Afterbirth: It's What's for Dinner!

by VIII 19 Replies latest jw friends

• VIII
    VIII

Read this story in Time magazine.

Bon appetit!

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1908194,00.html

Here is the video from Time's website if you actually want to see it happening:

http://www.time.com/time/video/?bcpid=1485842900&bctid=27457107001

Would a JW eat a placenta?

• nelly136
    nelly136

well by the time it was scrubbed n steamed theyd probably finished off any goodness left in it, ida thought a quick flash fry and rare would have preserved more of the nutrients

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/101944.stm got complaints when someone did it on telly here

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is just wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

L.L.

• VIII
    VIII

From the story:

"Though I am exceedingly squeamish, when my son was born, I was shocked that I saw only the beauty of childbirth. Until the placenta came out. There are many normal human reactions to seeing a placenta, ranging from screaming to vomiting to warding it off with a cross.

It's what your liver would look like if it got into an accident on the autobahn with one of those aliens from Mars Attacks! and their bloody carcasses threw jellyfish at each other.

When the placenta did come out, Cassandra, dazed from 21 hours of labor, somehow made sure the nurses delivered it to us in a flat plastic container, which I put into an ice-filled Monsters vs Aliens cooler I brought. When I asked if I could keep the placenta overnight in the refrigerator out in the hall, the nurses looked at me like I was crazy. When you gross out people who work at a hospital, you have accomplished something.

she told me that some people drink the placenta raw as a smoothie."

Seriously, you are eating the stuff that came out of you. Granted, it is cooked and dehydrated, but, OMG!!!

There has to be a better way. There just has to be. Just because animals do it is not a good reason.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Wasn't this what Tom Cruise was going to do/did?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

The only placenta I've ever seen was the one of my last child. Hubby claims he's seen every one of them from our four births. I've heard of people eating it for some sort of spiritual meaning. I'd rather have some ribs.

• John Doe
    John Doe

I've seen lots of cow afterbirth. It's just a runny, gooey, bloody mess.

• crapola
    crapola

This is just to gross!!

• VIII
    VIII

Ribs! Yes, yes, yes.

I was going to have sushi tonight, but, now I'm thinking ribs. Yum!

Thanks mrsjones.

I have a friend who is having a baby and is due next week. I asked her about the placenta and she literally gagged and asked if I were crazy. I showed her the hard copy of Time and she said people that would do this are crazy.

I decided not to ask if I could have it.

• choosing life
    choosing life

That is gross, but the placenta has been used in many products that we use for years. The hospital actually saves it and sells it by the pound to companies.

I saw a freezer full of placentas waiting to be sold at the hospital, gross too.

When I had my first child, the placenta was by all estimates, the most disturbing thing. No way would I want to eat it or take it home.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit