What type of person makes a good JW?

by Sour Grapes 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

I know many hundreds of JW's and there are several common

threads that tie them together.

1. They were born into the Truth and got married, had

children and now have deep JW family ties.

2. People who are so gullible that they believe everything

they hear without checking the facts.

3. People who are depressed and will do anything to

have a hope for the future.

4. People who have emotional and mental issues.

5. People who can not make a decision.

6. People who have no education or authority at

their place of emploment, but have power at the

Kingdom Hall by being an elder or MS.

7. People who like the idea of never having to die.

8. People who have lost children or a spouse in death

and want to see them again alive on earth.

9. People with physical infirmities who want to be able

to walk again or see again.

Did I miss any one?

Sour Grapes

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

That covers it pretty well. #3 applies to my mother's family. And #6 I think applies to a certain extent to my dad. He seemed to fall for the attention and power that he received from the JWs.

• caliber
    caliber

I am very impressed by your list, it touches on many otherwise not totally obvious psychological thinking patterns .

• caliber
    caliber

Here's one... if you are unorganized or poor in social settings , it lays out an itinerary for you for the whole year ...no

planning or skill is required on your part for meeting people ! So simply put .....those lacking highly developed

social and organizing skills .

• mouthy
    mouthy

People who are depressed and will do anything to

have a hope for the future.

Well that was MY excuse

• happpyexjw
    happpyexjw

I don't think all of these apply to everyone, but there are definitely some points to ponder here.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Adult Children who need a Mommy to tell them what to do..

.....................LOL!!...OUTLAW

• journey-on
    journey-on

As anyone who has worked in a prison system knows, some chronic offenders become "institutionalized". This means they have difficulty functioning in society because their continuous stints of incarceration acclimate them to a particular routine. Their time is totally scheduled: when to eat, when to exercise, when to sleep, when to work, etc. They become accustomed to having certain days and particular times to do everything. They exist with individuals just like them, all doing exactly what they are told to do at exactly the same time, so they get very comfortable with this life and feel like a fish out of water when released, so they re-offend in order to return to their comfort zone.

I think people that make good JWs are like the above. They have a propensity to need extreme structure in their lives and feel comfortable when someone they perceive as an "authority" stands over them and watches their behavior, rewarding them for good behavior and punishing them for bad.

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

I apologize in advance if it seems like I'm picking on you. I just think this list is stretching it. While I think some of the points on your list are valid, I think that others do not necessarily have the cause/effect relationship you're assuming. People may develop mental/emotional issues or trouble with decision making after joining the b0rg. If they're born in there's no way to tell.

Being born in is not a common tie for being a good JW because more kids leave than stay. Yes some stay and they do have that in common, but is it really an indicator of anything? All it tells me is that if you're inclined to stay, you're inclined to be a JW, not that a born-in is inclined to stay.

The gullible comment is just ad hominem. Many people are ignorant of proper fact-checking techniques. They believe they are being thorough when studying with the Witnesses, but they are unaware of cult indoctrination techniques.

As for people who like the idea of paradise, well that's obviously the whole point of being a JW. I mean, you could write a list of common threads that tie people together who go to college and the desire to get a degree will be a prominent one.

I'm not really sure what the purpose of this list is. All those aspects can definitely apply randomly to various JWs, but there are few people who are going to share every point on the list. It seems to me, to be an attempt to belittle the people who become JWs which I do not appreciate. There are a lot of intelligent people on this board who chose to be JWs at one point in their lives and there are a lot of intelligent people in the b0rg now who will hopefully realize they've been had and have the opportunity to access more information about it in the future.

• Farkel
    Farkel

:What type of person makes a good JW?

A person who is loyal to the WTS to the point of insanity.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit