's going to be a tough winter when it comes. I'm probably too late to get into the Vancouver 2010 games now anyway though, LOL

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Safety first!

I hope you guys enjoy it.

I've never tried it, myself, but I'd like to.

My friends have recommended that I go straight to the snowboard!

• Robdar
    Robdar

Sounds like a good time. Please report back about your adventure and do not forget to post pics.

• VIII
    VIII

Rent your equipment until you decide to take it up as more than a hobby. It gets really expensive. We have a *bunny hill* near Chicago, in Wisconsin, called Wilmot, and some people purchase equipment that they use 2-3 times per year. Just not worth it.

Oh, and if you see a tree coming at you, steer the other direction. They hurt.

• VIII
    VIII

I have to add:

My first ski outting was with the kids from the KH. I had never seen a pair of skis up close and had no idea how. I wore a pair of blue jeans and no hat.

It was cold!

But, going with a group of JWs was in and of itself, weird. I just remembered that. Even weirder. I can see them all just like yesterday.

They seemed to like the beer and the fireplace more than the skiing. I was about 13.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Good for you Simon!..

My advice..Get some lessons..It will pay off big time..

....................OUTLAW

• Satanus
    Satanus

Ahh, those names bring back memories. On your first time, you can cut a lot of time off the learning curve by taking lessons. As well, lessons will help you to stear clear of bad habits. If you do it as a family, you all can have a good laugh, together, too.

S

• chickpea
    chickpea

i heartily encourage you to
    keep this resolution!
    (just wear a helmet)

all my kids had skiing lessons
    and when the youngest was 5
    i took my first lessons, was finally
    able to move beyond "bunny" to
    intermediate..... was captivated
    by the view of lake superior from
    the top of the hill, and vowed i
    would be back at it the next year....

then i crashed a motorcycle the
    following summer and live with
    a knee that is functional but not
    stable and ..... well, i am glad for
    that one winter...

• lurk3r
    lurk3r

Congrats Simon.

I board, even though it has been a couple years since I have been up to a mountain myself.

I have skied before though too, and once I tried boarding, I was hooked. Cross country skiing lacked excitement, but was great excersize. Downhill, was amazing.

Of course your gonna make your own way, but I say boarding is the way to go. So many ex skiers out there attest to this.

If your going to go to COP and have someone show you how to ski, that might be a great introduction. There is going to be a learning curve of course, and THEN when you go and board, your going to have another one. Granted it shouldn't be as steep.

Bindings are what hold your ski boots to the ski's Simon. The are adjustable, and they are adjusted so that if you do fall down, they break away from your ski's if you have a big wipeout. You prevent broken bones this way, and is primarily a saftely feature. Boarding binding are similar.

Try before you buy! Renting is the key here, try em both and see what ya love! Rental boards are no where near as nice as your own personal gear. However, if you rent em, you will appreciate just how nice it is to have your own when the time comes.

I have heard many great things about Kicking Horse too. It's relatively new compared to most of the other hills there, a few years ago I heard someone refoer to it as a "world class hill, that not to many people know how good it actually is". This was a while ago mind you. That would by my hill of choice though.

This last bit here is something I wish I knew before I learned to board. Your gonna fall down, lots. The first time I went, it was cold and icy, and by the end of the day, my ass was so sore, and so wre my arms from pushing myself back up. It's way more fun to learn on some fresh powder, and powder(freshly fallen snow) thats not very deep either. If it's really deep, thats more work in itself.

Take some lessons though. Expect for a solid day of wtf, and then once you start to get the hang of it, its so fun...you wont regret it, and wish ya went before I bet. Warm drinks in the lodge always make for a good day too.

Have FUN!

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I agree, rent your equipment instead of investing a ton of money and do invest in lessons. I'm not a downhill skier, not my thing, but used to do a lot of cross country. Once I get back to Canada, I'll be picking up that pace a lot because there's nothing like the swish of skis on the crisp snow as you move through the forests - only the birds and you and maybe a wine skin - then there's the chalet afterward or just a hot stove and a cup of chocolate! It's all good! Downhill is of course more fast paced than cross country and each has its own supporters so it just depends on what you want. Downhill, you go up a lift and ski down to the bottom and it's faster, more thrilling for most people - cross country is on the ground, lighter gear to wear and just like gliding so it tends to be considered a lot more sedate but a good workout. Enjoy yourself! sammieswife.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit