1928 The Messenger PDF

by cabasilas 44 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Information on how to download the 1928 Messenger in PDF will be given at the bottom of this post.

The Messenger was the name given by the Watchtower Society for an occasional Watchtower publication that reviewed conventions for Bible Students/Jehovah's Witnesses in the 1920s to 1940s. There were issues published for (not a complete list) 1928, 1931, 1938 and a couple other years. (Perhaps someone else could give a complete list for us?) This Messenger covers the convention the Bible Students had that year in Detroit, Michigan. (Later Watchtower publications would consider this convention as fulfilling part of the Bible book of Revelation.)

The 1928 Messenger was actually released in 5 parts and is filled with many pictures. Since the year before had seen the construction of the Watchtower's first factory (117 Adams St.) and a major extension of the Bethel home, these Messengers give pictoral tours of the new faciltities. There's even a picture of Rutherford's suite on the 7th floor of the old 124 building. (I remember seeing this room in the mid 70s and it then belonged to a Bethelite by the name of Stan Ford. It was the only Bethel room complete with a fireplace.)

There's a lot of text to these Messengers that has not appeared elsewhere. A couple stand out for historical researchers. One is the complete text of Rutherford's meeting with the elders. As is well known, at this time Rutherford and congregational elders were not getting along famously. So, here's JFR's comments to them. One of the other items that stands out for me is the "new light" on the Great Pyramid. This was the assembly where JFR first rejected the prophetic signficance of the Great Pyramid. I had read one of Morton Edgar's letters where he referred to Rutherford speaking out against the Great Pyramid at the Detroit convention, but I never knew how he did so. I imagined he presented some sort of lecture then. This Messenger tells how it happened. I'll quote the Messenger article (page 46 of the PDF -- excuse formatting issues, please!):

In unfolding the teachings of the Scripture regarding the place of safety, the Judge, at one point,
    laid down his manuscript and in the most matter of fact way in the world said, in substance, "When the Lord spoke of hiding his people in his secret place he was not talking about any chambers in the pyramid, built by the Devil himself." Now that is just as if a Free Methodist should arise in a prayer meeting and tell his brethren that they are all walking sidewise or backwards or upside down on the Hell question. Your Free Methodist feels that he is an authority on hell. It is one of his specialties, and there are Free Methodists who, if they lost their Hell, would be out of luck altogether. They would have nothing left. And, by the way, some of them have even admitted that very thing. The Bible Students have been free from fear of eternal torture by an infinitely wise and just and loving God for so long that they have and to pinch themselves to realize that they ever believed or tried to believe such nonsense.

But some of them have been strong on the pyramid. "Why," when the speech was over, one of the ex-pilgrims said, with a sickly grin, "I have been giving speeches on the Great Pyramid for thirteen years." It is a safe bet that that pilgrim will now have to get up a new lesson. All over the Fair Grounds knots of Bible Students were discussing the new point. Some were saying, "I wonder what the Judge meant by that"; others, "I can not see what is wrong with the Pyramid"; and others, "I never did see much in the Pyramid anyway, and I believe the Judge has it right."

Their interest stirred, the staff of Tlte Messenger asked for a further word, pending the explanation which is sure to come in the Tower in due time. The Judge smiled and said: "We have been taking it for granted that in two or three passages the Bible had something
    to say about the "Pyramid," but when we come to examine the context closely we find no reason to think God has mentioned it it ail, nor is there any reason to think such a structure was necessary. The Word of God is sufficient, that the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished to every good work.

The idea that the Great Pyramid is in some way identified with the British Government, preserving its inches and other measurements, though even then requiring to be scaled down one-tenth of one percent, is suspicious in itself, for it can not be denied that Britain has been and is the cruelest as well as the strongest power in history, and much more like the Devil than China itself where the Devil is an object of worship.
    When we consider the millions of human beings that must have slaved to erect the Great Pyramid we can see that a God of Love would not have resorted to such means to bring honor to his name." That satisfies us. That will do for now, until the Judge can get time to tell all that
    is in his mind and in the Bible against the idea. But it sure did set the tongues wagging at the Fair Grounds and resulted in another overhauling of the old trunk wherein are kept a few choice relics of what, until recently, we honestly believed the Bible teaches.

So, Rutherford just did an aside from a prepared manuscript lecture denouncing the Pyramid and that was it! No reasoned lecture, no preparation for the surprised conventioneers. You can imagine the shock! Can you imagine a Governing Body member today putting down his prepared speech and saying something like, "When Jesus said he was coming again, I hope you realize he meant he will come visibly, not invisibly," and then continue on with his speech giving no other explanation? Or, what if today's Governing Body member said off the cuff something like, "The laws against eating blood in the Bible have no application to blood transfusions," and then said nothing more?

But, this shows how much Rutherford had managed to take control of the Bible Student movement by 1928. Whatever, he said was so, was so.

As an aside, when I first got to Bethel in the 70s I was told a story by Ciro Aulicino who was the elder who was my table head in the Bethel dining room. It involved a Bethelite who was a keen supporter of the Great Pyramid symbolism who was overcome with shock when JFR "did away with the pyramids." This Bethelite was in stupor for several days and one day walking to the factory for work he carelessly walked in front of a car and was killed. Ciro didn't think it was suicide. This brother, apparently, was so shook up by the sudden change he just wasn't watching what he was doing.

Those interested in reading the Messenger PDF for 1928 can download it from this filesharing site:

http://www.filesend.net/download.php?f=96360cdbe5615621d6a3e7dcb404ad83

It's about 36 MB and about 40 pages of text. The pages are tabloid size, so all pages are split in half (top and bottom), so there's about 80 pages in the PDF. The file is also indexed and searchable.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

I just came across this description of the Bethel infirmiary in 1928. Board members who are ex-Bethelites may be glad they never reported sick back in that era! It's from page 10 of the PDF:

"On this floor also is the Bethel's empty
    hospital, one ward for the men and one for
    the women. The Bethel family keep well
    because their food is wisely chosen. NeverĀ·
    theless, every room is visited the first thing
    in the morning to see if everybody is up. If
    not, the case is reported at once to the house
    manager. The regular house treatment of
    the sick is the common sense one of an
    enema, complete rest from food, and plenty
    of lemon juice and fresh air. In an entire
    season practically all cases have responded
    to this treatment in one day; but if results do
    not come, a physician is summoned.
    This
    floor contains two study rooms for the famĀ·
    ily; no conversation is permitted in these
    rooms. Every room in the house is a study
    room, because the home is one for the study
    of God's Word."

They say "an apple a day keeps the doctor away." In this case, the 1928 Bethel treatment was "an enema and no food will cure you in one day!"

That's a surefire way to ensure no slackers feign sickness!

Former Bethelites will get a kick out of the pictures of Bethel from 1928. There's a humorous picture of two Bethel brothers waking up on page 12 of the PDF.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Cabasilas:

Thank you for this great find! Your hard work is very much appreciated.

Or, what if today's Governing Body member said off the cuff something like, "The laws against eating blood in the Bible have no application to blood transfusions," and then said nothing more?

Now that would be a real shocker, wouldn't it?

Thanks again!----Keep em coming!

Cheers! Atlantis!

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

You're welcome, Atlantis!

I notice on page 75 of the PDF that they still believe that "the harvest work began in 1874."

On page 3 of the PDF there's a picture of Rutherford getting into his car in NY to go to the convention in Detroit. Anyone know what kind of car that is? Is it a Caddy?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

The image on page 3? Yes that is his caddy. I have seen other pictures of it - most often from the other side.

Rutherford outside of Beth Sarim

Rutherford and his Cadillac

Seems he was quite proud of his cars and liked to have his picture taken with them - YES he had TWO of them - absolutely nothing humble about this man

Now either these 2 caddies are teh same one or there were more than 2 because the one in the pdf file is definitely different. The spare tire on the pdf version sits in a wheel well mounted over the tire. The pdf version also has a visor over the window which these two seem to be lacking

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

and I was able to copy the image from the 1928 Messenger

Rutherford with his Cadillac taken from the 1928 Messenger

Looks like the old boy was keeping the Cadillac company busy

• Farkel
    Farkel

Lady Lee,

:Seems he was quite proud of his cars and liked to have his picture taken with them - YES he had TWO of them - absolutely nothing humble about this man

:Now either these 2 caddies are teh same one or there were more than 2 because the one in the pdf file is definitely different. The spare tire on the pdf version sits in a wheel well mounted over the tire. The pdf version also has a visor over the window which these two seem to be lacking

Rutherford had two of them: a sedan and a coupe/convertible. You have shown pictures of both of them. They were no doubt paid for by the Heaths because he got them at about the time Beth Sarim was built. They cost between $9,000 and $16,000 depending upon the options. One could by 15 brand new Fords for the cost of just one of those Caddys. Al Capone only had one. Rutherford had TWO! Rutherford claimed they would be for the use of the "ancient worthies" after they were resurrected "any day now(tm)". Just how many of the dozens of ancient worthies could fit into a coupe?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Farkel

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

It's Bonnie Boyd!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Talking of Cadilacs, this picture appeared in the Awake Jan 8 2003. The article was about cars and no mention was made of J F Rutherford.

A while back someone said this was a pic of him and I argued that it was not.. Now, I am not so sure, having seen the press clippings.

Surely the writing staff would not be so brazen as to put in print the pic of the second President and his cadillac, Would they???

• yknot
    yknot

I enjoy how prospective 'bible studies' as we call them now are more accurately referred to as 'prospective customers' by ol' Clayton on page 7!

Actually ... That page is filled with great BS comment-like rhetoric that might get me off comment suspension!

This is an awesome download Caba!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit