1928 The Messenger PDF

by cabasilas 44 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

Is that image on page three Beth Sarem?

Yiz

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Thanks for posting that. What do you ladies think of the photos with all the women wearing hats? That really "jumped out" at me.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Yizuman,

Yes. That is Beth Sarim.

Farkel

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The reception lobby and the parlor photographs on p. 3 are of the Bethel Home at 124 Columbia Heights. The lobby is described in the article on p. 3 and the parlor is described on p. 5, which places it on the service floor (the floor immediately beneath the lobby).

Beth Sarim was not built until the fall of 1929, with Rutherford moving in on 13 January 1930.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Ah I just spotted Bonnie again.

She's sitting at the Judge's table, with Rutherford at the end. Between her and Rutherford is a man who looks like the other secretary in the photo I posted earlier. In the foreground, we have sitting at the end of the table William Van Amburgh and next to him is his wife Luie T. Van Amburgh.

I see there is a photo of Donald Haslett on p. 7 and he doesn't seem to match (looking at his hairline, ears, and eyes). The man in the photo looks a little bit like Robert J. Martin, who wore glasses, although because of the quality of the photo I'm sure if this man is wearing glasses as well. What was Martin's job at Bethel...did he do secretarial work as well? I notice that Bonnie, Donald, and Robert together were the three witnesses alongside Rutherford in the Beth Sarim deed.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Surely the writing staff would not be so brazen as to put in print the pic of the second President and his cadillac, Would they???

Bluesbrother,

I can't figure out how to do it right now, but I once checked out the old front entrance of the 124 Columbia Heights building (the entrance to the building built in 1927) and it looked like that was what was behind the person in that picture in Awake!

Go to 122 Columbia Heights, Brooklyn, NY in Google Maps Street View and turn towards the front entrance (it's now closed, but used to be the main entrance before the 1949 addition was added under Knorr's administration). To me, it looked like that was what was behind the Judge in that picture. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's a fit.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

What was Martin's job at Bethel

I believe he became the Factory Servant, in charge of all the operations at the Factory. Just found this:

From God's Kingdom of A Thousand Years Has Approached, p. 244:

Take, for instance, the case of Robert J. Martin. He was one of those eight consecrated Christian men, including the Society’s president J. F. Rutherford, who suffered about nine months of unjust imprisonment in the federal penitentiary in Atlanta, Georgia, from July 5, 1918, to March 25, 1919. When this “slave” was set free on bail in Brooklyn, New York, on Wednesday, March 26, 1919, he had practically nothing as far as “talents” from his heavenly Lord was concerned. World War I with its persecution of the Lord’s “slaves” was now in the past for more than four months, and R. J. Martin had to begin practically anew. He was still in faithful union with the Lord Jesus, and he was glad to accept “talents” with which to ‘do business’ for his heavenly Lord, in order to enlarge the field that would prove fruitful in producing disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ. In the year following his release from imprisonment he was made the factory manager of the printing plant newly established in Brooklyn for the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society. On November 1, 1926, he was made one of the directors of this Society, which post he held to his earthly end.

• Farkel
    Farkel

leolaia,

:The reception lobby and the parlor photographs on p. 3 are of the Bethel Home at 124 Columbia Heights. The lobby is described in the article on p. 3 and the parlor is described on p. 5, which places it on the service floor (the floor immediately beneath the lobby).

:Beth Sarim was not built until the fall of 1929, with Rutherford moving in on 13 January 1930.

Sorry. I didn't look at the 1928 PDF. I made my comment from Lady Lee's post on the first page of this thread where there was a picture of Beth Sarim and Da Judge by his Cadillac . Her caption said, "The image on page 3." It didn't even register in this tiny piece of gray matter that the messenger was the 1928 one, not the 1931 one.

I suspect that picture posted by Lady Lee was also what Yizuman was asking about, though.

Farkel

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Oh I see the confusion, the photo of Rutherford getting into his caddy is on p. 2 of the Messenger but p. 3 of the PDF; I thought Yizuman's question pertained to the photo of rooms on p. 3 of the Messenger which could be construed as rooms of Beth Sarim. I'm not sure which photo he was inquiring about now.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

I think I figured out how to get a link of the old entrance to the 124 Columbia Heights building. Hope this works:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=122+Columbia+Heights+Brooklyn+New+York&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=34.259599,79.013672&ie=UTF8&ll=40.700455,-73.995795&spn=0.008004,0.01929&t=h&z=16&iwloc=A&layer=c&cbll=40.699464,-73.995783&panoid=LOwI9GQyy7JjNK59niDRNw&cbp=12,292.64,,0,-3.71

Again, I could be wrong, but I think the building facade behind the guy in that Awake! picture matches this. If so, that makes it quite likely then that it's J.F. Rutherford.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit