What I deal with working in a jail

by jaguarbass 20 Replies latest jw friends

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Five Hillsborough inmates charged in escape plot

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/local/story/Five-Hillsborough-inmates-charged-in-escape-plot/OAcUJsm6fUSnKR6LeUqi_A.cspx

Slideshow Eric Munoz Related Links HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, FL -- Deputies uncovered a plot by five inmates to murder a Hillsborough detention deputy and escape from jail.

On March 15, a juvenile housing unit at the Orient Road Jail was locked down after the possible plot was uncovered. The Hillsborough County Jail Tactical Apprehension and Control Team conducted a search for evidence.

The plot was uncovered while deputies were investigating what they called "weird behavior" by the group. They say the inmates were flooding their toilets and vandalizing their cells to lure the deputy into the cell.

The Sheriff's Office says they planned to cut the throat of a deputy take his keys to unlock a door at the recreation yard. They say Ronald Ball, 17, had come up with the plan and recruited others to participate.

Ball accessed disposable razors and removed blades, which he and the other suspects used to make homemade knives, commonly referred to as "shanks" in jail. Small pieces of wire were also collected, which could be used to pick the locks in the pod.

Ronald Ball and Esteban Rivera, 17, recruited 16-year-old Luis Juarez to kill the deputy. When Juarez killed the deputy the suspects planned to take the keys and escape through the recreation yard evacuation door at the jail.

Devon Serrano and Eric Munoz, both 17, were also involved in the murder-escape plot.

All five have been charged with Conspiracy to Commit Murder First Degree of Law Enforcement and Conspiracy to Escape from Confinement in addition to their previous charges.

Rivera, Munoz and Juarez are currently in the Hillsborough County jail under lockdown. Ball and Serrano are in the custody of the Florida Department of Corrections and will be brought back to Hillsborough County to face new charges.

Copyright 2009 The E.W. Scripps Co. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Time to find a new job JB.. ..........OUTLAW

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

This is a terrible thing what they were planning.

My heart always feels pain when I hear about kids that are this messed up.

I could never work at a place where I felt my life was in jeopardy.

We think cops got it bad.

purps

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Wow.

Please take care of yourself.

Be cautious as a serpent.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Holy violins, Bass-man!

Were you the one they were planning to do in?

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I wasnt involved in this deal.

But a 4 years ago on my day off they flooded their cell and when my partner responeded

they shoved him in the cell locked him in there and then they beat my other partner up took his

keys and escaped. My second partner never recovered. He didnt die but he couldnt come back to

work. If I wouldnt have been off, I would have been involved.

I've known several coworkers that have gotten beat up and couldnt come back to work.

I have been attacked and have had to escape the cell block without any help

. I called out on the radio 3 times and nobody hears.

There's 3000 inmates and 300 officers, if people are talking on the radio and your in trouble

your call doesnt go over the radio. Your on your own, thats why I go to the gym 5 days a week.

Then several times a night the radio batteries die.

Chances are very good if there is problem the radio wont work.

The first hour on the job I had to take a shank away from an inmate who came out of the cell

swinging it. They used to be able to smoke in jail, not anymore, but when I started they

would take their tooth brush and take a razor and melt the razor on the tooth brush then they would

have a shank.

They dont need a razor they can take a pencil and stick it in you.

They can get anything they want in jail, if they have enough money.

The county sends trusties to work on the roads for the various cities.

The trusties will bring back whatever the inmates request for a price.

The good deputies are always doing buthole searches and body searches and frisk searches.

But the smart cons know how to con the lazy deputies into not searching them thuroughly.

We've had guns smugled into the jail before, thankfully we have found them.

The amazing thing is inmates have nothing but time, they can make guns, knifes, dice all kinds of things

out of toilet papper. Toilet papper and water.

You have all kinds of people in jail, average people and very smart people.

The smart ones can take the doors off the hinges and come out of their cell, The skinny smart ones

can contort their bodies and squeeze through the bars, and then at 3 in the morning your face

to face with a killer who wants to leave.

We patrol every 10 minutes that leaves them 9 minutes when we dont see them to plan an

ambush they are good at playing possum.

On the other hand its a job, there are not many good jobs around any more.

And it provides a retirement and health insurance.

The worst part is having to work a double shift 16 hours from 11pm to 2 pm and have my wits.

I'm thankful that I have a job. But If I never knew the witnesses I would have gone to college

and been a school teacher worked days and had the summers off.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Bass: "

The amazing thing is inmates have nothing but time, they can make guns, knifes, dice all kinds of things

out of toilet papper. Toilet papper and water."

Perhaps you could entertain them with making origami cranes?

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

I think a Bible study would be more needed, something to get them off of their violent thoughts, something to nurture love in them instead of hate. What people play with tells a lot about their emotional state. Getting them to draw pictures and paint would be good, but they may need a shot of love injected into their brain somehow for that to work

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX
    "...I would have gone to college and been a school teacher..."

Isn't this the same thing - just different people?

I'm sorry that you have this to deal with - day-to-day.

I know a fella here locally who owns a company that makes the security devices (like locks and control panels) for prisons. He was telling me one time about how they get some of the stuff back for repairs... or what the technician faces when he goes out onto the 'job-site' (aka the prisons).

It ain't a pretty picture... inmates pi** and poo all over stuff - trying to get it to fail.

... further thinking about your being a school teacher... maybe you are a good candidate for being a school teacher. You certainly sound like you could put down a riot.

Regards,

Jim TX

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Update.

This past week an inmate told me marching back from the chow Hall, "Snow flake, I'm going to take your keys."

I told him if you need them more than I do, Im waiting for you.

He had a bad attitude and jumped out of line during frisk searches back on the mod from the dinning hall.

So I locked him up in the hole. I work with juveniles under 24 years of age.

I asked him to put out his matt, he said, no, he would not give me his matt or allow me to search his room.

He's a 17 year old juvenile.

Hes in detention for battery on law enforcement officers and battery on deteniion officers.

I cant enter his room and search unless he allows me to. Those are my rules. From a certain state

in the deep south.

So I write a report, youth would not give up his matt. Time in confinement does not begin until

youth gives up matt.

And I went home.

The day shift finnally got the youth to give up his matt and consent to a room search.

They found a shank in his room, a sharpened piece of steel.

So the day shift gave him 3 more days in the hole. Solitary confinement.

I'm not complaining, I know I could go work at McDonalds or be a security guard.

for less money.

I'm just writing about my miserable life. I'm kind of flatterd that somebody thinks enough of me to try

to stab me with a shank.

Thats not going to get them out of jail.

He can stab me and take my keys. Hes still deep in the abyss and hes not a snowflake, and he doesnt look

like a detention officer.

He's got a lot of check points hes not going to get through.

Even if he wants to stab me. I dont think I'm going to let him.

Its something I put way in the back of my mind.

This all makes me a better officer. More vigilant.

More committed to searching for contraband.

When I first started in detention.

My first hour on the job, i had to take a shank away from an inmate.

My first week on the job.

They found a gun in the jail.

After all the dust had settled they realized it had been in the jail for a month.

Inmates only get stripped searched if they are booked on a felony or drug charges.

that leaves a lot of other charges that dont get strip searches.

Drunk, disorderly, dui, all kinds of misdemeanors.

The road cops missed the gun on the road and the intake deputies missed the gun at intake.

The inmate was booked in on a missdemeanor and he had a illegal gun which would have made him

a fellon in his possesion.

So he and his fellow inmates played hide the potatoe for a month.

I like my job, but I havent had a raise or cost of living increase in 4 years.

I think the service I provide a certain state is worth a cost of living increase.

To keep the cretins out of your home and off your streets for a time period.

Thats not your problem, I'm just writing about my miserable life and this is the most excting

thing happening right now.

Its 5:30 am and I'm into the Pabst.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit