The Void!

by BloominMarvellous 20 Replies latest jw friends

• BloominMarvellous
    BloominMarvellous

Hi guys

I need a little more advise, I have spoken to a couple of friends about this void i'm currently experiencing after leaving ( being ignored so decided to leave) the JWs.

I feel alone, i'm now longer allowed on the Ministry and Im not having to study for meetings, so I have this massive great hole in my life.

It's the mental agony as well, kind of knowing that friends that you thought would always be there, arent any more. And after two years of indoctrination, I feel that Im displeasing Jehovah or abandoning God.

My head was screwed anyway from ten years of depression and this thing with the JWs has really taken its toll.

If you had any coping mechanisms I would love to know.

Thank you in advance for your support x

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

I have something to say about this, but do not have the time. I will return to this after work...

• willyloman
    willyloman

You will get plenty of good advice here. My two cents is:

Take inventory. Who are you? What do you enjoy doing? What hobbies or skills have you always wanted to develop? Then get on the web, or buy a local newspaper, or go by your local Chamber of Commerce Visitor's Center (or local community college) and start investigating. There are countless clubs and organizations you can join, classes you can take, lectures you can attend, and so on. Open your eyes to the hundreds of things going on all around you every day, things you probably ignored when you were immersed in the busy work of being a JW.

It's a big world, and you will find that the people in it are largely good and kind, unlike what the dubs taught us. Don't be shy about showing up for some of these things - it's a lot less stressful than going out in FS, believe me!

And keep reading the forum. The dubs worked on your head to get you in. You have to feed your head to get yourself out and develop a healthy outlook on life.

Exercise is good, too; join a gym or play a team sport. It will clear up your thinking.

Good luck on your journey!

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    And after two years of indoctrination, I feel that Im displeasing Jehovah or abandoning God.

Please, begin reading 'Combatting Cult Mind Control' immediately. You'll be very glad you did.

You will be helped to separate irrational fears from legitimate fears.

The items you've mentioned above are programmed responses. They are irrational. This book will help you prove this to yourself.

You'll feel a huge weight lifted from your shoulders.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Hi Bloomin.

Exercise and volunteerism.

Try it.

Sylvia

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    And after two years of indoctrination, I feel that Im displeasing Jehovah or abandoning God.

Not trying to be insensitive, but two years is not really a long time to not be able to get past. I don't know how old you are, but it's a rather small chunk of your life. You mentioned that you had battled depression for ten years. Perhaps this is the issue which needs addressing, unless I'm missing something, or I misread your post.

• androb31
    androb31

Here's a great site that may help. Check out AUDIO: OUT OF THE WATCHTOWER INTO WHAT? by David Reed

www.4witness.org

http://www.4jehovah.org/jehovahs-witness-videos.php#outwt

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

I second all the good advice already given. Try meetup.com to find groups and activities in your area to become involved with. Try volunteermatch.org to find volunteer opportunities in your area.

Personally, I started meditating. It's a great way to become more self-aware, to put your finger on your wants and needs and figure out how best to take care of them.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I believe that almost everyone here has had to overcome this "void" so to speak. When I left the JW's about two years ago I experienced the very same "void". At first I consumed my void with being right here on JWN. Gradually it turned productive. I began seeing all my time devoted to working around the house, yard, etc..

My suggestion is to give it time. You might try some reading material as others have recommended.

I hope the very best for you.

Quirky

• lurk3r
    lurk3r

Bloomin - Please take the advice of leavingwt. This void that you have identified is a great step in progression, you have to get out of it asap. If you stay there too long (as i have) it will really take even more of a toll than it has already. Congrats for reaching out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit