Great find!

This is the first known photo of her!

Does it mention her name in the text?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

leolaia

AWESOME

Blues

If you look carefully under the car you see two feet and . . . a cane. The hat is similar to ones I have seen on Rutherford in other pictures. He is aleways seen wearing a bow tie while all his buddies are wearing regular ties. My bet it would be Rutherford behind the car.

As for whether they would publish the picture of Rutherford with his caddie - why not? Rutherford was openly advertizing Beth Sarim as the House of Princes and had no problem being interviewed by the media about his stupid idea. They certainly weren't hiding it.

• Farkel
    Farkel

:This is the first known photo of her!

There are several others: one with a glass of beer in her hand at a Bethel Christmas party, and another walking by Rutherford.

Farkel

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

This is great stuff! Bookmarked! Thanks to you all.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Farkel

Thanks for the info about the cars. I think I read somewhere that he had one on each coast - I suspect the convertible would be in CA so therefore that would be the one at Beth Sarim

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Unfortunately, no. But who else would it be? Bonnie was Rutherford's main secretary at this point and she regularly travelled with him; she was the main person to whom he dictated his articles and books, and the caption of the photo refers to these secretaries as responsible for producing the manuscript of the books sent to the printery. The accompanying article refers to the secretaries as working in an adjoining room to Rutherford's study:

"Let us suppose that an interview has been arranged and a time has been set. The president's quarters are on the top floor reached by an Otis automatic elevator, which requires no operator except the person who wishes to make the ascent....Arrived in the hallway between the president's study and the workroom of his secretaries, he finds a bench where he may sit and cool his heels until such time as the secretary comes out and tells him that he may go in" (The Messenger, 31 July 1928, p. 4).

Moreover, the 1930 census lists JF Rutherford, Bonnie Boyd, and Donald Haslett as residing together at Bethel. Haslett was the secretary who replaced Arthur Goux and I bet that he is the man in the photo with the female secretary who has to be Bonnie.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I think the photo of the woman walking with Rutherford, if it is the one you are thinking of, is probably of Berta, as she looks young and this was shortly before Rutherford died (in 1940 or 1941 or so).

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Is that Rutherford's own picture on the wall? As if to say he's looking over them making sure they work hard.

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

wow, this is so cool.

Now in those days, is the Cadillac considered the second most expensive car next to the lines of the Rolls Royce?

Yiz

• Yizuman
    Yizuman
    Is that Rutherford's own picture on the wall? As if to say he's looking over them making sure they work hard.

Yep it's him. His attitude seems to be akin to Stalin, Hitler & Hussein since their images was practically everywhere. Self ego driven maniac, as it were.

Yiz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit