What religion do X-JWs belong to now?

by jonathan dough 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Rosey
    Rosey

I think religion is the same as politics in that way.........Some political parties make sense to some people and not to others and vice versa.......That's why you get to vote for whichever party you want and it's a private decision which you are not obliged to share with anyone else.

Religions are the same........that's why they exist............lots of them have a lot of good ideals but all of them have something in them that doesn't make sense to at least one person in the world.......................that's why we have freedom of religion............I mean in a "worldly sense" haha.

Anyway I haven't joined another religion as I don't feel the need to..............however my husband is Catholic and I have no problem with my daughter being brought up Catholic as long as we teach her that it is not the only option and she will be free to make her own decision when she is older and understands it all.

With regards to beliefs I'm probably agnostic.............again I don't feel a need to define myself too much. There are so many things I will have to tell my daughter I don't know the older she gets............higher french.....how to fix a car.............at least those things I can learn and know as facts.......I could research and learn as much as I can about religion and or god and still never have a definite answer and that's something I will be honest with my daughter about.

Either way I don't feel the need to be part of a religion.

Rose x

• carla
    carla

There are many people who have been spiritually abused who cannot go into a church that does not mean they lack a relationship with Christ. Jw's and ex jw's will bring up the 'gathering together' script but as you can see it does not need to be in an organized church or building. Even discussing with a friend or two is 'gathering together'.

Matt 18:20 KJVFor where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

• Black Sheep
  • Psychotic Parrot
  • Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    I get the feeling many x-jws are floating about aimlessly and don't join Christendom, still living with the JW indoctrinated belief that they are all the work of the Devil.

Yes. That was me. Absolutely. 100%

It is a terrible state to be in. I was like that for about thirty years. JWs, Christians and Athiest all thought I was a nutcase. They were correct.

Now that I believe that all religious writings are man's thoughts about God, those writings make much more sense and I have been delivered into sanity.

Praise the lard.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I get the feeling the jw cult tends to be populated by a majority of women.

The bible is misogynistic.

The wt teachings and practices are moreso.

Therefore when many of them leave, they are entirely disgusted with religion--not just one church--and they leave it altogether.

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

Well, this has been a real eye-opener. Let me rephrase my original questions. Are most of you claiming that Christendom (Catholics, Protestants, Orthodox) is/are false religions? Do you now reject the notion that the Bible is the word of God? Do you still abide by its principles? The kingdom is larger than 2 or 3 people huddled around the coffee table. How can someone go from being a JW to being an atheist? Of course I agree, I think, for now, that membership in a particular "organization" is not required, but I could be wrong. But is Christendom false per se?

JD II

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

JD II,

With the exception of cult members, the self-described Christians that I've personally spoken to believe that Christ's brothers are members of thousands of different denominations. Further, they mostly reject the notion that there are "true" faiths and "false" faiths.

However, many Fundamentalists (that do not fit the description of cult members) are, in fact, highly critical of certain denominations.

May I suggest a book?

The Myth of Certainty by Daniel Taylor. It's a short, but excellent read.

-LWT

• donuthole
    donuthole

Many of Jesus' parables, including that of the mustard seed growing into a great tree, involve the growth not only of the true sons of the Kingdom, but also the children of the evil one. It is like the wheat and the weeds or the net of good fish and bad fish. In the case of the mustard seed illustration the Kingdom becomes so large that the birds of the air, the evil spirits powers, are able to hide in the branches while it provides covering for the beasts of the earth, the fleshly powers of man.

• wobble
    wobble

I have found that a lot of people leave the WBT$ but still hold on to a lot of the baggage,for instance that there must be an organization on earth that "true" christians must associate with........ WHY?

That the "end times are upon us" as you glibly state JD,as though we all agree with you, again WHY? or where is your proof, and end times of what etc. etc.

Break free of all WT think and start again from nothing.

Start with "Is there a God?" perhaps, and build from there, with no pre-conceived notions.

Love

Wobble

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit