Closure of an Elder run JW forum

by CharlieBrownsLovelyDaughter 21 Replies latest jw friends

• CharlieBrownsLovelyDaughter
    CharlieBrownsLovelyDaughter

Some of you may know of a longstanding JW owned and operated forum named "Touchstone Forum" ( www.touchstoneforum.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl ).

Wrench, the elder who ran the board, closed its doors rather quickly a couple of weeks ago, and has refused to discuss the reasons for the closure. No announcement of closing. Touchstone Forum just disappeared.

A sign of this?

*** km9/07p.3QuestionBox ***

Does“thefaithfulanddiscreetslave”endorseindependentgroupsofWitnesseswhomeettogethertoengageinScripturalresearchordebate?—Matt.24: 45, 47.

No, it does not. And yet, in various parts of the world, a few associates of our organization have formed groups to do independent research on Bible-related subjects. Some have pursued an independent group study of Biblical Hebrew and Greek so as to analyze the accuracy of the NewWorldTranslation. Others explore scientific subjects related to the Bible. They have created Web sites and chat rooms for the purpose of exchanging and debating their views.

One of the brothers has created his own board as a replacement. http://www.truetheology.net

• Dagney
    Dagney

wrench/serendipity was an elder?

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Is that the same serendipity from JWD???

-Aude.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They call people indiscreet when they start up open discussion forums, even if those forums are pro-witless. What often happens is that apostates will creep in (and sometimes those apostates become apostate after they join the forum). Subtle attacks are not censored by the moderators, and before long others who were "good witlesses" begin doubting. It is possible for even the forum owner to become apostate upon seeing such comments (I believe even this board had that history).

The other thing is that, if they get on discussion boards (even if they never stray), those boards are right out there for anyone to see. When the average worldly person looks on the boards, they look stupid. Every comment is along the party line (a regular discussion forum is going to have people disagree, but not these forums). Some of the "Wasn't that a great [event]" type comments are blatant signs that the organization is not good for the mind to grow, and that could itself turn people off from joining. Which means they don't want such forums, even if they never stray.

In fact, I wonder if the Washtowel would prefer to see a forum stray into full apostasy than expose how boring the religion actually is.

Wrench is an active Elder. Serendipidity? I knew Scenario was another name he used.

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

i frequented that forum, im not sure if this has anything to do with it, but wrench was really getting destroyed in debates in the past month or so. perhaps that was his only way to get out of it. the entire mission statement of that forum is a lie, but im disapointed its gone, but not suprised.

The mission statement was self-serving to the owner's needs.

Basanite is the touchstone or proofstone that is employed to test the purity of gold. If we compare truth to gold, and the scriptures to the touchstone, when one applies the Bible to a claimed truth, it is like applying the touchstone to the gold. What will you find once the touchstone of scripture is applied to what you believe to be the truth? Will you find the real thing, or will you find something else, such as fool's gold?

Toushstone Forum? Fools gold.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

I hope the man is getting along okay. When abrupt things happen too often it means a person has encountered a serious difficulty in life. I hope this is not the case here. Hopefully he is healthy and prospering.

Marvin Shilmer

• Dagney
    Dagney

I heard Wrench was an elder before, and I found it amazing if he was an involved active one, how he could put the time into the DB's that he did.

"Serendipity" was a name he used on the old Timothy Kline "Pathways" board.

I wonder if he ever convinced anybody to his side that he debated with? I found him unbelieveably frustrating (not unlike Reniaa here) in a discussion. He would NEVER answer a question, he would only stick to his agenda.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit