If no organized religion existed, would Bible principles work for you?

by The Berean 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• The Berean
    The Berean

None, A few, Most, Nearly All?

Examples ...

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Which principles are you talking about? Stoning rebelious children? Killing all people who have a different opinion about god?

• The Berean
    The Berean

MissingLink:

I'll take that as a NO ...

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

"Bible principles" is a rather subjective term. I suppose that some of the Ten Commandments are pretty universally accepted. Don't kill, steal, covet, etc. Love your neighbor. Be honest, loyal, and kind. The concepts are there in the Bible, but they are not unique to it. Organized religion can be positive or negative. It is basically a social organization of people who work together for a common goal or purpose. The stated goal of a religion may be similar to positive Biblical principles, but an objective look at what the religion actually does may be negative and contrary to positive Biblical principles.

For example, Jehovah's Witnesses claim to love God and neighbor. What actually happens? As an organized religion, Jehovah's Witnesses are deeply involved in material pursuits such as the aquisition of real estate, the construction of buildings, and the printing and distribution of literature. The main goal is to increase the number of adherents, which in turn will increase the acquisition of material wealth. The corporations of this religion often take steps to protect the property and material wealth in ways that go against the very principles that the religion claims to uphold. Then steps are taken to hide these facts from the rank and file. Hypocrisy is compounded by lies.

I think the same forces are at work in other large social groups. While individuals may hold to the highest of standards, large organizations fall prey to baser pursuits. imho.

Dave

• Farkel
    Farkel

The only ones that would work for me are the ones that are also found in all the other major holy books around. All of those principles are just common sense and natural human ethics, anyway.

Farkel

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Bible principals are all over from one end of the spectrum to the next.

The bible teaches genocide and slavery and on the other side of its face it teaches to love your

neighbor and turn the other cheeck.

Its a book of confusion and all who embrace it wear the confusion in their daily lives.

Thats one viewpoint.

Another would be it took the genocide and slavery and destruction of humanity to lead

us to Jesus to get our attention.

Its bizzare!

Like Dylan said you got to serve somebody.

Do you know who you serve?

• The Berean
    The Berean

From the few comments, I gather that human interpretation of what is right and wrong, good or bad is sufficient to peacefully co-exist on the planet ... and that no one common set of guidelines is necessary.

• LayingLow
    LayingLow

I think it is a very interesting question as well as to what defines Bible principles. Most people would shutter at Abraham's preparation to offer his son Isaac, or at Lot's proposal of offering his daughters to the Sodomites. So we kind of pick and choose our values from the text. When I consider "love your neighbor as yourself", I find the idea wonderful and so I accept it. My point is that I'm still the filter of the principles. So I'm still deciding what is right and what is wrong. Seems kind of terrifying if a person took a literal view of the book and put them all into action. I think that kind of nullifies the question. It's loaded....

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Jesus taught the rule , to Love your God and Love your neighbour...I have no quarrel with that . Since leaving "organised religion" I would still endeavour to follow it, The majority of people see the wisdom of treating your neighbour with respect. It is humanity, not just religion.

The principles behind the Bible laws go way back past Jesus time. it is the way we are.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

I like the principle where I get to destroy everyone who doesn't worship and obey me. I think that one would work for me quite nicely.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit