Oldest bible being put online - what will that mean for WTS teachings?

by Simon 76 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Earnest
    Earnest

It didn't occur to me that there might be some ulterior motive in digitizing this ancient manuscript. It is one of the oldest and most valuable documents held by the British Library and it seems a public service to make it more widely available for those interested. Is there also an ulterior motive in digitizing the Magna Carta, or any other famous documents? I can almost imagine similar speculation when the printing press made consistently accurate copies of manuscripts more widely available. But it is only a beginning. In order to be relevant to textual criticism many more of the early papyri and codices will need to be digitized but I am sure that will come with time.

PSacramento : one wonders if Denomination A believed they were the "right one" because they had verison 1.2 and Denomination B had version 1.4, or that Denomination C was correct because they had version 1.7 and the other version were "obsolete".

This was certainly true in the case of Marcion who not only excluded the Old Testament from Christian scripture but also any writings which associated Christians with the God of the Jews. The need for deciding on the Bible canon was in large part necessary because of Marcion's very selective determination of what the Word of God was.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Codex sinaiticus, which is now put online for the broad public, has already for years and years been included as one of the major sources of the NWT - so the only difference it could possibly make, would be that those of you who know ancient Greek, could see the autencity and truthfulness of today's delivered text. Nothin' more - but of course, in the eyes of some of us, that just ain't something small. I've started to learn NT Greek - and that's the only way to be able to read these texts.

• Earnest
    Earnest

One thing that I do think will raise an eyebrow or two is the abbreviation of sacred names, known by the Latin term nomina sacra, such as KY for Kyrios. I have never seen this indicated in any English translation and it is, at first, a bit disconcerting when you come across it. These abbreviations are one of the reasons that Paul Kahle and others held that God's name was used by the early Christians.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

It would add to the credibility of the NWT if the Bible they just found had a picture of a Dinasaur on the inside cover.

Rub a Dub

• steve2
    steve2

The 3 great religions of the world - Judaism, Christianity and Islam - have in common a belief in a talking snake (see Genesis for details). Watch the fundamentalists in each of these religions defend the "purity" of the Scriptural sources of their belief in the talking snake who helped change the course of human history.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

This is great news.

• warmasasunned
    warmasasunned

well its all greek to me or is it hebrew? ...

i know i`ll ask reniaa, she seems to be an authority on everything.....

oh reniaa could you also tell me what the lottery numbers are for this week i`m sure you know....

do you think she comes on here to make sure we stay xjw`s.

• sacolton
    sacolton

The only important scripture for me is John 1:1. The Word was God ... or [a] god?

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

The Bible we have now has been manipulated for centuries. Each translation a little bit different; a word changed here and there and viola! a whole new meaning!

How do you know this manuscript will be "The Truth"?

How do you know it is not being presented to lead the masses into a new direction as part of a very old, well planned agenda?

Many people have realized the inconsistencies in scriptures and doctrines. Perhaps they will be more accepting of something "new" simply because they need to replace the lies. I am sure something twisted will come out of this. Religion will always be divisive--no matter what.

This whole thing could also be just as contrived as what we have today!

Wag the Dog!

• watson
    watson
    Oldest bible being put online - what will that mean for WTS teachings?

Not to worry. The WT scholars will investigate and get back to us with any important news.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit