SHOULD JWS PLAY FOOTBALL?

by badboy 17 Replies latest jw friends

• badboy
    badboy

I UNDERSTAND THAT IT ORIGINATED AS AN AZTEC WAR GAME,THEREFORE SHOULD JWS PLAY FOOTBALL?

• asilentone
    asilentone

Yes, they should!!!!! It is good for the body!!!!! As most of us are aware that playing organized sports are strongly discouraged by the Watchtower.

• fluke
    fluke

to live life without learning war I think that Jay-dubs should stay away from all things with agressive intent...

So some of them shouldn't drive either... :O

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Can Jews play football?

After all, it's handling pig skin.

• crapola
    crapola

I don't see why not.

• dinah
    dinah

I always thought the no organized sports rule was stupid. Of course now I see it was more about controlling who you spent time with than anything else.

But, all the dub guys I knew growing up woulda gotten slaughtered on the football field.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

It depends on the current WT thinking on 'competitive sports'...or maybe considering football (I'm assuming you're referring to soccer here Badboy...us being Brits an all, lol) as a future career (I'm thinking David Beckham here, lol). I don't think anything more than schoolboy soccer would be encouraged.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

I UNDERSTAND THAT IT ORIGINATED AS AN AZTEC WAR GAME

Actually, I wasn't aware of that - but didn't the WT object to chess on similar 'thinking'?

• blondie
    blondie

*** g80 12/22 p. 22 New Year’s Day—How New? ***

Ritual

Combat

Of course, the ancient Babylonians did not have a football game on New Year’s Day. But for their celebration, all the gods of the towns surrounding Babylon were brought into the city and joined in an impressive parade, to help Marduk win his battle with Tiamat. The great battle itself was relived through a public reading of the Enumaelish, the creation epic that told the story.

Today in Pasadena, California, a great parade precedes the annual New Year’s Rose Bowl football game. Is the game a modern version of that ancient ritual battle? The EncyclopædiaBritannica puts it this way: "Football games in the U.S. have all the external trappings of religious festivals . . . one side representing evil and the other good, depending upon the viewpoint of the members of the audience. Leading the congregation are the priestesses (cheerleaders) . . . Operating on the principle of sympathetic magic, the priestesses attempt to transfer the enthusiasm of the crowd to the appropriate combatants."—Macropædia, 1976, Vol. 7, p. 202.

Whether it descended from an ancient ritual or not, it has taken on a religious significance for some fans.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

JW's should be oppressed as much as possible.

They should not play football, they shouldn't even be allowed to watch football.
    They should be forced to go save everyone by converting them with the magazines, making sure to collect donations to make WTS bigger and richer.

Making room for recreation such as sports, or deciding these things for themselves will allow too many of them to think that the religion is good.
    Totally dominating their lives and insisting on their living for Jehovah and selling magazines makes JW's hate the religion. That's what they need. Keeping kids from sports will contribute greatly to their hating WTS. That's a good thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit