Studying "What Does the Bible Really Teach?"

by homeschool 60 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• homeschool
    homeschool

I can't believe it. I've actually had two studies with my sister from that book. Yesterday, she told me I was being argumentative. That is NOT what I'm trying to accomplish. I don't want to merely 'make a point'...I want to get her OUT! The question I asked was about YHWH...I said that I totally understand that most people do not speak Hebrew so its important to translate all that stuff. But if you have a name representing the 'most high' & Almighty God, and the 1st translation only has 2 syllables (YA-Weh)....why translate it further? Why make more translations? If his name is to be primarily used & they stress that point religiously, then why didn't they show the world his true name is YaweH?

My sister made a point about how most religions of the 'world' pray to god, but that there are so many gods out there....she stated that even Satan is a god. Almost within the same breath, she switched it up and said that its okay to call Jehooba 'Provider', 'Caretaker', or whatever is needed during the time of prayer because Jehooba knows you are referring to Him. I pointed out that it sounded very similar to what she said about ten minutes prior. When most "worldly" people pray to god, THEY know who they are referring to, so doesnt Jehooba know they are referring to Him as well?

I dont even believe the Bible is the truth, so this is tough for me. I do believe in god, whoever he/she is. And I believe god knows who I'm praying to when I pray, even if I'm uncertain. Those two points do make me wonder though....maybe the jw apologists can help me understand.

The site below discusses the book, chapter by chapter...very interesting. However, I must pick and choose what I'm going to 'argue' about since there is SO much to choose from!

http://www.freeminds.org/doctrine/publications/what-does-the-bible-really-teach.html?q=bible+teach

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

I don't think a study is the best way to get her out.

• homeschool
    homeschool

What do you suggest then? I've ordered Releasing The Bonds, by Steven Hassan...it hasnt arrived yet.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Homeschool: "My sister made a point about how most religions of the 'world' pray to god, but that there are so many gods out there....she stated that even Satan is a god."

Your sister has just acknowledged that she believes in other gods.

It's just that out of all the gods available, she decided to pick Jehovah as her household god.

Wonder why? What can he do that the other gods can't?

Homeschool: " Almost within the same breath, she switched it up and said that its okay to call Jehooba 'Provider', 'Caretaker', or whatever is needed during the time of prayer because Jehooba knows you are referring to Him."

So, if you just call jova "Supreme Being" he still knows you are referring to him, according to that.

That fits right in with Masonic teaching.

Is that a watchtower teaching, or is your sister branching out on her own religious bent there?

Does Watchtower recognize the 72 names for god?

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

I suggest you just let her do what she wants, ultimately you are responsible for yourself & she for herself.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

I have tried to ask specific questions as my wife has been 'studying the bible (reading the bible teach book)' and it tends to just go into a circular reasoning....when a question is asked or a statement made, you need to ensure that you have your sister in her authentic mode, not the JW mode, otherwise she will just close up and it will fuel the prosecution complex that the WTS has told her she will see as she studies with them.....

Go to Tim Kilgore's site on youtube and listen to some of his tough questions for Jehovah's Witnesses, they are well prepared and at least they can encourage some true thinking.......and good luck!

Let me know if anything you do works!!

• oompa
    oompa

thanks for that link.....sounds like good advice "listen and take it slow".......have you made a dent?......will you make a dent?......i tried for almost three years with wife....no dent at all dammit..............oompa

• homeschool
    homeschool

Parrot....when she decides that her children cannot play with my future children or let them attend birthday parties and what-not, it won't be about me. I'm thinking of the future. If I believed that her thinking was truly HER thinking, I'd let it go. But she is being mind controlled, and that is not okay with me.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

homeschool- regarding the use of the name Jehovah in prayer I would probably ask your sister what she thinks could happen if, let's say, Satan thought a prayer addressed to God was addressed to him.

Regarding the questions- the hope is that they can at least plant a seed of doubt in her. Perhaps you will not see immediate results....

check your pm...I just sent you one...

• homeschool
    homeschool

you need to ensure that you have your sister in her authentic mode, not the JW mode, otherwise she will just close up and it will fuel the prosecution complex that the WTS has told her she will see as she studies with them.....Very good point indeed. Problem is, she's pretty much ALWAYS in jw mode, except in rare circumstances when I'm playing lude hip hop and she tells me not to change it or when I offer her a 3rd glass of wine and she gladly accepts it

regarding the use of the name Jehovah in prayer I would probably ask your sister what she thinks could happen if, let's say, Satan thought a prayer addressed to God was addressed to him.Isaac, what do you suppose her response would be? Thanks for the PM's, muchas gracias

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit