Jehovah explained by WT

by PSacramento 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

IMO WT$ is right on the issue of using Jehovah as an English word. Everyone has to realize that in other countries the word isn't translated Jehovah but may vary greatly in pronounciation. Yehwah maybe closer to what it should have been but really it's a translation issue which Jehovah became more common in english language. There are people who come from different countries and don't use english equivelant but stick with their original pronounciation and personally I find that annoying as hell when they can just easily go by enlish equivelant when there is one. Similar with name Jehovah. In a similar manner if I moved to another country I would use their equvelant for my name if there was one and if there wasn't I would keep the english pronounciation and that's the case with Jehovah. JMHO

• Farkel
    Farkel

If God cared so darn much about the importance of using his name correctly, it would only be logical that he would make sure humans knew the exact pronunciation.

Obviously, God doesn't, so we shouldn't.

Farkel

• Earnest
    Earnest

I blame Tyndale. If he hadn't gone and translated the Bible into English (and translated the tetragrammaton as 'Jehovah') then we would still be reading the Vulgate and not be bothered about a name at all.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Diamondiiz,

The issue is that Jehovah is NOT a translation of YHWH, it is a translation of YHWH, Adonai and Elohim combined ( though some argue that it is only a combination of YHWH and Adonai), its not like Jesus whichis a translation of the greek name which is a translation of the hebrew Name, the fact is we don't know for sure how YHWH was spelled and pronounced and Jehovah was simple used because it was the most "popular" rendition.

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

Pronunciation is not the key issue about Jehovah and his name. He even has the nickname Jah, after all. He's quite tolerant (loving) about how people pronounce his name. He'd be fine with us using "He-causes-to-become", as long as we keep our facts straight.

Logically, the vowels in "Jehovah" are e,o,a in that order. This does NOT reflect "a,o,ai" of Adonai [=Lord]. But it DOES reflect e,o,a of Eloahh [=God].

• shamus100
    shamus100

He's quite tolerant (loving) about how people pronounce his name.

HOw do you know? Have you spoken to him about this?

• the research lady
    the research lady

Here is an interesting quote concerning the name Jehovah from the March 1,1991 Watchtower page 28 par. 1 under the title God's Personal Name. "Many object to the use of the name Jehovah here. It is, however, just one of the more than 200 places where that name appears in the New World Translation of the Christian Greek scriptures, the so-called New Testament. True, no early surviving Greek manuscript of the New Testament contains the personal name of God". Here the Watchtower org. is, in writing, admitting that the name is not found in any Greek manuscript but, they decided to insert it there anyway. (Revelation 22: 18-19 says "I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book;if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues which are written in this book;and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book". NASB

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

yeah Spike, how do you know the Father is so tolerant of any attempt to pronounce his name (assuming he wants us to pronouce his name)?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Spike,

While I agree that pronunciation, in terms of how we say things, is irrelevant since we are not speaking hebrew ( or greek for that matter), it is important in regards to how the name was spelled and how the name wa spelled is vital to how it was pronunced.

From there we can hazard a translation, but to combine letters from two different "names" is sheer specualtion, especially since we know that Adonai and Elohim were used as subsittutes for pronuncing the Name and not used for "filling in the gaps".

Perhaps to just use "Jah" might be the way to go...

• sacolton
    sacolton

Jer 14:14 Then the LORD said unto me, The prophets prophesy lies in my name: I sent them not, neither have I commanded them, neither spake unto them: they prophesy unto you a false vision and divination, and a thing of nought, and the deceit of their heart.

Ezek 13:2 [NIV] "Son of man, prophesy against the prophets of Israel who are now prophesying. Say to those who prophesy out of their own imagination: 'Hear the word of the LORD!
    Ezek 13:3 This is what the Sovereign LORD says: Woe to the foolish prophets who follow their own spirit and have seen nothing!
    Ezek 13:4 Your prophets, O Israel, are like jackals among ruins.
    Ezek 13:5 You have not gone up to the breaks in the wall to repair it for the house of Israel so that it will stand firm in the battle on the day of the LORD.
    Ezek 13:6 Their visions are false and their divinations a lie. They say, "The LORD declares," when the LORD has not sent them; yet they expect their words to be fulfilled.
    Ezek 13:7 Have you not seen false visions and uttered lying divinations when you say, "The LORD declares," though I have not spoken?
    Ezek 13:8 "'Therefore this is what the Sovereign LORD says: Because of your false words and lying visions, I am against you, declares the Sovereign LORD.
    Ezek 13:9 My hand will be against the prophets who see false visions and utter lying divinations. They will not belong to the council of my people or be listed in the records of the house of Israel, nor will they enter the land of Israel. Then you will know that I am the Sovereign LORD.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit