If no organized religion existed, would Bible principles work for you?

by The Berean 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Since the Bible lies, no. Rather, there are a few items that happen to be on the right track--mostly what Jesus tried to teach before it got corrupted and distorted prior to being written in the Unholy Bible.

Now, what if everyone on the planet abided by the prohibition of initiating the use of force, threats of force, or fraud against other people or their property? With zero other laws, society would move way past what we can only imagine--Atlantis would soon be left in the dust. You would see the free markets solving our problems without having someone making stupid arguments against it and passing regulations based on those stupid arguments. Eventually, we would make our own damn paradise right here on the earth, without any interference from that Almighty Lowlife Scumbag Jehovah.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I guess it all depends on what bible principles we have in mind,, some are horribly egotistical, like genocide of ones enemies simply because they worship another deity, giving huge sums to support a religious hierarchy(tithing), listening to supposed voices from God and offering up your your only begotten son as a sacrifice to a deity to prove your loyalty.

Putting an egotistical god's desire to be worshipped before everything else in one's life, wouldn't work for me. Stoning of ones children for disobedience is a little extreme, which could lead to huge amounts of jail time or land oneself on death row.

Putting an ancient code book as a moral guide for today's modern and more enlightened life style seems to be like walking backwards on a path full of pot holes.

The Jehovah of the bible seems to be preoccupied with keeping account of every ones trespasses and slights and meeting out his own twisted brand of justice be it at Armageddon or one's own death,, hardly an encouragement towards open mindedness and an honest appraisal of facts to find out what truly works,

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Of coarse if no organized religion existed neither would the bible since the bible is the product of organized religion and so you can't have one without the other it would be impossible.

• parakeet
    parakeet

If I had never heard of the Bible or religion, and was given a Bible to read for the first time, I think I would be aghast at the depictions of the OT and NT God. Not much content besides violence and sex. It should be X-rated.

I never told my son anything about the Bible until he was in his early teens. It would have given him nightmares.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

With or without organized religion, Bible principles work for me.

Bible principles are the only solid, uneroded rock in the shifting sands, conflicts, and opinions of time.

God bless,

BA

• villabolo
    villabolo

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8.

villabolo

• VIII
    VIII

Which bible principles?

Give me the list then I'll decide. As noted by MissingLink some of them would land you in jail.

BTW, I haven't coveted anything of my neighbors or killed anyone. At least today.

Also, some of my neighbors, I'll admit, I don't love as myself. They are not *great* neighbors. As *great* neighbors go. So, do I forgive them their faults? Ummm, no. I decided that they are jerks and idiots.

So, all in all, some of those principles don't work all the time.

Will I not go to Heaven? Will I burn in Hell? Will I not make it through the GT?

I just wish I knew.

• Lieu
    Lieu

...for the most part.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

This is a great question!!

I was just thinking of this the other day. I used to think everyone had sort of an "in-born" sense of right or wrong, that co-incided with Bible principles. But lately, I've been noticing that alot of people don't. I don't know if it's just a lack of common sense or common courtesy, or what.

But, yes, bible principles would work for me. But I think there are some people who need them to be written down and applied for them, with consequences for not following, or they just don't get how to behave, how to treat others or what is fair.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit