If A Police Officer "Asked" You To Do Something Would You Necessarily Do It?

by minimus 43 Replies latest jw friends

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Beyond showing your driver's liscense and registration, the answer is NO to all three questions.

• MarkSutter
    MarkSutter

you want to strip search me?

of course officer right away

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Most cops are good cops; some cops are dangerously in love with their authority and DO think you must do anything they ask.

Since I am not a minority I might consider decliing their request if it is unreasonable and I have legal footing and a camera rolling.

If I was minority, I would probably yes sir and no sir just to avoid being shot.

P

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Cops don't ask to search cars--just because. There has to be just cause. If there is no just cause and no reason, there is no arrest and in the end, if they try to use any evidence, it gets thrown out.

No, not quite. There has to be probable cause for a non consensual search. If you give the cop permission to search, then nothing gets thrown out, as you've given him the legal right to search. The 4th amendment protects against unreasonable searches. A consensual search is not unreasonable under any definition.

Interestingly, this all gets thrown out at border checkpoints, where national security dictates that any car crossing can be searched for any reason, legitimate or not.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

How many will admit to being more cooperative with Customs Agents and TSA personnel than with cops?

Will you take off your shoes? Will you disclose whether or not you packed your own bag? Will you describe the purpose of your travel?

Do you allow security personnel at sporting events to inspect or feel your bags?

Do you allow the elderly employees at Wal-Mart to inspect your receipt on the way out?

• caliber
    caliber

1st Officer: "Guess who I pulled over in a traffic stop the other day?"
    2nd Officer: "Who?"
    1st Officer: "Janet Jackson!"
    2nd Officer: "What she do, was she speeding?"
    1st Officer: "Nah, she had one headlight out."

Serious answer..... reasonable questions should be answered

• John Doe
    John Doe

It's interesting psychology that cops use. There is debate about whether they should have to notify people that their consent to search is voluntary, sort of like a Miranda warning.

I've been stopped, and I'm sure you've all heard the questions "Where you going? What are you doing? Have you had anything to drink? You don't have any dope, drugs, bodies, or weapons in the car do you?"

Those questions tend to put people in a cooperative mood. Once those questions are asked and answered, all the cop has to do is say "You don't mind if I take a look do you?" as he stands there with a flash light shining in your face and you can't see him. 9 times out of 10 the person's immediate response to a question phrased this way is "No I don't mind, help yourself."

We're wired to respond submissively to authority. Should people be notified that they don't have to consent to a search? And for what it's worth, not consenting to a search is not probable cause to suspect criminal activity. If it were, then the 4th amendment would effectively mean nothing, because you would not be able to exercise it.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Driving back from Mexico in 2002 the customs officer at the US border directed me to an inspection spot where I was asked to empty my car. So, I complied. They searched it but found nothing out of the ordinary. Before too long I was on my way again. I rarely have contact with officers of the government, and I like to keep it that way.

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

No I wouldn't. I'd get out and lock the door, then shut it. That'll make the cop have to get a search warrent.

Don't ever say yes to a cop, cuz you never know what he/she might do and chances of dealing with a corrupt cop is 50/50.

Yiz

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

> If a cop asked you if he could search your vehicle, would you let him?
    No

> If a cop asked you personal information would you feel obliged to answer him?
    No

> Do you believe that a police officer has the "right" to question you about a matter simply because he's a cop?
    If I have material information in an investigation, he has every right to ask me. I, on the other had, have the right to remain silent.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit