If A Police Officer "Asked" You To Do Something Would You Necessarily Do It?

by minimus 43 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

If a cop asked you if he could search your vehicle, would you let him?

Not without a warrant.

If a cop asked you personal information would you feel obliged to answer him?

Depends on the circumstance. I got pulled one night and the cop wanted to interrogate me about my whereabouts that evening. None of his business. Give me a ticket or let me go. But there would be situations where I would feel obliged to answer.

Do you believe that a police officer has the "right" to question you about a matter simply because he's a cop?

No. Not just because he's a cop. However, if, while performing his duty as a police officer, he is required to question me about something, then he as the right.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    If a cop asked you if he could search your vehicle, would you let him?

Good question. Don't know. Never been asked. I guess I would, but it would depend greatly on where I am, his stated reason, am I alone, etc. But generally yeah I guess so.

If a cop asked you personal information would you feel obliged to answer him?

I'd tell him I just took a really cold shower.

Do you believe that a police officer has the "right" to question you about a matter simply because he's a cop?

To some degree, yeah I do. If someone thought I was a thief breaking into my home, and a cop showed up wanting proof, yeah I'd give him what he wanted. But I guess if he wants something more than drivers license, or a monthly bill or something I might very start to get irritated. I would imagine a great deal would depend on how long he viewed me as a potential thief and treated me belligerently. Kind of an open ended question.

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

Usually, I am very cooperative with the police. I talk them up until they forget their procedures. I have avoided numerous tickets and even arrest a couple of times. I have gotten away with speeding, driving on a suspended/no license, switched plates, no insurance, criminal mischief, and a bunch of other things. I used to put any contraband in luggage and lock it in the trunk. They can (and have) search my car all they want. But my luggage is too personal to let anyone to look at. That takes a warrent. In which case they have to show that there is probable cause that there is something in that bag.

When the cop is a prick, things change. When driving truck, I once got pulled into a Maryland Department of Transportation inspection station. The cop (a kid) made the comment that I don't work much while looking at my log book (probably implying that I had falsified my log book, but I'm not sure). "So?" I replied in a rather annoyed tone of voice. Truth was I didn't work as many hours as most drivers out there. The young cop repeated his observation. This time I yelled at him, "So what is your point!?" His seargent came flying over and sent the rookie back to the office. He appologized and let me go.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

Sweet! That's cool Mad Dawg.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit