Are Most Scientists Atheists?

by passwordprotected 57 Replies latest jw friends

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Rebel8 - you put forward what is, in essence, a blind guess. I'm stating that you should be allowed to have your blind guesses and that those blind guesses should be allowed to shape your world view. As for the idea of opinion police, Dawkins preaches that parents should not be allowed to teach their children about God. If his wish is granted, then opinion police would need to exist to make sure people aren't allowed to have their own opinions.

Am I being sassy? No, I asked whether we should completely disregard your opinion just because you can't offer a dossier of lab results to back it up. That would, of course, be absolutely ridiculous.

• rebel8
    rebel8
    Which, although I suspect (and rather hope) that this may be true, how would this be testable?
    How are you supposed to find out if people ACTUALLY believe in god?

Until you figure that out, arguing about it seems a cul-de-sac

I have figured it out. I've conducted social norm research myself in fact. It is certainly possible to design questions that, along with the appropriate research design, tease out true beliefs.

I'm not arguing about anything. I don't know where you got the idea I am "arguing".

• rebel8
    rebel8

pp--I am not a disciple of any man, including Dawkins, so don't go worrying I'm hiring a force of opinion police.

Opinions shape a world view, yes, but we are talking about a very specific question to which there is a right or wrong answer. I try to keep my assumptions separated in my brain from beliefs based upon established facts.

I don't understand how the debate between opinions and facts, and Dawkins' opinions on childrearing, fit with the topic at hand.

Topic: Are Most Scientists Atheists?
    • We do know that education is negatively correlated with deism.
    • Study design and questions may have influenced the rates of deism among groups with various levels of educational achievement, but we can't be sure because we haven't seen the study design and questions. (This is a premise based upon a professional critique I read regarding these studies, from a person who did see the study design and questions.)
    • Participants in this thread don't really know if "most scientists are atheists" because no one has looked it up or found a body of evidence regarding the matter.
    • Toe cleavage is not allowed by the wts. Thanks.
  • besty
    besty

The entire premise is flawed.

Whether scientists are atheists or theists or deists is irrelevant.

A scientist is no more qualified to comment on the existence of God than a dustman.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

The entire premise is flawed.

But is the question flawed?

• besty
    besty

The question is fine. However as the premise is flawed the question is, at best, interesting - like Madonna's views on the economy of Chad.

Interesting, but not authoritative.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Interesting, but not authoritative.

But the view consistently offered by those with higher IQs than mine is that as you become better educated the more likely you are to be an atheist. I'm sure this hypothesis (or as I lovingly call them "blind guesses") is presented in printed publications written by scientists as hard fact.

Whether or not a scientist has any qualifications to comment on the existence of God throws open a whole new realm of discussion and debate. One prominent scientist in the UK has vehemently stated that God is a delusion and that children shouldn't be taught about God. He has also stated that scientists are mostly atheists and that those who say they aren't are likely to be lying.

So, by this standard - namely scientists aren't qualified to comment on God's existence - his words should carry neither weight nor validity.

Also, the fact that this survey was carried out in the early 1900s and then repeated in the 1990s shows that at least someone considered the premise to be worth looking into. Maybe the nature of the survey was flawed, maybe not, but that doesn't invalidate the survey having taken place, nor does it invalidate the results of the survey.

You see, if science has in fact proven beyond a doubt that there is no God, yet 40% of the men and women in the white lab coats who were polled for this survey are willing to state that they believe in God (remember, not a god, but God who answers prayers), then it would appear we're dealing with some sort of dichotomy among the Bunsen burners.

Also, claiming (as someone did earlier in the thread) that any scientist who believes the earth is 6000 years old isn't worth his/her salt as a scientist is a straw man argument.

• besty
    besty
    But the view consistently offered by those with higher IQs than mine is that as you become better educated the more likely you are to be an atheist. I'm sure this hypothesis (or as I lovingly call them "blind guesses") is presented in printed publications written by scientists as hard fact.

Brain efficiency (IQ) and religiosity are strongly correlated.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6W4M-4TFV93D-1&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=db2ee09bae0195cc1ecbd026da77245c

If you want the media version of the science:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2111174/Intelligent-people-less-likely-to-believe-in-God.html

If atheist or theist try to appeal to authority to support their view then I would beware. When it comes to beliefs the dustman and the scientist are on the same playing field. Just as I disregard TV Weathermen on the subject of climate change, I disregard scientists on the subject of God.

I can decide for myself whether there is a magick man in the sky who made everything then went quiet on us.

And that is probably related to my IQ.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Did Einstein buck the trend?

• smiddy
    smiddy

frankiespeakin

JW`s do not beleive that God created earth / universe 6000 yrs ago.Their official rendering is that "in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth,could have happened millions of years ago,Gen 1:1 The 2nd verse of genesis then applies to Gods turning his attention to preparing earth for the various life forms

smiddy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit