What I deal with working in a jail

by jaguarbass 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

too bad you can't just conduct Bible studies with the lot, or maybe you CAN, somehow

pump in some soft Kingdom Melodies, something ought to be available to help even them to love

• oompa
    oompa

please stop feeling your life is miserable!!!!.....geeze you are at risk......but you are helping the rest of us be at less risk!!!!

i think you used the term miserable more than once??.........what else is causing this??.......take care man........oompa

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

"I cant enter his room and search unless he allows me to."

That's ridiculous and rather sucky.

You've probably got enough stories to write a book. Memoirs are big right now - you could get the hell out of that place.

Be careful out there.

• deeskis1
    deeskis1

WTF - you can't search a cell unless the inmate gives permission?? who's in charge here!

I'd be feeling a bit snowed under with work conditions like that. How's the music scene going for you? gotta have something that takes you away from all of that :)

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

I think he needs to play them some lullabies, to put them to sleep!

• Quandry
    Quandry

These guys do need something to do that is worthwhile. I don't see why the state doesn't have a program to educate the ones that "have a chance" at becoming more productive citizens. Maybe telivision lessons. Inmates could earn points for passing courses, perhaps.

Have they tried anything like this before?

Also, growing vegetables or taking care of farm animals. In other words, WORK!

Of course, in the inner city, I guess that might be hard. But the point is, just housing young people does nothing but make them more frustrated and hardened. Then, of course, society is in even more trouble when they do get out.

Don't go in a cell alone, or even with one other person. There should always be back-up, and a communication with other guards that you may need them, and to "stand-by."

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

doing a 12 step program might help them accept responsibility. Of course, love and respect are key.

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

also, it is interesting that, apparently, the nation of Israel did NOT use jails like the nations around. I think there is a lesson for us in this.

• Heaven
    Heaven

jaguarbass... PLEASE be careful! You have some real dangers in your job. I doubt there are many of us on JWN here that have the risks you face. About the only danger I face is a remote possibility of electrocution.

Sounds like you guys need some upgrades and some possible process re-engineering. Has anyone looked into what would be needed, prioritizing the list, and then looking at how to accomplish this?

You TOTALLY should be getting cost of living increases!

I am glad you like your job and you provide a much needed and valued service... but... I do think you could do something else if you really wanted. Have you checked out any other professions? You mentioned teaching. As a professional, you may be able to teach something relatively easily and quickly. Look at your skills and see if there are any possibilities in leveraging these.

I do agree that these inmates need work, education, and some help such as counseling. Just locking them up isn't going to accomplish any change. It will just continue the cycle. Does your State offer anything for these guys?

You have an incredibly challenging job. I admire your courage, intelligence, and perserverence.

• inkling
    inkling
    also, it is interesting that, apparently, the nation of Israel did NOT use jails like the nations around. I think there is a lesson for us in this.

Uh.... ya, the lesson is that stoning people for the majority of crimes is really cost effective!
    Seriously, are you suggesting that the nation of Israel had an ADMIRABLE justice system?

(also, the "cities of refuge" were, for all practical purposes, jails. Walled city, which you get
    killed when you try and leave. Jail. Also, random life sentences for involuntary manslaughter?? WTF?)

[inkling] <--- is sorry for the thread highjack =)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit