Wacked-out elder comments

by sir82 14 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

We've got an elder who looks to be at the edge of a nervous breakdown. Here is a near word-for-word synopsis of part of his service meeting talk from last night:

"Brothers, the end of this system of things is not close.
    It is not close.
    We were just at our District Convention. Did you hear them say it was close? I didn't hear them say it was close.
    [Pause]
    Brothers....
    [Pause]
    ...they said it was....
    [Pause]
    [Dramatic pause]
    [Lowering of voice by a full octave]...IMMINENT!"

Oh man, you just can't make this stuff up!

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

wow. we don't really have any off the wall dramatic elders where I'm at.

How do you hold back the laughter after hearing something like that!?

side question (don't want to derail your thread) Sir82...are you still an elder? just curious.

I alway enjoy reading your posts...as I am still attending too. :-(

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

The man needs a brain. Imminent is just another word for close.

adjective

adjoining
    close (2)
    coming
    confidential
    convenient
    immediate (2)
    intimate1 (2)
    last1
    momentary
    tactical
    threatening

http://www.answers.com/topic/near-far-distance

• undercover
    undercover

Man, you must have iron innards...to sit there and stomach that without heaving or worse.

But it does make for an oppurtunity to drop a few comments later that could get someone to thinking...

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

What word will they use next year? what is closer than IMMINENT? And how about the year after.

So, if it is IMMINENT, how does this change the behavior of the r&f?

• flipper
    flipper

SIR-82 - Hilarious. In 1974 I remember elders and circuit overseers saying over the platform , " Brothers and sisters - we don't know how close Armageddon is, but it could come at any MOMENT ! We know we are on the PRECIPICE of the new system ! If Jehovah wills we will have our next district convention in the summer of 1975 in this system , but we may be having it in the new system in the paradise ! " I just rolled my eyes at age 16 even back then. Now - here we are 34 years later. Let me pinch myself ! Ow ! Yep, I'm still here in THIS SYSTEM ! LOL! Surprise, surprise ! These poor people are so deluded

• under_believer
    under_believer

One of the classis Witness MOs is to constantly change up the terminology used, to make everything seem fresh. Congregation Servants were changed to Presiding Overseers. Now they are something else. They're no longer waiting for the New Order, or the New System, they're waiting for the New World.

The words used to describe their approaching cataclysm are no different. It was comical watching them tack new symbolic words onto the phrase "last days"--I once heard a speaker, with a completely straight face, say "BROTHERS AND SISTERS, WE ARE NOW IN THE FINAL SECONDS OF THE VERY LAST MINUTES OF THE LAST HOURS OF THE LAST DAYS." I wish I was making this up.

• Farkel
    Farkel

:They're no longer waiting for the New Order, or the New System, they're waiting for the New World.

The term "New World" was the title of a WTS book in the late 1940's or early 1950's during Knorr's tenure. So now the old terms are NEW terms!

I guess when they run out of terms, they just start recycling the old ones, hoping everyone has forgotten them. In that case, they are usually right.

Farkel

• verystupid77
    verystupid77

Oh man, you just can't make this stuff up!

I loved that remark, I was laughing so hard you just cannot make this up.

I went for the first time to the meeting last night in four months. OH MY WORD it was unreal. I heard that to about the convection too the system is so close that they can not even say how close it was. That this convection will go down as one of the greatest there ever was like the 1922 advertise advertise advertise convection.

Oh my word was the meeting ever strange. Field service, field service, field service. It was like do not work over time because you could use the time in field service. What would you do with a three day weekend go camping and enjoy the family, wrong answer. Field service. What would you do if you retired play golf wrong answer field service.

I was like you have got to be kidding me but everyone was just sitting there soaking it all up. OH MY WORD

By the way if you can look up the word imminent in on the WT CD ROM and they were using that word back in 1955

• yknot
    yknot

...Is he jockying for a position?....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit