Read My Dads Crazy Email Trying to Make me Panic bout Armageddon!!

by foolsparadise 29 Replies latest jw friends

• mouthy
    mouthy

I am so sorry you have to listen to those ravings by your DAD
    I was one of those when I was in bondage that would have written
    something simular.He has given his mind to the Wt,Just as bad as
    drinking the kool-aid.You just have to leave them to their "dream"

I live in the Mountains..In the Wilderness.. Any way I have started packing
    OUTLAW I am on my way to your house

• jabberwock
    jabberwock

My Dad and other Witness friends and relatives do this to me all of the time. I find it embarassing how obvious they are. Do they really think that they are being subtle or discreet? Inevitably, the interesting tidbit they have to share is some recycled piece of speculation or phony insight. I always wonder how they can find these things to be fascinating. Is that really the kind of stuff that blows their mind? This drives me crazy.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

So your dad "bombs" you with this Watchtower propaganda and just finishes off with ......"say hi to the family, love you...."

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

My uncle and another aunt have sent me notes and emails that are somewhat similar. They also do not include any personal stories about what is going on in their lives nor do they inquire about me or my welfare or my family. With my extended family I have found it impossible to have any relationship with them because they seem unable to have any conversations about anything other than their JW life. It's not normal. They don't even seem to have normal curiosity about what my children are doing or what's going on in my life.

Totally brainwashed.

• journey-on
    journey-on

I've been away from this board for awhile absorbed in other things. But, today when I logged on, I came across this post, and felt like responding. I, too, have noticed a panicked tone in my JW family's urgings. But, here is what I think is happening (they may not even realize it).

Some of them are getting close to retirement age, and if they have been in the org for most of their life and have bought into it "hook, line, and sinker", many of them have not prepared for retirement properly and some have never psychologically accepted death's eventuality. They simply don't have a good back-up plan, and either consciously or subconsciously this is weighing heavily on their minds.

Their panic is misplaced. They think "the end must be near....it's got to be near....it HAS to be near!!! Otherwise, I'm screwed!"

I have seen them make poor choices and bad decisions based on the belief that this old system is going to be gone by then anyway. Well, guess what!? You said that same thing 20, 25, 30, 40, years ago and we are still plodding along. Normal people prepare for old age and eventual death. As they age, they begin to accept Life's finality and settle comfortably into that stage of Life.

JW's, otoh, live in constant FEAR and most simply FAIL to prepare financially, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually for this normal stage of life. I feel sorry for them. They allowed themselves to be lead by false prophets, and now they're reaping the consequences living in a state of fear and panic continuously.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I think your right journey-on.I was 25 yrs in it.never had insurance
    because I wasnt going to die...So after my hubby died, no money,no ins:
    no paradise???? I was a bit panicky also. But then thankfully they kicked me out
    of their paradise,into the world (PTL.)So i have ins: now! Not only to leave the kids
    when I kick the bucket .But INSURANCE that I AM GOING to DIE!!!!!!
    Contrary to the WT teachings......

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life
    JW's, otoh, live in constant FEAR and most simply FAIL to prepare financially, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually for this normal stage of life. I feel sorry for them. They allowed themselves to be lead by false prophets, and now they're reaping the consequences living in a state of fear and panic continuously.

journey-on:

Great post. This is very true of eveyone in my extended family. The uncle that I've spoken of is 75. He has only been a JW for 15 years but he is rabid. The auntl that I mentioned is 79. She has been a JW for 56 years. She still works at Wal-Mart because she does not have enough assets or income to retire. Even my father, who died 31 years ago at the age of 50 had not prepared for the possiblity of death or even a good retirement if he had lived. He truly believed that he was not going to die. My mother, who died a little over a year ago, never seemed to accept Life's finality and settle into acceptance of her terminal illness. She had not been a JW for many years but she never accepted any other religion or formed any other beliefs after her years as a JW. She never really moved on spiritually.

Another aunt who is 86 is rapidly running out of assets. Also a JW for 56 years. She totally believed that Armageddon would come in her lifetime. Now she suffers from dementia and has to have someone caring for her 24 hours a day. The uncle that I mentioned above and his wife are her primary caretakers which is a burden on them emotionally, mentally and financially. My uncle still works doing carpentry and various handy-man jobs in order to keep income flowing for he, his wife, 2 of my aunts and various other JW relatives that freeload off whomever will give them a handout.

Even some cousins that are my age, who were raised as JWs dont' seem to get that they need assets for retirement or sickness. Some of them are not even active JWs anymore but they never moved beyond that mindset.

• Steve_C
    Steve_C

Great insight, journey-on, and I can see myself in your statements. I was a born-in, now out of the JWs for just a few years, and at age 46 I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that, yes, I am going to die. I'm just glad that I still have a number of years before retirement.

I feel bad for the OP's parents and the other older ones mentioned. Some very sad stories.

• lrkr
    lrkr

He sounds a lot like my dad- loving, sincere and thoroughly deceived. Its sad.

• Incognito
    Incognito

Witnesses keep looking for any 'sign', no matter how small, that Harmageddon is only 'minutes' away. The keep putting faith in any anyone with ties to the society, that somehow, these people have some insider knowledge about the date of Armageddon.

My Inlaws had a visitor to their congregation, probably a year ago. I don't recall who he was but they said that 'he was very well versed in the bible and he was able to fiqure-out when the end would be. He said that it wouldn't be too much longer'. I've heard similar statements from others.

Many Witnesses don't seem to hold to long established teachings of the organization they hold so dear, but look for loopholes when it comes to the salvation of their own loved ones. For example, it has been a long established understanding that unless you are regular in meeting attendance, are baptised and a regular preacher of the good news, you basically have little hope of making it through armegeddon.

A 'friend' from within our cong now holds that due to the pressures of 'this system of things', all that is necessary to be recognized as a JW is attendance at the Memorial once per year. It turns out, his eldest daughter has moved away and 'living in sin' with some guy. Although she wants nothing to do with the 'truth', my 'friend' instructs her to atleast attend the Memorial every year. He also told her that if he or her mom calls her and tells her to go somewhere or do something, to not question it but do it immediately as this will save her at armegeddon. He is referring to passing on the 'flee' instructions that he anticipates receiving from the Society.

The Society seems to have active witnesses wound-up more than ever. Although we haven't been to meetings for close to 10 years, we keep getting told to get back to the hall as the 'ark doors are about to close, and it may be too late if we wait any longer'.

Truely, most Witnesses miss the point of Christianity and the reason to serve God. Just as with the Pharasees that are discussed in the bible, there is much focus on legalism, loopholes, what is said between the lines and ultimately, unquestioning allegiance to an man-made organization. There has been far too much emphasis placed on saving their necks, not on love of God and mankind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit