"i could have calibrated those words differently"...obama...who talks like that?

by oompa 47 Replies latest jw friends

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I have to say,

The cop, no doubt, knows the laws concerning disorderly conduct and the proper wording to put in the police report. This seems to be the crux of this situation now. I really was thinking six was over-the-top a bit when he first started posting about this matter. I am like, just be respectful, Gates and none of this would have happened to you. I personally have had horrible experiances with cops, I actually thought they were here to serve and protect.

The word tumultuous was repeated serveral times in the police report.

From wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disorderly_conduct

A typical statutory definition of disorderly conduct, in this case Indiana's, defines the offense in this way:

A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally:
    (1) engages in fighting or in tumultuous conduct;
    (2) makes unreasonable noise and continues to do so after being asked to stop; or
    (3) disrupts a lawful assembly of persons;
    commits disorderly conduct. . . [1]

tu·mul·tu·ous            Listen to the pronunciation of tumultuous
    1 : marked by tumult <tumultuous applause> 2 : tending or disposed to cause or incite a tumult <the laws…were violated by a tumultuous faction — Edward Gibbon> 3 : marked by violent or overwhelming turbulence or upheaval <tumultuous passions> — tu·mul·tu·ous·ly adverb — tu·mul·tu·ous·ness noun on Disorderly Conduct from wikipedia

Interpretation

The courts confronted with cases stemming from these arrests have from time to time had occasion to restrict the broad and vague definitions of the statute to make certain that freedom of speech and assembly and other forms of protected expression under the First Amendment were not affected. [citation needed] They also have had occasion to curb its scope to make certain that people were (or could have been) aware that their conduct was, in fact, within the prohibition of the statute, as required by the due process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. However, no court has struck down a disorderly conduct statute as being per se unconstitutionally vague or overbroad. Courts have been willing to strike down vagrancy ordinances which are nearly as vague and do not give adequate warning.

States like California that have common law have disorderly conduct mentioned in different codes. California Penal Code § 415 which is similar to the Model Penal Code reiteration above actually concerns disturbing the peace. However, in California disorderly conduct (California Penal Code § 647) lists what acts constitute disorderly conduct.

Section 647: Every person who commits any of the following acts is guilty of disorderly conduct, a misdemeanor
    (a) Who solicits anyone to engage in or who engages in lewd or dissolute conduct in any public place or in any place open to the public or exposed to public view.
    (b) Who solicits or who agrees to engage in or who engages in any act of prostitution. A person agrees to engage in an act of prostitution when, with specific intent to so engage, they manifest an acceptance of an offer or solicitation to so engage, regardless of whether the offer or solicitation was made by a person who also possessed the specific intent to engage in prostitution. No agreement to engage in an act of prostitution shall constitute a violation of this subdivision unless some act, in addition to the agreement, is done within this state in furtherance of the commission of an act of prostitution by the person agreeing to engage in that act. As used in this subdivision, "prostitution" includes any lewd act between persons for money or other consideration.
    (c) Who accosts other persons in any public place or in any place open to the public for the purpose of begging or soliciting alms.
    (d) Who loiters in or about any toilet open to the public for the purpose of engaging in or soliciting any lewd or lascivious or any unlawful act.
    (e) Who loiters or wanders upon the streets or from place to place without apparent reason or business and who refuses to identify themselves and to account for their presence when requested by any peace officer so to do, if the surrounding circumstances would indicate to a reasonable person that the public safety demands this identification.
    (f) Who is found in any public place under the influence of intoxicating liquor, any drug, controlled substance, toluene, or any combination of any intoxicating liquor, drug, controlled substance, or toluene, in a condition that they are unable to exercise care for their own safety or the safety of others, or by reason of their being under the influence of intoxicating liquor, any drug, controlled substance, toluene, or any combination of any intoxicating liquor, drug, or toluene, interferes with or obstructs or prevents the free use of any street, sidewalk, or other public way.
    (h) Who loiters, prowls, or wanders upon the private property of another, at any time, without visible or lawful business with the owner or occupant. As used in this subdivision, "loiter" means to delay or linger without a lawful purpose for being on the property and for the purpose of committing a crime as opportunity may be discovered.
    (i) Who, while loitering, prowling, or wandering upon the private property of another, at any time, peeks in the door or window of any inhabited building or structure, without visible or lawful business with the owner or occupant.
    (j) Who lodges in any building, structure, vehicle, or place, whether public or private, without the permission of the owner or person entitled to the possession or in control of it.
    (k) (1) Any person who looks through a hole or opening, into, or otherwise views, by means of any instrumentality, including, but not limited to, a periscope, telescope, binoculars, camera, motion picture camera, or camcorder, the interior of a bedroom, bathroom, changing room, fitting room, dressing room, or tanning booth, or the interior of any other area in which the occupant has a reasonable expectation of privacy, with the intent to invade the privacy of a person or persons inside. This subdivision shall not apply to those areas of a private business used to count currency or other negotiable instruments.
  • ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

The place Obama's in is very similar to all of us faders. When we talk to bORG members, we have to calibrate our words so as not to incite a malestrom of judgements and accusations.

Let's see, if George Bush had said that how would he have re-calibrated?

First, somebody would have had to explain to him what re-calibrate is then he would probably say "well, if he hadn't done something stupid I wouldn't have said that"

I think It was stupid for the cop to arrest him. What was the point, he wasn't putting anyone in danger, the cop knew by that time he was in his own house, what was the real reason the cop arrested him?

It was because Gates showed him disrespect so the old catch all law of disorderly conduct was put into use. It's the same law that makes us cower before a police officer during a traffic stop or in any other situation where we may be confronted by the police without doing anything wrong. If we argue with the person, we can get arrested for disorderly conduct. Obviously the charge was trumped because the city refused to prosecute it knowing they wouldn't have a chance of making it stick. It was a stupid arrest and the city of Cambridge admitted it by not pressing charges

Let's face facts, whenever a cop get's his feelings hurt by someone spouting smart ass remarks they can us the disorderly conduct law and hassle that person.

LD

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I would like to add in reading about disorderly conduct, when protecting the public from an offender, it is about being disruptive to the public, not police officers.

Possibly, the policeman was clever to get Gates outside, but honestly, is Gates responsible for any onlookers that happened to be there when he got on the porch?

How much noise can come from your own porch before it is considered disruptive to the public?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Until we are in the New System and Perfect, this kind of stuff is going to happen.

I know Jehovah has His own timetable, but I just wish it would happen soon :sigh:

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

As for the topic, I have concluded Obama has nothing to apologize for.

purps

bye for now, pooltime, have fun!!!!!

• journey-on
    journey-on

Be careful in the pool, Purps.........check your PMs.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

have fun purps!

• inkling
    inkling
    ...who talks like that?

Hmmm.. people who own and know how to use a thesaurus?

[inkling]

• JeffT
    JeffT

"You could tell them to go f--k themselves," says Shane, "and that's fine."

I'd like to be a fly on the wall when says that to a couple of co-workers, or better yet, his boss.

My problem with what Obama said, is that he preceded it with "we don't have all the facts" or words to that effect. That should have been a clue to himself to stop talking.

• journey-on
    journey-on
    My problem with what Obama said, is that he preceded it with "we don't have all the facts" or words to that effect. That should have been a clue to himself to stop talking.
    You are asking him to do the impossible. He is a bloviator. He loves to tickle your ears and hear himself expound on everything from A to Z. He is the one that turned this whole thing into a race issue, imo. He could have waited for all the facts to come in, simply stated I don't think this was about race....but, no-o-o-o...he had to bloviate with his thoughts about the stupidity of cops and the black man's plight. I wish he would "bloviate" about the real details hidden in his health care package.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit