Studying "What Does the Bible Really Teach?"

by homeschool 60 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• homeschool
    homeschool

Chapter 3...

Sorry, nothing really to report. I watched my body language this time & had to quit twidling my hair when I felt annoyed or skeptical. We only got to paragraph 13...I got a tiny slap on the wrist because I'd promised her that I'd look up all the scriptures ahead of time but then I didn't .

About 2 times, she asked me stuff like "do you agree that Satan went through the serpent to deceive Eve?" to which I replied, "its just something I still need to wrap my head around. Its very weird to picture a spirit slithering into a snake to speak to a woman. I'm not saying I DON'T believe it, I'm just having a hard time wrapping my brain around it."

At this point, I decided that I will start reading the bible cover to cover. I don't believe the Bible right now. But how can I say that if I haven't actually read it? I'm also reading a book on Atheism. And I just emailed one of our local Methodist churches to ask them how they view tithing, and if they believe Satan is the "ruler of this world" (my sister said most churches do not believe this).

Besty, thanks for the advice. I have a notebook/journal and am writing the things down that have been unanswered. So far, what I've got is:

*Who 1st "discovered" that YHWH translated to Jehovah?

*Supposedly YHWH created everything, right? WHERE did "bad" & "deceipt" and "evil" come from? Yes, He created us with free will. Without BAD, there's still lots to be freewillin' about, no? You could choose red, orange, green, blue, purple, black, brown, hazelnut, chocolate, white chocolate, cups, glasses, round tablecloths or square ones. Free WILL. Why was badness created? She said Chapter 11 would cover this issue.

....Till next week!

• Heaven
    Heaven

Do you think I'm a moron for studying? just curious...

No... as long as you don't sign up to the cult! I think it is very admirable of you to try to help your sister see the errors in the cult.

About your discussion on the name of God... here's a novel thought... why not call him 'Heavenly Father' like Jesus did when he prayed? Why did Jesus never use the name 'Jehovah'? As far as I'm concerned, this is one of the methods the WTS uses to try and 'prove' they are the one true religion. "See? We use his real name!" (What-Freakin'-Ever!) How many of us actually address our parents by their first names? When I use my father's first name, I feel totally weirded out (for some reason). I think it goes back to being taught that it isn't respectful. Hmmm ...

I got a tiny slap on the wrist because I'd promised her that I'd look up all the scriptures ahead of time but then I didn't .

Next time, don't 'promise' if you cannot follow through. This affects your integrity with her. Tell her you will try but you are very busy if you are unsure about being able to look up the scriptures. Only make promises to people when you actually have the ability and full intention of following through.

Keep up the good work... and try to not go insane in the process.

• homeschool
    homeschool

Thanks,Heaven. touche on the 'making promises' point. Point well taken. I felt like I redeemed myself by announcing that I will read the Bible cover to cover. That's a biggie, but I do plan on keeping my word on that one.

About your discussion on the name of God... here's a novel thought... why not call him 'Heavenly Father' like Jesus did when he prayed? Why did Jesus never use the name 'Jehovah'? As far as I'm concerned, this is one of the methods the WTS uses to try and 'prove' they are the one true religion. "See? We use his real name!" (What-Freakin'-Ever!) How many of us actually address our parents by their first names? When I use my father's first name, I feel totally weirded out (for some reason). I think it goes back to being taught that it isn't respectful. I couldn't agree more

• ninja
    ninja

what assembly was your sister at homeschool?......the one jack barr was speaking at

• homeschool
    homeschool

it was either in Knoxville, Tennessee or Salisbury, NC....why you ask?

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

My own study progresses slowly, because I do not go with the canned questions and answers. In fact, I often point out that the canned answer does not have evidence to support it in the text and ask to please show me the evidence to support that answer. Much shuffling in the Reasoning and Insight books. I also ask my own questions with the idea to get them to think. This week they sent 4 guys to visit me. I must be a novelty or amusing, or perhaps a "project".

Also, I have been recording these studies for future use. It is amazing to ask a question and get a long winded elaborate answer to a different question I did not ask, and in due season I will share some of this.

HS, study on and realize you are not alone.

• wobble
    wobble

Kurt, I would LOVE to be in your position,I don't know how long I could keep up the pretense though,I am sure I would burst out laughing and give myself away !

You must have been a spy in a former life !

please post your recordings when you are able,I need a good laugh !

Love

Wobble

• homeschool
    homeschool

Finishing up Chapter 3...

It would've been a perfect day to record this study session. I can't believe I forgot. Sorry

I was able to ask if people would be vegetarians in the new system. she said that it appears that Adam & Eve were Vegetarians & that, since the bible shows lions will eat straw as opposed to meat, it appears it will be a vegetarian planet. She made the comment how some jw's joke about it but have a really hard time imagining life without chicken wings in the paradise.I asked "I wonder what scriptures religions like 7th day Adventists use to be vegetarians in this current world". (I'll have to research that). I also said, "if it appears that Adam & Eve were vegetarians & that the paradise looks like it'll be vegetarian, wouldn't jw's strive to be vegetarian currently?" "Its really up to each individual, but I can see what you're saying" (she is also a vegetarian). "Hmmmmm" is all I responded with.

Paragraph 17 allowed me to bring out my recent birthday cards that I received. She asked, "don't you see all the war and killings and wickedness on this earth?" I said, "To be honest, and I dont want to get off topic with birthday celebrations. but can I show you two of the birthday cards I received on Saturday?" They were from 2 close friends. There was NO idolotry in them...they were very detailed by saying how proud they are of me with what I've accomplished with each year & how much they appreciate I was born & how grateful they are to have me in their lives. I said "THESE are the types of people I've encountered over the years. I know there are wicked people out there, but really, for the most part, people ARE good & not self serving. These cards represent the love I've been shown by most people". Then, pulling someone's comment from my 'birthday celebrations' thread, I said "I was talking to somebody on Saturday & they asked me what my family did for my birthday. I explained that they don't celebrate birthdays because of reasons that the only 2 birthdays mentioned in the Bible, people died. To which my friend said 'Well, do they wear makeup? because the only mention of makeup in the Bible is of Jezebel, who was a pagan and who died as a result of her wickedness." And that was it. We moved on. She didn't really respond except to say "interesting". Mission accomplished . she didnt argue but read the cards & heard me. I'm gonna drop that topic...for awhile.

Here's where I REALLY wished I recorded the conversation...there is a scripture we looked up where she explained how important it is to read the bible and not just take people's words for what they say. She didn't even realize that she doesnt listen to her own advice. I've mentioned earlier that I'm about to embark on reading the bible, cover to cover. I asked her if she would do the same reading, in her own private time, but so that we'd be on the same page. She said "Well, we have bible discussions at the meetings. we're supposed to read certain chapters and then someone gives a talk with their comments & then people are able to raise their hands & give their own take on what they read". I said "C'mon! This is a HUGE deal for me! I'm going to actually read the Bible cover to cover! Just do it with me so you know where I'm at & what I've read!" She agreed...we're gonna read the first 3 chapters of Genesis tonight on our own.

Till next Monday...

• homeschool
    homeschool

...as a sidenote, I went walking with my sister today. She mentioned the vegetarian topic to her husband, who reiterated that its "a personal choice" if people want to eat meat or not. I told her I googled Seventh Day Adventists last night & found a page describing why they are vegetarians. Basically, they dont consume anything that doesnt glorify god: meat, caffeine, alcohol, refined sugar. The 7th Day website quoted many scriptures backing up their beliefs.

*** Keep in mind, I don't even believe the Bible is the truth at this point in life. The reason that I'M a vegetarian has nothing to do with the beliefs discussed.

She mentioned how, after the flood, god allowed people to eat meat. "why do you suppose that is, Homeschool?" "I responded, 'well, if there was a worldwide flood, then maybe food was scarce'

"Exactly" she said.

I asked, "But food was scarce. We havent had a flood like that since then. If god only allowed it at the time because there was no other food, but his intentions were for Adam & Eve to be vegetarians & his plans for the paradise wont include eating meat....shouldnt christians strive to not eat meat?"

She agreed....or at least apperaed to agree.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

homeschool,

I really appreciate your posting these thoughts and I like your logic on the not eating meat......I had asked my wife one time why the folks in the JW books are shown clothed when in 'paradise earth'.......once restored to a paradise won't clothing be unnecessary??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit